Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
AAA Rate

Just noticed that when I click on an AAA rate it now asks for my AAA number.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
It doesn't ask me. Marriott may be rolling out a system similar to Hilton's, where they require the AAA number on booking.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Doesn't ask me either. I wouldn't have a problem w/ it asking the # if there was the ability to store the #. I don't use AAA enough to have the # memorized & would hate to have to dig out the wallet to get the card each time I wanted to book using the rate.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I've often wondered why they didn't ask for this. I've booked the AAA rate for lots of different properties and have actually been asked for my card only once or twice.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatt askss for the AAA number when you make a reservation and apparently has no way to store the number. Very annoying.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
It does remember your AAA number once entered. But it doesn't always ask for the number. If it does ask, when you click on the AAA rate, your AAA number appears.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
AAA Rate

The bigger question is, does the AAA rate provide any benefit at MR properties, particularly on weekdays? I have done bookings where the AAA rate would be as high (or higher!) than the standard rate. I compare this to HH where the AAA discount can be meaningful.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by keeton
The bigger question is, does the AAA rate provide any benefit at MR properties, particularly on weekdays? I have done bookings where the AAA rate would be as high (or higher!) than the standard rate. I compare this to HH where the AAA discount can be meaningful.
Most of the time I've seen better rates w/ AAA, but not always.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Most of the time I've seen better rates w/ AAA, but not always.
Ditto.

I agree it is frustrating when the AAA rate isn't a discount. Most of the time this happens, though, the "regular" rate really isn't regular; it's a weekend discount, a long-term stay discount, or an MR elite exclusive rate. And I'm not even counting all the times a prepaid rate is cheaper than the much more flexible AAA rate.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
For me, the AAA rate is a usually a little lower than the pay-in-advance rate but without paying in advance. The stay can also usually be canceled up to the day before the stay. I've NEVER been asked for my number when reserving or my card at check-in.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:50 am

I rarely get asked for the AAA card at check-in, but when it happens it seems to be more w/ the int'l properties. The Prague Marriott wanted to copy my AAA card (I said no). I was in London one time & had an overnight stay at LHR Ren w/ AAA (used to be a really great rate there - dirt cheap). I stayed there before & not asked for the card. That time I was. I explained that it was so rare for me to be asked for the card that I stopped carrying it when traveling overseas. They made an exception for me & ever since then if I book a AAA rate I make sure I have the card with me just in case.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My AAA office can email me an image of my card. It might be good to request that as a backup, just in case you need the card and don't have it.

BTW, I keep an expired AAA card handy in my vehicle for easy access to their road service numbers and my membership number.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by keeton
In addition to AAA, we also qualify for Senior/AARP rates. I check them all when reserving a room. Almost always the AAA rate is less expensive than the non-prepay rate for the same room. Quite often though the Senior rate is a few dollars less than that.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jalves
In addition to AAA, we also qualify for Senior/AARP rates. I check them all when reserving a room. Almost always the AAA rate is less expensive than the non-prepay rate for the same room. Quite often though the Senior rate is a few dollars less than that.
What Senior/AARP rates???? I've never seen any AARP rates at Marriott. All I see is Senior rates, which when you select them, say:
Marriott Senior Discount, 62 years and older valid ID required
That's not at all the same as AARP which you can fully join at age 50 (and their some sort of membership that's possible at an even earlier age I think).

So do you really qualify for the Senior rates (which is based on age) or for AARP (which is based on membership)? I don't understand.

(I've had AARP since I was 50, which has qualified me for discounts at some other hotel programs that are sometimes below AAA, but I"m not 62 yet, so I don't see how I qualify for Marriott's Senior rates.)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:04 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My AAA office can email me an image of my card. It might be good to request that as a backup, just in case you need the card and don't have it.

BTW, I keep an expired AAA card handy in my vehicle for easy access to their road service numbers and my membership number.
Why do that when i can just download the AAA app on your phone?...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.