Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Never been to Seoul -- looks like a work trip might take me to AP in October and I'll have a free night/day on the way home in Seoul. Trying to figure out the best Marriott for what will be a very packed and short day of being a tourist before heading to ICN for the 740pm DL flight back to the US plus the benefits of being a Titanium member (will be flying in from SIN on either the SQ direct that lands at 4pm or the KE direct that lands at 630pm)

In-policy options:

Sheraton Seoul D CUBE
JW Marriott Seoul
Plaza Seoul
Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangham

Unfortunately RYSE is out of policy -- other option is the Conrad Seoul (have Diamond via the CC and will have Titanium for 2020 already secured so don't need to stay at a Marriott but seems like the Marriott options are better)
I have always stayed in the Plaza, in part, because it is the cheapest. That said, it is in an excellent location and I have always thoroughly enjoyed my stays. Complaints are that the rooms are small, but I have been upgraded on every single one of my many stays. I am LT platinum, FWIW.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Of those listed, Westin Chosun would be my first choice by virtue of both location and facilities.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Plaza or Westin Chosun have the best location if you want to do sightseeing or shopping. The Sheraton Seoul Palace and JW Marriott are only recommended if you want to be in Gangnam (newer, more modern Seoul), but it's quite a hike to the more traditional parts of Seoul. The Sheraton D Cube and Conrad Seoul are great hotels, but not the best locations for someone who is short on time.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you're going to spend most of the time outdoors then I would consider something cheaper and very central, like CY Namdaemun.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Ryse or Courtyard Namdaemun for 2 nights as a first time visitor to Seoul? The only reason this is a question is that I have a good corporate rate at Ryse which makes it only slightly more expensive than the CY.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Never been to Seoul -- looks like a work trip might take me to AP in October and I'll have a free night/day on the way home in Seoul. Trying to figure out the best Marriott for what will be a very packed and short day of being a tourist before heading to ICN for the 740pm DL flight back to the US plus the benefits of being a Titanium member (will be flying in from SIN on either the SQ direct that lands at 4pm or the KE direct that lands at 630pm)

In-policy options:

Sheraton Seoul D CUBE
JW Marriott Seoul
Plaza Seoul
Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangham
Westin Chosun Seoul

Unfortunately RYSE is out of policy -- other option is the Conrad Seoul (have Diamond via the CC and will have Titanium for 2020 already secured so don't need to stay at a Marriott but seems like the Marriott options are better)
Plaza was pretty awesome. I haven't done the Westin yet. But you will want Plaza or Westin if you want to do the most bang for your buck tourist stuff. CY Namdaemun is like 5mins walk from both these hotels, and if price or points is what you are considering it does have a lounge and okay food. I found the Plaza room to be okay, but for me personally I'll be doing 4 days at the CY Namdaemun in less than a month because I got a very very good price and couldn't justify 70,000 won more a night for the Plaza.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gora14
I have always stayed in the Plaza, in part, because it is the cheapest. That said, it is in an excellent location and I have always thoroughly enjoyed my stays. Complaints are that the rooms are small, but I have been upgraded on every single one of my many stays. I am LT platinum, FWIW.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Of those listed, Westin Chosun would be my first choice by virtue of both location and facilities.
Originally Posted by jch636
Plaza or Westin Chosun have the best location if you want to do sightseeing or shopping. The Sheraton Seoul Palace and JW Marriott are only recommended if you want to be in Gangnam (newer, more modern Seoul), but it's quite a hike to the more traditional parts of Seoul. The Sheraton D Cube and Conrad Seoul are great hotels, but not the best locations for someone who is short on time.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you're going to spend most of the time outdoors then I would consider something cheaper and very central, like CY Namdaemun.
Originally Posted by Handcake
Plaza was pretty awesome. I haven't done the Westin yet. But you will want Plaza or Westin if you want to do the most bang for your buck tourist stuff. CY Namdaemun is like 5mins walk from both these hotels, and if price or points is what you are considering it does have a lounge and okay food. I found the Plaza room to be okay, but for me personally I'll be doing 4 days at the CY Namdaemun in less than a month because I got a very very good price and couldn't justify 70,000 won more a night for the Plaza.
Hmmm lots of good insight -- appreciate it! Money isn't a concern -- all are in policy and the corporate rate is quite attractive (and ultimately I'm not paying for it since it's part of a business trip) so don't need to go for the CY to save money or points. Sounds like that general area though is the best in which case it's Westin vs. Plaza and sounds like both are strong options and I should just flip a coin and pick one
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Hmmm lots of good insight -- appreciate it! Money isn't a concern -- all are in policy and the corporate rate is quite attractive (and ultimately I'm not paying for it since it's part of a business trip) so don't need to go for the CY to save money or points. Sounds like that general area though is the best in which case it's Westin vs. Plaza and sounds like both are strong options and I should just flip a coin and pick one
Actually Westin is far superior to Plaza, I have stayed at the Westin Chosun some 60+ times over the past 40-odd years, and tried the Plaza last year.
I would never go back.

Please see my review in the Plaza master thread: The Plaza, Autograph Collection - Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Looking at booking for late November when rates are cheap and was set on the JW Marriott Dongdaemun since its the only Cat 6 in the city. Curious how it compares to the other options like the Westin or the other JW Marriott since its about the same price.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Looking at booking for late November when rates are cheap and was set on the JW Marriott Dongdaemun since its the only Cat 6 in the city. Curious how it compares to the other options like the Westin or the other JW Marriott since its about the same price.
The JW Dongdaemun is in a major shopping district with various of malls (some close ridiculously late in the AM), late night food options and bars, the Gwangjang market, etc...

The hotel itself is nothing extraordinary, lobby was basic, and the rooms were just ok. We were upgraded to their "signature" Sky View room and it was the first time I've ever asked to be downgraded. Windows were disgustingly dirty, room gets a lot hotter due to the windows, and the bathroom in the Sky View room doesn't have a proper door. You can see someone on the toilet from the bed. Their standard room was a lot nicer imo and we were happy with it.

Breakfast was varied and the staff were wonderful. During happy hour the lounge had revolving food, good beer and spirits, and it never got too crowed. I would stay it's a decent stay at sub $200. If I managed to get a BRG at $120 again I would definitely return.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:07 am

YMMV but,
I find the JW Marriott in Gangnam to be the most luxurious Bonvoy property in Seoul (esp since the renovation).
Westin Chosun is the most "central" - it is also the oldest hotel so has that sense of 'class'
Marriott Dongdaemun tend to appeal to younger crowds (fancier bar etc) and is well located but not as well as the other two IMHO.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

Think I'll swap to the JW Marriott in gangnam since it's slightly cheaper and better located.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Depends what you want to do and where you want to be in Seoul. People always forget about RYSE too.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Depends what you want to do and where you want to be in Seoul. People always forget about RYSE too.
Will be mostly in town for sightseeing. Proximity and convenience to the nightlife would be nice too.

I have stayed at the Conrad and Aloft Myeongdong. Both great hotels, but the Conrad location was not my favorite and looking for something more upscale than the Aloft this time around.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Hi all, We plan a short 3N visit to SEL as first Timers. Visit will be mid December for both my birthday and Christmas Festival.
I am Gold at Marriott and wonder which property would be the best one for both location and Gold recognition.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.