Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
Vancouver - Which property?

We need 2 nights post Alaska cruise. the Ren looked good until Imsaw the room size, 168sqft!!! That's a closet! smaller than the smallest cabins on the cruise ship.

Suggestions please.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:51 pm
alc

I had stay at the "Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel" a few times in the past - both back in the Delta days and Marriott - and I did got upgrade to the panorama Harbor view room. But the rate usually $20 more than the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel that you mentioned.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A, Marriott LT Plat, US CP
I stayed at the Ren and it was wonderful. Great views, great location, and it was the hotel for one of the Grey Cup teams while we were there. The room was tight, but no tighter than many other FS rooms I've had. The biggest annoyance was the short time to swipe your room key in the elevator. Also, the concierge lounge staff was splendid.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Ren

My stay at the Ren is a few years ago, so probably the rooms by now got the urgently needed refurbishment (everything was clean an in working order, but simply a bit dated and boring).
Therefore last year I tried the Marriott and was disappointed. Although much newer and bigger, the rooms and especially bathrooms weren't much of an improvement. View from a number of rooms can be very good.
But for the view alone next time I would choose the Ren again, refurbished or not!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I stayed at both the Marriott and Ren a few times last year. Both offer great views if you are in the right rooms. I don't recall my rooms at Ren were small. I prefer the Marriott since it is a newer construction and I loved the view from the club lounge.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:45 am

My family of four stayed at the Ren last August and had no problems with the size of the room. Booked a regular room using a very good discounted rate from the hotel card in the Entertainment Book (from any city). I am also a gold, so I think they upgraded us to a harbourview room, but don't think they upgraded the size of the room. Lounge was nice and they said that due to a large convention there, all golds/platinums got free breakfast buffet downstairs. I would definitely stay there again (have never stayed at the Pinnacle though so can't compare them).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
What about the Residence Inn in Vancouver? It receives very good reviews on TA and is cheaper that than the Renaissance (but includes breakfast and free wifi).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The Marriott Pinnacle would probably be your best bet.

However, if you are looking for proximity
The Vancouver Pan Pacific is immediately upstairs from the Cruise Ship Terminal,
The Fairmont Waterfront is across the street.
The Fairmont Pacific Rim is one block to the west.

All the above would not require a taxi.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
I've stayed at both properties in the Fall of 2012, The Ren is more of a dump, the rooms are outdated and you will hear the float planes quite a bit. Their breakfast in the concierge is better when compared to the Marriott, that said, good luck finding a place to sit.

The Pinnacle has updated rooms, is much cleaner and their concierge is very attentive and friendly. I've stayed a total of 6x last year in downtown VYR, I spent 2 of those stays at the Renn, both were disappointing.

EDIT: I spent the rest of the 4 at the Marriott Pinnacle across the street.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
We did 2 stays at the Renaissance last year, before and after a trip to Whistler. Rooms were dull and quite dated but not small. Got upgraded to a harbour view room which had a great view. But on our longer stay our upgraded room had a connecting door. We could practically hear the people next door breathing. Big gap under the connecting door and quite badly fitting door to the corridor so noise there too.

Have now just done the first of two planned stays this year before and after another trip to Whistler. Good rate available so thought we'd stick with the Renaissance. But upgraded room this time had two connecting doors. Room to one side had a couple who must have been deaf as they shouted to each other and we could hear everything they said. The room on the other side had a crying baby and phone calls coming in at odd hours of the night.

We asked politely for a change. Staff on reception appeared uninterested and said they couldn't change us.

Can't face another stay there. We have just cancelled the return stay for when we leave Whistler this time and booked the Marriott instead.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum, United - Gold, Marriott - PP, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum, National - Exec Elite
We stayed at the Pinnacle last year. Much more updates and we had a great harbor view room. The Ren needs an update.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. The Fairmonts seems very convenient but I have lots of MR points I need to use.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

After I read this thread, I just booked the Pinnacle for April 2014.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I live three blocks from both the Ren and the Pinnacle, and have stayed at both before I moved to this neighbourhood.

The Ren was originally a Holiday Inn. Can't change the floorplate that this building was laid out for. The float planes take off directly in front of the Ren, so that could be a noise issue if you like fresh air.

Airline crews from Air Canada to Lufthansa stay at the Ren, but they take rooms on the city view side to avoid the float plane noise.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
After I read this thread, I just booked the Pinnacle for April 2014.
Good choice. I've done staycations there a few times, and it's fantastic! Great restaurant, too. A couple of work Xmas parties there, too (again this year, as well). And it's not far from the cruise ship terminal at all. It's an interestingly shaped building - lots of wrap around rooms!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.