Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by araknis
Regarding the water temp, I'm a bit surprised to read all the reviews stating that the pool water is cold. I'm on the sunrise side and the pool water probably ranges from 78-81F. What's interesting is that the ocean water is cooler than the pool water by 1-2 degrees and I haven't seen anyone comment that the ocean water is cold.
My north facing pool was definitely a few degrees colder than the ocean. The sunset pool was a few degrees warmer. Made a big difference though.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:24 am

For those of you who have already stayed there, how far in advance of your reservation do they reach out to you to confirm your details ?
Thank you
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by beastieb
For those of you who have already stayed there, how far in advance of your reservation do they reach out to you to confirm your details ?
Thank you
I did not stay there yet, but I'm staying on the last week of March and I had two emails. One was regarding my flight details which was 26 days prior to my check in date. And another regarding interests, hobbies, etc. 36 days prior (that included the flight details as well).

But maybe because I did not respond to the first email, they sent a second one.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Avis, United
Originally Posted by beastieb
Thank you
~3 weeks for my case.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
anyone been inside the John Jacob Astor Estate?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by huynhc
There's a trip report on DDF of someone getting a tour of it and I have seen various reports of when asking if the rooms are empty you can get a tour of the John Jacob Astor Estate and the other room types.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...497#msg1674497
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

The John Jacob Astor is huge! It's fun to take a look if you're there biking around the dock. It has an enormous pool with its own overwater sand beach on the main floor, another pool, spa treatment rooms, kitchen and pantry for your private chef, etc...

We actually preferred the decor in our overwater bungalow over this place but it is very impressive to see and the largest one in the Maldives.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by huynhc
Video tour of the John Jacob Astor Estate available here:

Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
We arrived on February 11 for a five night stay using 126k SPG points. Arrived in MLE on Qatar Airways at around 8:45am. The flight was only about 4 hours long but it's a red eye so that flat bed was was appreciated.

Arrival into MLE
We were greeted upon exiting baggage claim. I was very impressed that they efficiently took care of our TMA check-in and luggage formalities, unlike our lengthy experience with the Conrad a few years ago. We were driven in a van to the Great Room.

The Great Room isn't actually very big. I would say the actual lounge area is only about 600 sq ft. Non-alcoholic drinks were offered and there was a self-serve dry mini-bar. Two restrooms (including one with shower; towels and toiletries available) in the rear. I was surprised that there was no food served in the lounge. I wasn't looking for meals, but some light snacks would have been appreciated. I also didn't see any toys which my 2 year daughter would have enjoyed. Both snacks and toys are mentioned as being offered in the Great Room on their website:
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/streg...nId=1039014177

After an hour wait, we were then ushered to wait about 5 minutes in the TMA boarding lounge next door. We did not receive the amenity kit (including ear plugs).

Arrival at the Resort
After a stop at one of the Anantara resorts, we landed at the St. Regis. Sadaam was our butler and throughout our stay he provided excellent service to us. Friendly without being stuffy, he attended to all of our needs without the sales pitch we received from the island hosts at the Conrad and Park Hyatt. We got the feeling he genuinely wanted us to have an excellent stay and we were not disappointed.

FYI, Sadaam previously worked at the Shangri-La. We asked the staff where they previously worked including Gili Lankanfushi, Conrad Maldives and Conrad Koh Samui. One of the chefs at Alba worked for 10 years between both Four Seasons Maldives resorts.

Villa
We requested and were granted a north facing villa for privacy, 524. Not much more to add other than that the accommodations are very comfortable. My wife said that the bed was the most she's slept in and she's stayed at Four Seasons and Aman. I agree that the pool in the north facing villas are a bit chilly due to lack of sun light exposure. But when we got into the pool for a minute or so, the body acclimates to the water temperature. YMMV.

Nespresso capsules are refilled twice a day. My daughter enjoys drinking milk and Saddam was so kind to bring a 1 litre box for her (a mini refrigerator is available to store any personal items).

The hotel was very kind in setting up the sofa bed for my daughter. I wanted to mention this because when I made the reservation with SPG, they said that additional bedding would incur a $100 per night surcharge. I initially wanted to save $500++ by having our daughter share the king bed with us.

Restaurants
The breakfast at Alba is excellent and we were fine paying $68 per person. My wife, daughter and I languidly enjoyed two hours stuffing ourselves. My wife certainly enjoyed the unlimited mimosas and bellinis while my daughter really liked the noodles and ice cream. I had foie gras every morning. We did not eat lunch except one one day we share a children's pizza at Crust.

Of the three restaurants for dinner, we liked Cargo the best. My wife and I like middle eastern food though we didn't really like the outdoor "jungle" setting. We thought that Cargo was the most reasonably priced of the three.

I found it strange that when we initially called the operator to make a reservation for Cargo, he said that the restaurant was full. I asked Sadaam and he was able to squeeze us in. When we dined at Cargo, only two of the eight or ten tables were occupied by the time we finished at 8:00pm.

Facilities

We spent many hours by the main pool outside Alba. My daughter had so much fun every day in the kiddie pool. There's plenty of free sunscreen and some aloe after care gel near the kiddie pool and at Crust.

The main beach is right in front of Alba and and the main pool. However, one afternoon, we decided to spend time on the beach right outside Orientale near the bridge leading towards the spa. It's shaded in the afternoon and much more quiet. The staff at Orientale are available nearby if you need drinks.

My daughter went to the kids club every day and she really had fun. The facility is very clean and there are multiple rooms for the kids. She enjoyed the cupcake decorating class, baking cookies, and making salads. The counsellors were very patient with the children. Oksana from Ukraine especially was both very kind but also verbally disciplined children as needed.

My wife visited the spa and she was very impressed.

Overall, I think 5 days is enough (actually 5.5 days because we had an early check in and our return flight left at 3:45pm).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
FYI, Sadaam previously worked at the Shangri-La. We asked the staff where they previously worked including Gili Lankanfushi, Conrad Maldives and Conrad Koh Samui. One of the chefs at Alba worked for 10 years between both Four Seasons Maldives resorts.
Do you happen to remember what nationalities the staff that worked for Conrad Koh Samui were?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Do you happen to remember what nationalities the staff that worked for Conrad Koh Samui were?
Yes, the one employee I met who worked at the Conrad Koh Samui is Thai. Her name is Pop and she was working at Alba. A very delightful lady who was so engaging with my daughter.

Our butler Sadaam is Maldivian. I would say that over half of the staff were Maldivian. Another very friendly butler with whom I struck up a conversation was Midori from Osaka. The rest were from other parts of Asia, with the exception of the GM who I think is Irish based on his accent during our conversation at the jetty upon arrival.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:17 pm

We arrived on February 11 for a five night stay using 126k SPG points. Arrived in MLE on Qatar Airways at around 8:45am. The flight was only about 4 hours long but it's a red eye so that flat bed was was appreciated.
Did you get the 5 nights for 126k points under a special rate or is that the standard rate for a villa at this location? Just trying to plan for a future trip Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
Did you get the 5 nights for 126k points under a special rate or is that the standard rate for a villa at this location? Just trying to plan for a future trip Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry, I meant to say 130k points, which comes out to 26k per night. Sorry, as far as I know, that rate is long one. I believe the current rate is 90k per night but I'm not sure if that's for a garden villa or overwater villa.

Another note to those taking young children, in addition to the very good kids club, meals at Alba for our daughter were comped, not at Cargo or Orientale. Also, my daughter was not charged the $650 seaplane airfare, even though she occupied a seat.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Arrival into MLEI was surprised that there was no food served in the lounge. I wasn't looking for meals, but some light snacks would have been appreciated.
The food is in the back and needs to be requested. Muffin, Croissants, and Sandwiches were offered. I had the blueberry muffin (they heat it up for you) on arrival and the chicken sandwich on departure. Both were better than I expected.

Espresso drinks are also offered and I noticed they prepare them better than they do at Alba (temperature and espresso/milk ratio were spot on)! They use a super automatic espresso machine with illy beans.

They will also provide cut fruit for you if you request it. There is a big bowl near the front and you can just point out the fruits you want cut.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

Overall, I think 5 days is enough (actually 5.5 days because we had an early check in and our return flight left at 3:45pm).
I'm arriving on the same flight that you did, leaving on the 8 pm flight. Was the 3:45 pm flight from the hotel the last flight out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.