LNF discussions

Old Nov 14, 14, 12:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,339
LNF discussions

I'm starting this thread in order for FTers to share or discuss about Marriott LNF.
nacho is offline  
Old Nov 14, 14, 2:27 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,339
I believe Marriott is getting some OTA to change IP settings

I'm looking for LNFs for my upcoming US road trip in Dec. I "thought" I found something to file a claim, filed a claim form. This is for 2 hotels, 1 in UT and 1 in NV.

After a long wait, got the first denial - stating that Marriott has dropped the price to match the competing site As a courtesy they will modify my reservation to lower price. This is the last thing I need! They saw my claim and lower the rate of their own and be 'nice' to me to adjust my rate.

Lesson learned - from now on, make 2 ressies under 2 names and if this happens I can file a LNF.

Then for another hotel:

Used the same website to file claim, now they claim that they couldn't find the rate - so I wrote back and sent in screenshots (I know they have to see the rate but I said it may help them to locate the price). They said they used 3 devices and the lowest rate is same as Marriott.com. I asked

This happened to be when I was filing free night with IHG, and I was happy that Marriott didn't do this shady practice. Obviously they also start doing it now.

Another absolutely annoying thing: I made 2x1 night reservations and they said 'for my convenience' they merged the 2 ressies without letting me know! Merged and denied, how nice!

Any hint on how to avoid this? I remembered that there was a site that blocks US IP access it and my claim was denied because of that.

TIA!
nacho is offline  
Old Nov 14, 14, 10:52 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,133
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Any hint on how to avoid this? I remembered that there was a site that blocks US IP access it and my claim was denied because of that.
I don't know if this would avoid it, but it might identify it: What if you got a VPN within the US? Couldn't you use that to verify "better" what the Marriott LNF team is likely to see?

Longshot : If that's the issue, you could mention in the comments that the site only works from outside the US, and then point them to a free VPN they can use to access it from inside the US.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Nov 15, 14, 8:10 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,339
Thanks! I did get a VPN that get me an US IP address. In fact the rate is even better than the one I previously filed.

The problem with sites only for outside US is that it violates the T&C about 'must be publicly available'. Regional restriction made it not publicly available.

Not that MR LNF team really respects the T&C of LNF IMO - that they merged my ressies without my consent.
nacho is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:19 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,385
LNF claim with website where you call to get a secret rate?

I have seen a few sites recently where you have to call up to get the best rate.
For Marriott LNF claims with a phone number you have to make the reservation then enter a Marriott confirmation number. Anyone have any experience with this sort of system?
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 4:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,761
I don't know if the LNF team has the Xmas spirit or I've been very lucky.

Yesterday's claim I got a response within 2 hours of filing. I thought that was good until I received today's claim 28 minutes after filing.


And both were accepted!
YoungBubbie is offline  
Old Dec 18, 14, 9:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,385
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
I have seen a few sites recently where you have to call up to get the best rate.
For Marriott LNF claims with a phone number you have to make the reservation then enter a Marriott confirmation number. Anyone have any experience with this sort of system?
To answer my own question: They won't call up anyone to verify a rate. It has to be online. So the other option I might try: You can LNF a "phone" rate, but you must have a booking through the other channel already. In the case of prepaid rates I'm not keen to try this. Supposedly I would have got a res with a lower rate and then Marriott would have honored the LNF claim? But what happens to the other booking?
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Dec 18, 14, 11:07 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,339
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
To answer my own question: They won't call up anyone to verify a rate. It has to be online. So the other option I might try: You can LNF a "phone" rate, but you must have a booking through the other channel already. In the case of prepaid rates I'm not keen to try this. Supposedly I would have got a res with a lower rate and then Marriott would have honored the LNF claim? But what happens to the other booking?
They will cancel it for you without any penalty.
nacho is offline  
Old Dec 18, 14, 2:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,385
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
They will cancel it for you without any penalty.
The third party non-refundable rate, you made through some random websites phone center?

Last edited by escapefromphl; Dec 18, 14 at 2:13 pm
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Dec 18, 14, 3:11 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,339
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
The third party non-refundable rate, you made through some random websites phone center?
No. AFAIK you can compare call in rates when you call a Marriott hotel, not a random call center from OTA.

So if you made a ressie at marriott.com, and then call that hotel and obtain a lower rate than your online rate, then you can file a claim.
nacho is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 7:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,072
IF you make a LNF claim based on a competing site (say Hotelsabc.com) and days later that site further lowers their price after the claim was was accepted by Marriott do you have to book another reservation and fill out another LNF request to get 25% of the new lower price found (Still lower than Marriott's current rate) or can you simply have them lower your price on your older reservation?
jr1202sr is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 12:50 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,761
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
IF you make a LNF claim based on a competing site (say Hotelsabc.com) and days later that site further lowers their price after the claim was was accepted by Marriott do you have to book another reservation and fill out another LNF request to get 25% of the new lower price found (Still lower than Marriott's current rate) or can you simply have them lower your price on your older reservation?
Not sure, but I always make a new reservation and that's the main reason I always book the refundable rate.
YoungBubbie is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 3:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier; UA Platinum Premier; Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
IF you make a LNF claim based on a competing site (say Hotelsabc.com) and days later that site further lowers their price after the claim was was accepted by Marriott do you have to book another reservation and fill out another LNF request to get 25% of the new lower price found (Still lower than Marriott's current rate) or can you simply have them lower your price on your older reservation?
My understanding is another reservation is needed as the LNF claim needs to be filed within 24 hours of original Marriott reservation.
mindrisa is offline  
Old Jan 28, 15, 11:01 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFOSJCOAK
Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 6,296
My first time using LNF.

In the last few days, I filed 2 claims (different hotels).

First one accepted within minutes via Marriott's email.

Second claim was denied with a generic form email letter. This claim was for 3 nights. Marriott dot com showed rates in US$, while competing OTA showed it in JPY. I used that day's for-ex exchange rate as guide to my claim. It showed Marriott rate was 4,500 JPY higher for the 3 nights.

I countered with an email by asking which T/C that my claim does not meet. 3 days later, no response.

Is this usual, the way Marriott handles claim? What else can I do? I do have screen shots.
allset2travel is offline  
Old Jan 28, 15, 7:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,761
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
My first time using LNF.

In the last few days, I filed 2 claims (different hotels).

First one accepted within minutes via Marriott's email.

Second claim was denied with a generic form email letter. This claim was for 3 nights. Marriott dot com showed rates in US$, while competing OTA showed it in JPY. I used that day's for-ex exchange rate as guide to my claim. It showed Marriott rate was 4,500 JPY higher for the 3 nights.

I countered with an email by asking which T/C that my claim does not meet. 3 days later, no response.

Is this usual, the way Marriott handles claim? What else can I do? I do have screen shots.
This is very unusual. Depending upon the reason why it was denied, I reply to their email telling them to check again, give them another site to check etc. They always respond within a few hours. Always less than 24 hours. My advice is to contact ASAP, the rate could have changed and you definitely would be denied. Don't give up.

By the way in my experience getting a response within a few minutes is very unusual. The shortest time I ever had was an hour. I average 7 -10 hours.
YoungBubbie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: