Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
I could not continue to book when I mistyped my number, so it seems like that would be a solid deterrent.
Yeah - it sounds like it is working brilliantly
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't have a problem w/ them asking for the # (I'm a member), but wish they would store the #.

Cheers.
dougef likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm all for this. I'm sure there are plenty of fraudulent bookings, and this should help ensure that they keep the AAA rates around.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:14 pm

I'm all in support of this... but like @rylan said, the current website is an absolute mess. It's quite obvious from the non-functional site and overly-cutesy fonts, some millennials have infiltrated the IT department. I have no problem with them asking for the AAA number, but at least let me store it in my profile.

Also, bring back the old website...please. The new one's borderline useless. It can't even properly scale photos -- that's something we mostly mastered 20+ years ago. The Promotions tab on my account doesn't even work.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:57 pm

I don't get it.

I am from Germany and I'm a member of the ADAC (the German equivalent to AAA). They are partnering with the AAA, so I could always book AAA-rates at Marriott:

https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/AAA2018InternationalDiscountCard_9848.pdf

What do I do now? Neither Marriott, nor ADAC could answer that yet?

This is bulls***
htb likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Same here, from Sweden and a member of the Swedish equivalent to AAA, so we are entitled to AAA rates at Marriott hotels - just like the ADAC members.

Don't know how Marriott can handle my 5 digit membership number.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bacchus85
I don't get it.

I am from Germany and I'm a member of the ADAC (the German equivalent to AAA). They are partnering with the AAA, so I could always book AAA-rates at Marriott:

https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/AAA2018InternationalDiscountCard_9848.pdf

What do I do now? Neither Marriott, nor ADAC could answer that yet?

This is bulls***
Originally Posted by nacho
Same here, from Sweden and a member of the Swedish equivalent to AAA, so we are entitled to AAA rates at Marriott hotels - just like the ADAC members.

Don't know how Marriott can handle my 5 digit membership number.
Depending upon how Marriott validates the number, you may be able to do as HH does and put in the club number and be able to book the AAA rates. The AAA account number includes a check-digit that allows using a formula to ensure the number meets their format regardless being active or not. The other option is to use an API service to confirm the number is active. I've yet to see any of the sites, including AAA, to match up the member name with the card number. That is left up to the merchant since it's their revenue that is being reduced.

I went to confirm this using my expired AAA number, but I was not required to enter the number. Is this property/brand specific? I chose a heavy tourist location (Orlando), but no issue.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like another poor implementation where Marriott web designers just went based on the american AAA number format, and didn't consider the impacts to other countries discount cards.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Is this property specific? I've tried two AAA bookings,states apart, and I was never asked for a number. I would have expected this to be site-wide, but apparently not.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may also be that AAA has not authorized third-party storage of the number. I haven't checked AAA's privacy policy. Part of the data breach problem is the amount of information which is stored where it need not be stored. Convenience might not trump security and that's fine from where I sit.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rylan
Sounds like another poor implementation where Marriott web designers just went based on the american AAA number format, and didn't consider the impacts to other countries discount cards.
How many other countries have American Automobile Association/Canadian Automobile Association numbers?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
How many other countries have American Automobile Association/Canadian Automobile Association numbers?
Many have their own program with a cooperative agreement to allow visitors access to local services/discounts. Just because it says AAA, doesn't mean it's limited to AAA. Hilton does/did the same but allowed entering in your three digit club code when not AAA.

I can't see an issue with storing your membership number in the profile, other than the designers not wanting/willing to do it. But a trick I use is I have a notepad file with numbers/info I need on a frequent basis so I can copy and paste when needed. I get hosed by sites that prevent pasting data into a field and I'm forced to type it, but I can have my file visible so typing is not so tough. DO NOT put passwords in a clear text file!!! But hints to the password are fine: MR: my 2o18 passw0rd
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I wonder if my CAA number would be accepted. Yes CAA is the Canadian equivalent of the AAA.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
I wonder if my CAA number would be accepted. Yes CAA is the Canadian equivalent of the AAA.
Since the search page says AAA/CAA, I'm sure you're good to go. Don't be put off when you look at the rate details and it only mentions AAA. I still haven't found a property that requested the number to be entered so not even having a card will book. HOWEVER, you run the risk of the FDC requesting to see (and maybe even copy) your card to prove eligibility (that is in the details so don't complain). I do not suggest you can get away with it, but we know YMMV with different FDCs.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
It may also be that AAA has not authorized third-party storage of the number. I haven't checked AAA's privacy policy. Part of the data breach problem is the amount of information which is stored where it need not be stored. Convenience might not trump security and that's fine from where I sit.
Hilton supposedly will save your AAA and AARP numbers in your profile as they are required to make reservations. However, it appears to only be saved for one day. When I go back several days later, I'm still required to enter the numbers and they do not show in my profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.