Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

I booked a 7N stay at JWM Seoul for our Oct 2019 trip with 3 people (mom and sister). Does anyone know what the extra 3rd person (daily?) charge is? The note is in my reservation, fun part of staying in asia. The room max cap is 3 people on paper. TIA
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Hmm, how do you get Aloft for 14k? I see it is priced exactly same as Courtyards and Four Points.
It's gone up to 17K. When I was looking earlier this week it was 14K/night.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by rny321
I would also consider the JW Marriott Dongdaemun, which is a Cat 5 like the Westin.
I may give this JW a shot. 35K/night but I have a fair number of points to burn and the sixth night is free so drops it down to 29k/night. Reviews are very good and good location with two subway lines just outside the door (handy for my January stay).

Sounds like the JW Seoul is very nice also but I stayed south of the river at the Sheraton Gangnam before and didn't care for the area.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by melvin
have a hard time choosing which hotel for a two day layover on the way to sydney, can anyone share some highlights on anyone of these properties?

thanks in advance!!!
Have stayed at both the Conrad Seoul and JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul - lounge at the JWDDS is great and the location is unbeatable with a metro stop in the basement. The Conrad is more luxurious and opulent. If you're a Platinum with Marriott have breakfast in the RESTAUARANT not the lounge (its included and valued at $60 US per person for up to 2). The breakfast was the best part of the stay.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Have stayed at both the Conrad Seoul and JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul - lounge at the JWDDS is great and the location is unbeatable with a metro stop in the basement. The Conrad is more luxurious and opulent. If you're a Platinum with Marriott have breakfast in the RESTAUARANT not the lounge (its included and valued at $60 US per person for up to 2). The breakfast was the best part of the stay.
JW Marriott Dongdaemun breakfast is lounge only unless you have someone under the age of 18 in the room. See master thread for my uploaded pic of the lounge sheet.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
As far as I know, Plats do not get Taviolo 24 for free. It's chargeable (60,000 KRW per person) according to the benefits sheet posted in the official JW Dongdaemun thread. I was actually present when the hotel decided to change course and cut costs and not give Platinums buffet breakfast in 2014.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Perhaps the breakfast in the JWDS restaurant the platinum arrival gift option - ie, access to lounge for free, but PAG option brekkie in restaurant, points or something else?

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Based on
A) Free Breakfast Quality
B) Upgrade Rooms
C) Overall “Luxury”/Service

how would everyone rank Plaza, Westin and JW DDS?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Based on
B) Upgrade Rooms

JW Marriott Dongdaemun above the rest for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
BTW, anyone stayed at RYSE being platinum?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barracuda93
BTW, anyone stayed at RYSE being platinum?
Breakfast was served at Longchim and had Tartine breads. Rooms are more functional hip than luxurious. Very good overall.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Based on
B) Upgrade Rooms

Have not stayed at JW, but Westin Chosun >>>>>>>> Plaza by a large margin.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Doing a long stint in Seoul/Korea with a couple of hotels planned. I've previously I've only stayed at the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam (~Dec 2017) hotel as an SPG Gold, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm currently a Platinum Premier (Titanium in a few weeks).

I stayed two nights at the JWM Dongdaemun (Jan 28-30th). I originally had 5 nights scheduled there (on points), but my plans changed and had to leave after two nights. I was upgraded to a Sky View Suite, upon request. I put in a request when checking in through the app, as the ideal strategy described in the suite upgrade policy thread (flyertalk.com/forum/30700889-post247.html)

I was surprised by (but, mea culpa, should have known based on reviews), that they charge extra for use of the sauna. Apparently this policy changed around December of 2017. This amenity was included in the Sheraton Gangnam, and my understanding is that most other Marriotts in Seoul provide this complimentary for guests with status. Just a heads up should anyone be looking to take advantage of it. As far as other amenities, I used the pool at the JWM Dongdaemun, and it was designed very well. I had a friend come visit, and they were given free parking, which I wasn't expecting.

Regarding the upgrade, when I did mobile check in, they said a suite upgrade was going to be based on availability, and I responded that I understood. When I arrived at the hotel to get my room keys, they said they could put me in a Sky View Suite, but that I would have to move rooms on Thursday because another guest had booked the room for that day. My wife wanted to do the suite, so we said we'd be fine with moving rooms.
Later, when I realized I had to check out early, the front desk was very helpful and was willing to make an exception for me to get my points back on the reservation. The points posted the day I left.

The lounge was nicely laid out, and breakfast offerings were excellent. They also do orders for eggs during breakfast. The offerings for evening hors d'oeuvres were excellent as well, though I felt that they could use some additional variety. The variety was a lot better at the Sheraton Gangnam, though the JWM did have a lot of hard liquor available in the evening, in addition to beer and wine. Beer selection was a Korean beer and Sapporo/Asahi (I can't remember which, but something Japanese), and Hoegaarden.

What's nicer about the JWM vs the Sheraton Gangnam is that they have a dedicated space for the lounge, with the Sheraton Gangnam, you will eventually get kicked out of the lounge because it turns into a bar.

As far as location, I got the impression that the location for the JWM Dongdaemun was more "touristy". I had a great view of the Dongdaemun gate from my room, and the Dongdaemun Design Plaza is also really close. The hotel also sits across the street from Cheonggyecheon Stream. I felt that all three locations were "hyped up" to be more than they actually were after visiting, just my two cents.

I checked in to the Plaza Seoul (AC Collection) last night, and once I have a chance to get my bearings and settle in, I'll share my thoughts on that hotel as well. I also have reservations at the Sheraton D Cube, so I'll post again after staying there.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I have upcoming stays at the Westin Chosun Busan, and the Sheraton Incheon, so I'm happy to post reports on those, but they aren't in Seoul, and I haven't really seen a thread (other than this one) trying to compare hotels in other cities in Korea.

I have photos of the floor guide and the lounge letter that shows that the sauna costs 33,000KRW, and that for breakfast, it must be taken in the lounge. However, I am still an FT baby, so I can't post the photos atm. If someone really wants to see them, let me know and I'll upload them somewhere (probably Google Photos) and share the link.

Last edited by falcon9xr; Feb 1, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Ok so I've spent a couple nights at the Plaza Seoul, and I can say that I much prefer it over the JWM Dongdaemun.

I made a reservation the day before arrival with points, and I arrived with my wife, and with my niece and nephew (5 & 6 years old). I was directed to the front desk to check in, and the gentleman there checked us in promptly. At the front desk, I was told that had I not had children with me, I would have been directed to the lounge on the 18th floor to check-in. I have no idea how they would have known that I was an elite member, but that's what they said.

In addition, I was told that because children are NOT allowed in the lounge, that I could utilize the option of taking breakfast at the restaurant, Seven Square. The front desk said that although my wife and I would be free if we took that option, that I would have to pay for the two children.
I then mentioned that they were not my children, and that they would not be staying with us overnight in the room. I asked if I could still utilize the breakfast benefit in the restaurant and was told (politely) that I could enjoy breakfast in the lounge.
I know there's a lot of questions around lounge access and children and breakfast with hotels in Seoul, so sharing that with you all.

The front desk also informed me that I was being upgraded to a Premium suite (what appears to be the "lowest" suite level), and recognized me as a Platinum Premier guest. I intentionally did not request an upgrade just to see if I would get upgraded, and I did. In addition, the front desk said that there would be a bottle of wine waiting for me in the room, which was a nice touch. This was in addition to the Platinum gift. Although, when I entered the room, there was no wine. A quick call to the front desk had the wine delivered to my room.

The room is nicely laid out, although not as nice, nor as large as the Sky View room at the JWMD.

Like the JWMD, the lounge is a dedicated space on the 18th floor, so no worries about being kicked out when it converts to a bar like they do at the Sheraton Gangnam.

Breakfast in the lounge is acceptable. They didn't take any egg orders on demand though, the only eggs they had were scrambled and "soft-boiled" (they were actually hard-boiled). The afternoon tea that is available consists of cakes/cookies, and it is also a nice touch.

The gym/sauna is included and is VERY nice. The sauna is done up in a very Korean-upscale style, so they provide workout clothes, earphones at all workout machines (you pick up ear covers upon entering), classes, and body composition check-ups. There is also a golf "driving range" (you whack a ball into mesh), but that costs extra (7,000KRW per half-hour).
The gym/sauna does have a downside, in that it is located in a separate building. So you either have to cross the street, or go through the subway tunnel in the basement.

The neighborhood around the Plaza is MUCH better than the JWMD, IMO. A lot more restaurants (I particularly enjoy Mom's Touch), convenience stores, and things to do (Karaoke rooms, PC Bangs, etc). Also, there's basically always cabs waiting outside, so it's a lot easier to grab a cab than it is at the JWMD.

I have not yet enjoyed the happy hour at the lounge yet, but intend on doing so tonight, so I will provide an update once I've had a chance to do so.

Overall though, I would pick the Plaza Seoul over the JW Marriott Dongdaemun any day. Although it's a cat4 vs the JWMD's cat5, I think it is a much better hotel.

Also, if anyone has any questions or would like me to look into something, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’ve only ever stayed at the Westin Chosun, but it was a positive experience. As a plat my family was upgraded to a suite despite the 9 night stay, my young son’s breakfast was comped every day, the location was convenient, the room and lobby were fine (David Smith sculpture by the elevator bank IIRC), and a nice (but very expensive) bar area. The hotel is also home to a justly famous sushi restaurant, and I’ve heard good things about the lounge which I did not visit because of the no child policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.