Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 11:41 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Darn... we arrive Friday. I'd have extended had this been earlier.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:24 am
kkl

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
From my Ambassador: "The promotion for 35% off reward stays is good through March 5, 2018. You must stay between now and then as this promotion is ineligible for stays starting after March 5, 2018. The deadline to book is also March 5, 2018, the last day possible to stay. This promotional rate is subject to availability."

Is this for all properties? or select properties like paradise is closer?

Last edited by kkl; May 10, 2017 at 1:12 am
Old May 10, 2017, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
Originally Posted by Ksw299
You would be losing the upgrade as this resort would not even upgrade platinum members (confirmed by email).
Two data points/anecdotal evidence: past two clients got confirmed upgrades prior to arrival (by booking under LP and having their agent reach out to the GM directly).

I think my point was more (in general): at this kind of resots, don´t rely on status alone...the stay is too expensive to do so.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by Rossello321
Two data points/anecdotal evidence: past two clients got confirmed upgrades prior to arrival (by booking under LP and having their agent reach out to the GM directly).

I think my point was more (in general): at this kind of resots, don´t rely on status alone...the stay is too expensive to do so.
I meant you would be losing on the upgrade if you book directly with the resort as they confirmed to me via email they would not upgrade platinum members.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by kkl
Is this for all properties? or select properties like paradise is closer?
its only for properties listed in paradise is closer promotion - though the list for this year is not available online yet.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The breakfast is excellent although service could be a little patchy, the breakfast and accompanying bottomless booze was simply the best I have had in any hotel anywhere worldwide.

Don't forget you have the seaplane transfers too to pay for so you are in almost $2k before a single meal. Spa treatments we thought were pretty good value for money but will add a chunk to your costs too.

We used the minibar quite a bit but brought our own premium mixers (I don't like Schweppes anyway), which was good value overall. Room service is bizarrely the best value dining option (and most comprehensive).

The Decanter dinner was excellent and fabulous value for money as well as both informative and entertaining.

Cargo was also great and pretty good value for money overall.

The other outlets were a tad hit and miss except Crust and it is a real shame that Crust is not open in the evenings.

I had mentally budgeted at around $1k per night all in and came in at a little bit under but we didn't really try to save money just to ensure we had no nasty surprises. We did drink a bit both in the villa and beyond it as we would anywhere else. The only real issues with dining I would say are the Whale Bar which had outrageously expensive tapas (I think we did over $600 at a dinner there) and Orientale where the basic food value and portion size were good but the service far too haphazard.
Thanks for all the details - yes this is going to be an extremely expensive trip even with room paid off with points which is making me think twice now about this property.

You can probably do a full board at a non branded resort and save all the points - may be use it for a OWB in bora bora.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Don't forget you have the seaplane transfers too to pay for so you are in almost $2k before a single meal.
Not sure how $645 x 2 people RT = $1290 (all in) is "almost $2k".

Also, I would have to say the mini-bar in the room is actually a pretty decent deal. The prices for the mid-size bottles of liquor are very comparable to Vegas mini-bar prices. Maybe even cheaper.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:02 pm
kkl

its only for properties listed in paradise is closer promotion - though the list for this year is not available online yet.
Called up spg and they aren't sure about this promo. Might give it a few days and see how it goes
Old May 11, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by kkl
Called up spg and they aren't sure about this promo. Might give it a few days and see how it goes
The promo has only been confirmed for St. Regis Maldives. It is valid and confirmed by corporate. Most agents aren't aware of the terms, but can book it.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Anyone booked 2 rooms at this resort for the same dates? Wondering if Plat benefits (mainly breakfast) apply to both rooms or just one.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by araknis
Not sure how $645 x 2 people RT = $1290 (all in) is "almost $2k".

Also, I would have to say the mini-bar in the room is actually a pretty decent deal. The prices for the mid-size bottles of liquor are very comparable to Vegas mini-bar prices. Maybe even cheaper.
I thought the transfers were a bit more than that as they were ++ (happy to be corrected however as I didn't scrutinise it that closely) but as I said the minbar was pretty decent value I wouldn't use Vegas as a price comparison though, the minibar was cheaper than buying drinks in the bars in the resort. We did that too but for the location the minibar was a reasonable deal, wish they had nicer gin than Bombay though.

The resort itself is great, the OWV are excellent but I didn't like the look of the standard beach villas.

I personally don't think you have a great experience if you are constantly looking at the cost but appreciate others will view this differently. I thought the OWV though was perfect holiday accommodation being hugely spacious with a great aspect, very high quality fit, decent size private pool and very spacious deck.

Whilst I would baulk at paying the full whack here because the price is pretty full for the level of overall service, however if the service issues were ironed out it would almost make sense.

I think the cheaper resorts offer a different sort of experience. If you just want to go to the Maldives and compromise on accommodation, facilities etc. then you can do better elsewhere but I would prefer the better experience that the SR offers even with some of the service quality issues which I am sure will iron out with some time.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Don't know - when I called they said its 58.5k / night for the dates I am looking for. Its definitely not low season as its Christmas time.
Were they giving a fifth night free as well, or was that 90K x 4 nights + 1 night free?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:55 pm
kkl

According to TPG it seems like paradise to closer promo?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:03 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The resort itself is great, the OWV are excellent but I didn't like the look of the standard beach villas.
We are in beach villa 305. The pool is somewhat hidden from passersby. At the Sheraton Maldives last night they upgraded us to an OTW villa, as did the W Maldives in 2015. The beach villa reminds me a bit of the Vanna Belle in Koh Samui. Maybe we should take a tour of the OWV? Wonder what the upsell would cost as we are here on points for 3 nights.

The new GM greeted us. His second stint in the Maldives and this is his first weekend at the property.

Our butler pre-booked Cargo for us for tonight. Tomorrow night he booked Orientale for us.

I'd love to do Decanter but my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all and I hardly drink. Is the food enough of a draw to ask them if they have a menu sans alcohol?

Last edited by yosithezet; May 12, 2017 at 2:09 am
Old May 12, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by yosithezet
We are in beach villa 305. The pool is somewhat hidden from passersby. At the Sheraton Maldives last night they upgraded us to an OTW villa, as did the W Maldives in 2015. The beach villa reminds me a bit of the Vanna Belle in Koh Samui. Maybe we should take a tour of the OWV? Wonder what the upsell would cost as we are here on points for 3 nights.

The new GM greeted us. His second stint in the Maldives and this is his first weekend at the property.

Our butler pre-booked Cargo for us for tonight. Tomorrow night he booked Orientale for us.

I'd love to do Decanter but my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all and I hardly drink. Is the food enough of a draw to ask them if they have a menu sans alcohol?
Looks like the old gm mark went to koh Samui now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.