Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Handcake
I have a week at this hotel and after I decided to try to Aloft Myeongdong for a week, just to see what the differences are for a similarly priced hotel in exactly the same neighborhood. I'll post a review on that once I've done a few days there.
Please do. Interesting to hear the comparison.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
So I've had a chance to check things out at the Sheraton D Cube City Hotel, and my general takeaway is that it is a very nice property, despite some not-so-great experiences (of which I do not consider the hotel at-fault, and which I'll go into detail below).

This hotel is located within a building that houses a mall/department store and offices. Because of that, the lobby to the hotel is actually found on the 41st floor, the highest floor of the building. There are dedicated elevators (designated as "Express elevators") to take you from the first floor to the 41st floor, and from the 41st floor there are elevators that service the hotel and guest rooms specifically. The express elevators have stops at the 28th floor (gym/sauna), the 38th floor (club lounge), and the 41st floor (lobby/reception/restaurants/bar).

Upon checking-in at the 41st floor, I was recognized as a Platinum member for my points reservation. I was told by the front desk that I was being upgraded to a corner deluxe room, but NOT a suite. Aventine was right on the money, and my first not-so-great experience is that I did not get upgraded to a suite because they had a lot of people staying at the hotel for staycations (I arrived during a big holiday weekend). I want to make clear that I do not consider the hotel at fault. I am well aware that any suite upgrades would occur on a space-available basis. After being told about the room, I did ask the receptionist if they had a suite available, and they said that I could move to a suite on Sunday evening, if I wanted to. +1 for customer service.

I was of course invited to take advantage of the club lounge as well as the restaurant during the weekdays. The lounge is closed for breakfast during the weekdays, and ALL guests with lounge access are invited take breakfast at the Feast restaurant. During weekends, breakfast is available in the club lounge. For evening cocktails, everything operates normally during the weekdays, but on the weekends you must select one of two sessions. Either 5-630pm or 7-815pm. No pre-reservation for sessions are necessary, whichever session you enter in is the one you pick.

The breakfast offerings in the restaurant are excellent. I saw Japanese, Western, Indian (first time I saw that in a Korean hotel), and of course Korean style breakfast available. Curiously I did not see Chinese-style breakfast (dim-sum/dumplings/etc) offerings. The breakfast offerings in the lounge are also good. It is basically an abbreviated version of the same food from the restaurant.

Evening cocktails have a very nice spread available as well. There were a number of hot food dishes available, as well as a wide variety of snacks. It could be described as a light-medium buffet dinner. Liquor offerings were standard, basically one of everything (Ballantine's, Jameson, Absolut, etc). There were plenty of wines, and they had beer on tap (I think it was Cass) and cans of Premium OB.
Just as an aside, I do wish that the beer offerings were more inspired (I think Korean beer is awful). I also find it curious that no hotel I've visited so far has had signature Korean alcohol like soju or maekgoelli available.

The sauna/gym is included as a Plat member, and it is a similar setup to the Plaza. All-inclusive, including workout clothes, etc. They also have screen-golf available. Actual screen-golf (a golf simulator), not just whacking a ball at mesh. The screen-golf is not included, and costs 10,000KRW per half-hour. The sauna area is very nice, with steam rooms, sauna, hot baths, and a cold bath. They also have a barber available on-site, and offer body scrubs (definitely a unique experience).

The location is definitely outside of the main action in the city. The hotel does sit right on top of the 1 and 2 subway lines, and is connected via a tunnel in the basement directly to the station. It is similarly connected to the mall/department store, where you can find an absolute TON of restaurants/coffee shops. There is also a movie theater available if you want to catch a movie.

Regarding the room itself, the view from the floor-to-ceiling windows are nice, and I found a box of chocolates waiting for me when entering. As far as size, the "deluxe corner room" felt smaller than a regular room, though I think in actuality it is larger in sq ft. I think it's because the bathroom in the deluxe corner room took up a lot of the space.

I actually reserved three rooms on points (my own room, plus two others) at this hotel, to have some family join us for the weekend. I used SNAs on the other two rooms to attempt to get them a suite or a room with lounge access. The SNAs did clear, but I was informed that the rooms they were upgraded to did not include lounge access. Definitely disappointed at this development, and after speaking with the front desk receptionist, they said they would check with a manager to see if we could get access. The manager refused. I then asked if I could cancel the SNAs then, as my main intent was to get lounge access for the guests staying in the extra rooms. They said I could do that by canceling and re-creating the reservation, which I was unable to do in the app. The front-desk receptionists eventually had to call somewhere (I think the reservations line?) to get them cancelled.
I had my points and SNAs returned, and was able to re-create the reservation without using the SNAs.
So this situation was definitely not the fault of the hotel, and they went above and beyond to make me whole, so big props to their customer service.

Overall, I think this property is pretty nice, I just wish it was a bit closer to the center of the city, but if you aren't trying to get in that mix, I think this is a great alternative. It has plenty to do in the surrounding area, and is decently connected if you do find yourself having to go into the city on occasion. Points-wise, it costs the same as the Sheraton Gangnam, which I think is in a much better location, but the Sheraton Gangnam has smaller (regular) rooms.

If anyone is curious about anything else, feel free to ask away. I'm actually still at the hotel, and will be here until Tuesday, when I move to the Sheraton Incheon.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
So I've had a chance to check things out at the Sheraton D Cube City Hotel, and my general takeaway is that it is a very nice property, despite some not-so-great experiences (of which I do not consider the hotel at-fault, and which I'll go into detail below).

This hotel is located within a building that houses a mall/department store and offices. Because of that, the lobby to the hotel is actually found on the 41st floor, the highest floor of the building. There are dedicated elevators (designated as "Express elevators") to take you from the first floor to the 41st floor, and from the 41st floor there are elevators that service the hotel and guest rooms specifically. The express elevators have stops at the 28th floor (gym/sauna), the 38th floor (club lounge), and the 41st floor (lobby/reception/restaurants/bar).

Upon checking-in at the 41st floor, I was recognized as a Platinum member for my points reservation. I was told by the front desk that I was being upgraded to a corner deluxe room, but NOT a suite. Aventine was right on the money, and my first not-so-great experience is that I did not get upgraded to a suite because they had a lot of people staying at the hotel for staycations (I arrived during a big holiday weekend). I want to make clear that I do not consider the hotel at fault. I am well aware that any suite upgrades would occur on a space-available basis. After being told about the room, I did ask the receptionist if they had a suite available, and they said that I could move to a suite on Sunday evening, if I wanted to. +1 for customer service.

I was of course invited to take advantage of the club lounge as well as the restaurant during the weekdays. The lounge is closed for breakfast during the weekdays, and ALL guests with lounge access are invited take breakfast at the Feast restaurant. During weekends, breakfast is available in the club lounge. For evening cocktails, everything operates normally during the weekdays, but on the weekends you must select one of two sessions. Either 5-630pm or 7-815pm. No pre-reservation for sessions are necessary, whichever session you enter in is the one you pick.

The breakfast offerings in the restaurant are excellent. I saw Japanese, Western, Indian (first time I saw that in a Korean hotel), and of course Korean style breakfast available. Curiously I did not see Chinese-style breakfast (dim-sum/dumplings/etc) offerings. The breakfast offerings in the lounge are also good. It is basically an abbreviated version of the same food from the restaurant.

Evening cocktails have a very nice spread available as well. There were a number of hot food dishes available, as well as a wide variety of snacks. It could be described as a light-medium buffet dinner. Liquor offerings were standard, basically one of everything (Ballantine's, Jameson, Absolut, etc). There were plenty of wines, and they had beer on tap (I think it was Cass) and cans of Premium OB.
Just as an aside, I do wish that the beer offerings were more inspired (I think Korean beer is awful). I also find it curious that no hotel I've visited so far has had signature Korean alcohol like soju or maekgoelli available.

The sauna/gym is included as a Plat member, and it is a similar setup to the Plaza. All-inclusive, including workout clothes, etc. They also have screen-golf available. Actual screen-golf (a golf simulator), not just whacking a ball at mesh. The screen-golf is not included, and costs 10,000KRW per half-hour. The sauna area is very nice, with steam rooms, sauna, hot baths, and a cold bath. They also have a barber available on-site, and offer body scrubs (definitely a unique experience).

The location is definitely outside of the main action in the city. The hotel does sit right on top of the 1 and 2 subway lines, and is connected via a tunnel in the basement directly to the station. It is similarly connected to the mall/department store, where you can find an absolute TON of restaurants/coffee shops. There is also a movie theater available if you want to catch a movie.

Regarding the room itself, the view from the floor-to-ceiling windows are nice, and I found a box of chocolates waiting for me when entering. As far as size, the "deluxe corner room" felt smaller than a regular room, though I think in actuality it is larger in sq ft. I think it's because the bathroom in the deluxe corner room took up a lot of the space.

I actually reserved three rooms on points (my own room, plus two others) at this hotel, to have some family join us for the weekend. I used SNAs on the other two rooms to attempt to get them a suite or a room with lounge access. The SNAs did clear, but I was informed that the rooms they were upgraded to did not include lounge access. Definitely disappointed at this development, and after speaking with the front desk receptionist, they said they would check with a manager to see if we could get access. The manager refused. I then asked if I could cancel the SNAs then, as my main intent was to get lounge access for the guests staying in the extra rooms. They said I could do that by canceling and re-creating the reservation, which I was unable to do in the app. The front-desk receptionists eventually had to call somewhere (I think the reservations line?) to get them cancelled.
I had my points and SNAs returned, and was able to re-create the reservation without using the SNAs.
So this situation was definitely not the fault of the hotel, and they went above and beyond to make me whole, so big props to their customer service.

Overall, I think this property is pretty nice, I just wish it was a bit closer to the center of the city, but if you aren't trying to get in that mix, I think this is a great alternative. It has plenty to do in the surrounding area, and is decently connected if you do find yourself having to go into the city on occasion. Points-wise, it costs the same as the Sheraton Gangnam, which I think is in a much better location, but the Sheraton Gangnam has smaller (regular) rooms.

If anyone is curious about anything else, feel free to ask away. I'm actually still at the hotel, and will be here until Tuesday, when I move to the Sheraton Incheon.
How's the pool? I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it before or even seen a photo.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
How's the pool? I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it before or even seen a photo.
The pool isn't anything special or anything terrible. It looks like a regulation-length pool, separated into three lanes. They also have a hot tub along to the side. It definitely isn't anything like the JW Marriott Dongdaemun. It feels similar to the pool in the Plaza Seoul.

To get to the pool you have to go through the "Fit Cafe" (the gym has a cafe), and then through the exercise machine area. Alternatively (if you have sauna access), you can enter the pool through the men's or women's sauna locker rooms.

I'll take some pictures and post them up.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:58 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Courtyard Namdaemun vs. Aloft Myeongdong

As I stated above I have put in numerous nights at the Courtyard Namdaemun, and decided this time to do a week at the Aloft Myeongdong. This is my first time staying at an Aloft, so keep that in mind for my review.

The location of both are very good. The Courtyard is closer to Seoul Station / City Hall if one were walking it is in the middle of those two stations. It is also about a 5 min walk from Hoehyeon Station (#4 line). The Aloft is about a 5 minute walk from Myeongdong Station (#4 line). There are tunnels from about 2mins outside the hotel all the way to City Hall Station which takes maybe 10 or so minutes to walk there. For location though, I would give higher points to the Courtyard due to being closer to 3 subway stations as well, the sound off the street is a lot less. I have a "city view" room at the Aloft and I face Lotte Dept. Store and the main road. The sound of the buses was going quite late into the night, and started off early in the morning. The noise level is quite a difference.

This current stay I got upgraded to a deluxe room at the Courtyard, which was quite big and had a big bathroom and a room with a desk. The desk though was quite small and almost useless to do any work. My last stay was in a regular room, which was quite small, and had no desk. I've had a suite before, which is very nice at this hotel, as well the family room which is also quite nice. The Aloft was FULLY booked. I tried to get an upgrade but the entire hotel is booked. I even went online to check. I originally booked a Studio King, and that is what I got.

Studio King room size is bigger than I thought. It is a good size room for the price point. Has space to put your luggage at the end of the room and still have space to walk around the bed. The desk is a good size and is very functional to get work done. Beside the desk is a place to put some smaller luggage and a "bench" of sorts one could sit and read. I can look out to the city from sitting at the desk if I was inclined to. The bed is the same as the Courtyard. The pillow menu is slightly different. I am leaning slightly in favor of Aloft for more selection of pillows. There were 5 in the room and all were different so that I could find the one that suited me best. I like that type of pillow menu. The bathroom is where this room disappoints. It has one of the Asian type toilets with a butt cleaner. I prefer the normal type toilets as they have more space for your person when you sit down. The shower at the Aloft is soft without a lot of water pressure. I like showers with water pressure as I want to scrub and get the soap off quickly, not have to wait while a soft shower rinses me. The room is very modern looking, and has a "newer" feel to it. I like the feel of the room. The TV is smaller in the Aloft, but has better channels for an English speaking foreigner than the Courtyard does. I like the room safe better in the Aloft. It is more modern and handles a 6 digit number versus 4 at the Courtyard. Also there aren't closet lights that never shut off at the Aloft.

Gym: the gym at the Courtyard is bigger and has more items one can use. The Gym at the Aloft really shouldn't be called a Gym. It is a very small room with 6 machines and no weights. The stretching area is big enough for one person. This is not really a multi person gym.

Washing Machines: Both have them. Courtyard is 5000 won, Aloft is 2000 won. My thought is why is the Courtyard so much more for the exact same machines?

Lounge: Courtyard has one, Aloft doesn't. This alone is making me regret picking the Aloft. Why? See next point...

Breakfast: The Aloft breakfast selection is less than the lounge has at the Courtyard. I was very disappointed at the selection considering breakfast is in the main restaurant. Also, if one were paying, they charge like 30000+ for that. It really isn't worth more than 10000 won. Courtyard wins for this hands down.

Elevators: The Courtyard has 4 vs the Aloft having only 2.

Essentially the Aloft seems like a bare bones, "trendy" hotel aimed at millennials, whereas the Courtyard is a full service hotel aimed at a different audience. Considering they are both within the same price point, the Courtyard would be my pick for the following reasons:

- Lounge
- More elevators (means less waiting time)
- Bathrooms (toilet/shower is much nicer)
- Bigger Gym
- More room service options / more in house dining options
- location.

I hope this helped someone. I will say there are a lot of Plat+ members that stay at the Courtyard, so getting an upgrade might not happen. I find the more I stay there, the better I am treated. I have 7-8 days in June, and I am not sure if I want to stay around Myeongdong again, so I'll be checking this thread too to see other hotel reviews.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely the Courtyard will always be more comfortable than an Aloft in Korea. Same goes for a Courtyard vs. Four Points Namsan or Myeongdong.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Some pictures of the pool.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some pictures of the pool.

Thanks. It's nicer than what I imagined.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Based on
A) Free Breakfast Quality
B) Upgrade Rooms
C) Overall “Luxury”/Service

how would everyone rank Plaza, Westin and JW DDS?
I have the exact same question and value those things in the same order as well. Would like to throw RYSE and the newly renovated JW Marriott Seoul in the mix of the 4 being compared. Another thread on the Westin Chosun didn't look very appealing...

What did you end up choosing (if you did yet)? And @falcon9xr how would you rank everything you've stayed at on this trip?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by optostar
I have the exact same question and value those things in the same order as well. Would like to throw RYSE and the newly renovated JW Marriott Seoul in the mix of the 4 being compared. Another thread on the Westin Chosun didn't look very appealing...

What did you end up choosing (if you did yet)? And @falcon9xr how would you rank everything you've stayed at on this trip?
I think I would pick RYSE ahead of all of them. A small, high quality buffet with delicious a la carte selections. I think they use Tartine breads too.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by optostar

So the most recent trip I stayed at the following properties in Seoul, all on points as a Platinum Premier:
JW Marriott Dongdaemun
The Plaza Seoul
Sheraton D Cube City
(Sheraton Grand Incheon) (this isn't technically Seoul, but it is really close to the largest airport servicing Seoul, so mentioning it)

I also stayed at the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam on a previous trip on points as well (this was as an SPG Gold).

My rankings would be as follows:
1) The Plaza Seoul - My main concern against this hotel was the lack of hot dishes at the evening happy hour, but @gora14 mentioned that I may have missed them, which I think is true. Otherwise, the location is great, the sauna/fitness area is top-notch, though you do have to move to a different building, and the service is excellent (it's always nice to receive a bottle of wine in the room). The breakfast is not as good as in the restaurant, but I'm not picky about that. You'll find a cab very easily when leaving the hotel, and there are a TON of restaurants and convenience stores and such around if you're looking for something. It also has direct access to the subway, which is convenient. One downside is that there are protests/demonstrators occasionally. You probably won't be accosted by them going out and about, but it'll be loud.
2a) Sheraton Grand Incheon - So this isn't technically in Seoul, but if you don't mind being away from the action, or want to be closer to the airport, I would pick this property. It doesn't have the feel of being an "airport hotel", and I think Incheon as a city has it's own flavor that is distinct from Seoul proper. Also Seoul is accessible via public transportation from Incheon. I think it also helps that I was treated very well as a Platinum Premier guest.
2b) Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam - I didn't stay here on the most recent trip, but I intend on staying here during my next trip to Korea. It has a prime location, as it is diagonally across from the Express Bus Terminal, which has access to three subway lines, as well as buses that leave Seoul. The service here is great as well, and the breakfast and evening happy hour offerings in the lounge are excellent. The fitness center/spa is top-notch as well. I do remember the room being a bit small, so there's that.
3) Sheraton D Cube City - Definitely a property away from the action, but is nice in that it is connected directly to the Hyundai D Cube shopping complex, as well as the subway. As this is Seoul, there is still a ton of stuff available as far as restaurants and shops and such, but it definitely is away from the tourist locations. So that can be a plus or a minus depending on what you're looking for. Service is great, and evening offerings in the lounge were great as well. Like the other Seoul hotels, the fitness center/spa is really nice. Cabs seem to have trouble finding the entrance to the hotel (the front door is through some side roads that are a bit confusing), so just something to note. Probably won't stay here again, just because the location is away from the stuff I'm interested in.
4) JW Marriott Dongdaemun - This may be a situation of mismatched expectations, but I was hoping for more from a JWM. I definitely wasn't expecting to have to pay for use of the sauna as a Platinum Premier (to be clear, ALL the other properties I stayed at included sauna access). The location was a bit of a bust as well. I thought that Dongdaemun would have some more along the lines of touristy things to do, but alas it is literally just the gate (which you can't walk through). The Design Plaza was definitely overhyped from what I expected, and so was the Cheonggyecheon stream. A good spot if you're looking to do a bunch of clothes shopping late at night, but I think that's a rather niche group. Definitely not a good use of points, and I think they are actually going up a category in March, so it becomes an even worse value. Definitely never staying here again.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Interesting. I stayed at the Plaza once, and struck it off my list of places to stay in Seoul.
I stayed at the Sheraton Seoul Palace, and struck it off my list of places to stay in Seoul.
My go-tos today would be Westin Chosun ( first choice), and D-Cube ( second choice), depending on rates.
D-Cube is not what is used to be in its first few years of operation, but is still a solid choice.
Westin has been solid throughout my 40 years of staying there.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Interesting. I stayed at the Plaza once, and struck it off my list of places to stay in Seoul.
I stayed at the Sheraton Seoul Palace, and struck it off my list of places to stay in Seoul.
My go-tos today would be Westin Chosun ( first choice), and D-Cube ( second choice), depending on rates.
D-Cube is not what is used to be in its first few years of operation, but is still a solid choice.
I wouldn't go near Plaza either. It's not even in the top 5 Seoul luxury hotels but I respect that people have different views and opinions.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Oooh, interesting. What made you strike the Seoul Palace and the Plaza off your list?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Oooh, interesting. What made you strike the Seoul Palace and the Plaza off your list?
Plaza - tiny rooms ( and that was with suite upgrade!).
Seoul Palace - no upgrade, tiny bathroom, poor water pressure, poor room layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.