Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LNF discussions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LNF Denied

Had a LNF claim for a same-day stay denied on Friday. The best available price was $169, AAA was $160, hotels.com and expedia were $159. I made the reservation at $169, took screen shots of hotels.com, and submitted my request, then went to catch my flight.

When I got to the airport, I saw that they had denied my claim because the bed types didn't match (king bed vs. 2 queens). When I went back to hotels.com to verify, I found that the lower rate had been removed for all bed types. I replied with my screenshots, showing that the lower price was available for either bed type, but I was again denied as they refused to accept screenshots and the lower rate was still not appearing on the comparison sites.

Just an FYI. I'm not sure what the lesson here is, besides a reminder that trying to do an LNF on the same day can be a crapshoot with the new cancellation policies -- and that the agents are apparently being very picky.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I thought LNF must be filed at least 48 hours before checking in.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:53 am

same-day LNF

they recently changed it where you can do same-day (<24h) LNFs. it's the same process, but your request gets electronically placed in a designated, "same-day queue" where it is worked on by the next available LNF agent.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Had a LNF claim for a same-day stay denied on Friday. The best available price was $169, AAA was $160, hotels.com and expedia were $159. I made the reservation at $169, took screen shots of hotels.com, and submitted my request, then went to catch my flight.

When I got to the airport, I saw that they had denied my claim because the bed types didn't match (king bed vs. 2 queens). When I went back to hotels.com to verify, I found that the lower rate had been removed for all bed types. I replied with my screenshots, showing that the lower price was available for either bed type, but I was again denied as they refused to accept screenshots and the lower rate was still not appearing on the comparison sites.

Just an FYI. I'm not sure what the lesson here is, besides a reminder that trying to do an LNF on the same day can be a crapshoot with the new cancellation policies -- and that the agents are apparently being very picky.
that's the problem w/ these claims. Right now I usually have to go back 2-3 times before they accept a claim that is not one against their own website. Just won't work w/ these same day stays.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I just posted in the LNR rate thread, but I have two questions perhaps better asked here:

1. Is there any success with LNF on pre-paid rates if you book a flex rate, or do you actually have to book the advance purchase rate to make the claim?

I know advanced purchase rates are playing with fire, but I'm trying to learn all I can. I doubt I'd actually try in this case because my comparison rate is actually less restrictive than the Marriott advance purchase.

Cancel terms: For cancellations made between 04:49, Mar 1, 2016 and 23:59, May 1, 2016 penalty charge of CA$22.50 will be incurred.

For cancellations made between 23:59, May 1, 2016 and 00:00, May 7, 2016 penalty charge of CA$157.00 will be incurred.

This on a booking of About $800 CAD.

2. I'm assuming this claim (if I did book the AP rate and submit a claim) would be denied because the cancellation terms don't match. Right?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You should be fine filing a flex rate claim, as the comparing site is actually cancellable.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:03 am

I just found a better rate but Marriott refused to acknowledged.

Found on booking.com a cheaper rate with breakfast that public was able to book. The deal was on throughout the whole day and I submitted to LNF this morning. I was quite assured as the conditions were similar and I stand a good chance. The deal was live the whole day.

However, strangely, I received an email from LNF just half an hour ago that they are not honoring as they claimed the cheaper rate was without breakfast. I vividly remember it was WITH breakfast so I double checked. Then, I realized that the conditions that stated breakfast for the cheaper rate has been corrected on booking.com. I hypothesized that booking.com must have priced it wrongly and now they priced it correct after they were alerted by Marriott. However, when I used my iphone to check, the error rate remained! Hence, I did not see wrongly after all, but it was a real error after all.

Should I fight on my case? Seems like marriott has been dishonest. They saw the error rate and informed booking.com immediately, which quickly rectified the error, though not completely. Luckily I kept screenshots!

Any advice? I must admit the error rate is not significantly cheaper, only $10 or so - but I am more disgusted with Marriott by trying to cover it up., albeit only a small amount.

In fact, my friend already booked a room using the cheaper rate with breakfast, so we do have solid proof. We are just disgusted marriott is trying to get out of it...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by soule
I just found a better rate but Marriott refused to acknowledged.

Found on booking.com a cheaper rate with breakfast that public was able to book. The deal was on throughout the whole day and I submitted to LNF this morning. I was quite assured as the conditions were similar and I stand a good chance. The deal was live the whole day.

However, strangely, I received an email from LNF just half an hour ago that they are not honoring as they claimed the cheaper rate was without breakfast. I vividly remember it was WITH breakfast so I double checked. Then, I realized that the conditions that stated breakfast for the cheaper rate has been corrected on booking.com. I hypothesized that booking.com must have priced it wrongly and now they priced it correct after they were alerted by Marriott. However, when I used my iphone to check, the error rate remained! Hence, I did not see wrongly after all, but it was a real error after all.

Should I fight on my case? Seems like marriott has been dishonest. They saw the error rate and informed booking.com immediately, which quickly rectified the error, though not completely. Luckily I kept screenshots!

Any advice? I must admit the error rate is not significantly cheaper, only $10 or so - but I am more disgusted with Marriott by trying to cover it up., albeit only a small amount.

In fact, my friend already booked a room using the cheaper rate with breakfast, so we do have solid proof. We are just disgusted marriott is trying to get out of it...
Yes!

If you still see that rate on your iPhone email back to tell them exactly how you found and on what device you used. I would also mention that it was there as your friend booked it.

I know that they don't take screen shots, but once I was going back and forth numerous times. I was seeing and they were not. I finally sent them the screenshot just to show I wasn't crazy and imagining it. I really didn't expect them to approve it but the their next response was my new lower rate.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yes they are very much indeed slow with their response times. Maybe because a lot more are using the LNF-claims during summer compared to off season. I don't know.

Filed a LNF-claim this weekend. Got denied because they couldn't see the rate. 3 hours later when I woke up and read the denial I could still see the lower rate and replied the rate was still there on Hotels.com. Of course I didn't take a print screen but thought they would answer much faster when I replied directly to their email. 10-11 hours later they replied they couldn't see the rate and the deal was gone with an hour.

The LNF-team is really using their 24-hour-respons-guarantee to their own advantage for these 24-hour-deals from websites like Hotels, Expedia etc. They remind of me of Hyatt's BRG-team *shivers*
Wonder if LNF-agents receives a bonus from every denial they make.

Next time I'll send multiple claims linking to Expedia, Hotels whatever site I can find with the lower rate.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Now that they have "Member Rates". Are our LNF claims against the Member Rate or the Regular Rate?

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Now that they have "Member Rates". Are our LNF claims against the Member Rate or the Regular Rate?

Thanks!
Regular rate because the rate has to be publicly available (without having to have a membership).

Marriott is not IHG.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Regular rate because the rate has to be publicly available (without having to have a membership).

Marriott is not IHG.
THANK YOU!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Yes they are very much indeed slow with their response times. Maybe because a lot more are using the LNF-claims during summer compared to off season. I don't know.

Filed a LNF-claim this weekend. Got denied because they couldn't see the rate. 3 hours later when I woke up and read the denial I could still see the lower rate and replied the rate was still there on Hotels.com. Of course I didn't take a print screen but thought they would answer much faster when I replied directly to their email. 10-11 hours later they replied they couldn't see the rate and the deal was gone with an hour.

The LNF-team is really using their 24-hour-respons-guarantee to their own advantage for these 24-hour-deals from websites like Hotels, Expedia etc. They remind of me of Hyatt's BRG-team *shivers*
Wonder if LNF-agents receives a bonus from every denial they make.

Next time I'll send multiple claims linking to Expedia, Hotels whatever site I can find with the lower rate.
Sometimes being slow and taking so long, works in your favor.

Yes I've noticed it too. After my response to a denial, it took them so long to get back to me that the rate changed. It went down!

I try to have backup sites also. Then when I respond to their denial, I tell them to also check the other sites.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott/Starwood Platinum
This thread motivated me to try the LNF guarantee for an upcoming trip. I booked a room package on Marriott.com that included breakfast for two. I found a better rate on another travel web site and submitted the claim to LNF.

Early this morning i received an email confirming that they would update the rate following the terms of the guarantee (match the rate -25%). When i checked the email confirmation as well as the reservation on Marriott.com i found that the free breakfast was no longer showing. I called the hotel and they advised that they did not show the breakfast either.

I called Platinum Customer Service and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Platinum Travel. The agent there told me that the LNF guarantee applies to room only, not a package including breakfast. I asked for a supervisor who told me that she would call the LNF desk for clarification. Shortly after she told me that they would speak with me directly.

The LNF agent checked the history of the reservation and found that the original reservation and the comparison packages were identical and that he added a note to the reservation that breakfast would be included at the lower rate. I received an email confirmation with this information.

I can't say for certain whether this was a special treatment for a Plat but i don't think it was. The agent basically said that they are trying to get all of the hotels to check other websites and make sure their rates are consistent whether you book directly with the hotel, through the Marriott 800 number, on Marriott.com, or with a travel website.

It seems that if you go far enough through the process you can get the LNF guarantee as long as you meet the terms and conditions.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteamingAlong
This thread motivated me to try the LNF guarantee for an upcoming trip. I booked a room package on Marriott.com that included breakfast for two. I found a better rate on another travel web site and submitted the claim to LNF.

Early this morning i received an email confirming that they would update the rate following the terms of the guarantee (match the rate -25%). When i checked the email confirmation as well as the reservation on Marriott.com i found that the free breakfast was no longer showing. I called the hotel and they advised that they did not show the breakfast either.

I called Platinum Customer Service and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Platinum Travel. The agent there told me that the LNF guarantee applies to room only, not a package including breakfast. I asked for a supervisor who told me that she would call the LNF desk for clarification. Shortly after she told me that they would speak with me directly.

The LNF agent checked the history of the reservation and found that the original reservation and the comparison packages were identical and that he added a note to the reservation that breakfast would be included at the lower rate. I received an email confirmation with this information.

I can't say for certain whether this was a special treatment for a Plat but i don't think it was. The agent basically said that they are trying to get all of the hotels to check other websites and make sure their rates are consistent whether you book directly with the hotel, through the Marriott 800 number, on Marriott.com, or with a travel website.

It seems that if you go far enough through the process you can get the LNF guarantee as long as you meet the terms and conditions.
For LNF rates - the rate rules follow the original one, i.e. if you have booked a breakfast inclusive rate, you'll get breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.