Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Twenty years ago, it was common for AAA to be set at a 10% discount from BAR; these days, you're lucky to see it at 3-4% off BAR.

My own experience is that it is far easier to secure a AAA rate at IHG and Hilton properties vs. Marriott properties.
This is probably location-driven. The AAA rates at a couple of properties I frequent in NoVa are sometimes closer to 15% compared to rack rate. The only rate I've seen better at those places are with my employer's corporate rate (unpublished).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I use AAA at Marriott all the time. Like others have noted, it's a good way to get approximately the prepaid rate with usually a 48-hour cancel. Often 10-15% better than the non-AAA cancellable rate.

It's almost *always* in a reasonable range from the current BAR. It is not independently (from the going BAR) correlated to the rack rate at all - otherwise I'm sure we'd all run into weird scenarios where the AAA is way out of synch (higher or lower) than other available rates, and that isn't the case.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
AAA Hot Deal Rates - Points and Status

Can I still get points and credit towards status with a stay booked at an AAA hot deal rate?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes..
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador; AA Exec Plat; UA Silver
Absolutely! I do it all of the time.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ewrfll77
Can I still get points and credit towards status with a stay booked at an AAA hot deal rate?
If my memory is correct, the standard is that the promotional rate needs to be "publicly available", which it certainly is in this case. I have never had an issue with receiving points for any stay where I booked any AAA rate.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Required to Input AAA membership number now

Encountered this for the first time today. When trying to book a AAA-rate room, there is a new page that requires you to enter your AAA membership number. I have no idea whether it actually validates that number in any way, and it wasn't a big deal for me since I am actually a AAA member. Personally, I have no problem with this, but just wanted to note that this is new I believe.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by dcchi
Encountered this for the first time today. When trying to book a AAA-rate room, there is a new page that requires you to enter your AAA membership number. I have no idea whether it actually validates that number in any way, and it wasn't a big deal for me since I am actually a AAA member. Personally, I have no problem with this, but just wanted to note that this is new I believe.
I got this new intercept page for several bookings recently. It would be really nice for MR to store the AAA member information but it appears not to, since it pops up for each reservation. Hilton has had this for years, but at least you can store AAA info in your profile and only have to do it once.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Probably a good idea, even if the system is only validating whether it meets certain criteria of a valid AAA number. I am sure it will deter people from selecting the rate when they aren't a AAA member.

I book many AAA rates through concur... I wonder if a similar validation will be required on their system, or if this is unique to booking direct?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just another 'feature' of the website implemented poorly, as there is no way to store it. But then again, Marriott can't even keep me logged in on the website while navigating around to various pages or when trying to submit feedback. The website is a f'in mess.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, it would be nice if they allowed the membership number to be stored as part of your profile and pull it up for subsequent bookings. There is a formula to determine if a AAA number is "correct". Some sites also provide an API call to validate numbers including if active. I've seen some sites that allow just using the club number to book the special rate and leave it up to the property to confirm membership by looking at a card, be it physical or an app rendition.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Choice asks you to enter it and wont store it either...yet it will allow you to save your corporate rate code (if you have one).
Strange.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I hate this crap and yes I'm a legitimate paying AAA member

make it like the gov't rates, you better prove it to the FDC or sorry charlie

don't make input that ridiculous AAA number each time I search for an effing room
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I've always disliked the fact that Hilton and Choice require this upfront (and I can never get Hilton to save my AAA number, even on my Hilton Honors app). That said, I have never had a Marriott front desk ask to see my AAA card at check-in, and now with mobile check-in they don't even always ask for driver's license/photo id.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi
I have no idea whether it actually validates that number in any way, and it wasn't a big deal for me since I am actually a AAA member.
There must be some type of validation because yesterday I entered my AAA number incorrectly (twice) and got a message that it was an invalid number.

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
I am sure it will deter people from selecting the rate when they aren't a AAA member.
I could not continue to book when I mistyped my number, so it seems like that would be a solid deterrent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.