Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
In spite of being less central than some of the other choices mentioned, I believe that the JWM Dongdaemun is worth considering. Although part of my stay was during Hera Fashion Week, I was upgraded to what I believe was the 2nd largest suite. The lounge was never crowded and the employees that worked there were some of the nicest I've met at any hotel.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 16, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm asking CO-PLAT (not OP) whether or not he/she was upgraded. The post immediately above mine reports on a stay as a PP and suggests that there was no upgrade, but doesn't exactly state this.
I don't know if I'm in an upgraded room or not. There was no mention of it upon check-in. The room is nice, but definitely not a suite. 16th floor room with a little sofa in the corner.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I don't know if I'm in an upgraded room or not. There was no mention of it upon check-in. The room is nice, but definitely not a suite. 16th floor room with a little sofa in the corner.
Even if the front desk tells insists that I was upgraded, if the assigned room isn't obviously different form the one I booked, I don't consider my room an upgrade
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Aloft, Plaza or Courtyard Myeongdong Seoul?

Heading to Seoul for six nights in January and have only stayed at the Westin and do like that area. Looking to book a hotel on points but the Westin is not available on points so considering the Aloft, Plaza or Courtyard hotels as an alternative. Aloft is 14K/night, Courtyard 17K/night, Plaza 25K/night, 6th night free promo applies to all hotels. I have seen good reviews on the Courtyard but haven't read up on the other two hotels. I am a LT PPE so chance of upgrades would be another consideration.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you mean fifth night free? If so, AFAIK it applies to all points bookings, assuming it's done as a single reservation, with the same guest, consecutive dates, same room type, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you mean fifth night free? If so, AFAIK it applies to all points bookings, assuming it's done as a single reservation, with the same guest, consecutive dates, same room type, etc.
Oops, yes 5th night free...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect the best elite recognition/benefits at the Plaza, but it's a lot more points. It's also IMO a slightly better location unless you mostly want to shop. Otherwise, I wouldn't see major differences between the two, so why not save a few points and go for the aloft?

Is the JW available? It's gotten good reviews here recently, although it's in a different area (along the creek, near fashion square or whatever).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
For the record, official policy is that Alofts don't upgrade, although I have been upgraded at Aloft more than once in the past. Might be something to consider though.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I stayed recently at the Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun, it was quite nice, and had a good executive lounge for breakfast, recharging while looking out the window and etc. No experience with the others, but I found this property to be really good, and will stay again on next visit.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by magendim
Heading to Seoul for six nights in January and have only stayed at the Westin and do like that area. Looking to book a hotel on points but the Westin is not available on points so considering the Aloft, Plaza or Courtyard hotels as an alternative. Aloft is 14K/night, Courtyard 17K/night, Plaza 25K/night, 6th night free promo applies to all hotels. I have seen good reviews on the Courtyard but haven't read up on the other two hotels. I am a LT PPE so chance of upgrades would be another consideration.
I would also consider the JW Marriott Dongdaemun, which is a Cat 5 like the Westin.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I spent 6 nights at Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun recently and would second it as a recommendation. Decent lounge, nice room and we were within walking distance of some great sights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ellie_nz
I spent 6 nights at Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun recently and would second it as a recommendation. Decent lounge, nice room and we were within walking distance of some great sights.
Agreed, I did 7 nights here and wouldn't hesitate to come back again. It's not too far from Myeongdong when walking either.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I just spent 7 days at the JW Marriott Seoul. It recently reopened after a complete renovation.

Wow. Just wow. It was without doubt the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at on business anywhere in the world. I am Platinum Premier and was upgraded to a larger room (but not a suite). Though a work desk with a work chair would have been nice (I guess that's oh so 1990's), the room was otherwise perfect. The Executive Lounge was outstanding. It was amazingly large. As a PP I could invite my travelling companion to the lounge without extra charge. The breakfast was great. The lunch and dinner "presentations" were somewhat lacking in variety but with my jetlag it didn't really matter. After 6 PM there was wine, beer and mixed drinks for free. The wifi worked great.

The fitness center was actually part of a very high end fitness club for locals. Without doubt, it was the largest and best equipped fitness center I have ever visited whether in a hotel or otherwise.

The hotel is next to a very high end department store. Surprisingly, the liquor store in the basement had reasonably decent prices. The prices for almost everything else were laughably high (when I saw the price of the green grapes for sale, I doubled on the free green grapes in the lounge!).

Next to the department store is the Seoul express bus terminal. But this was unlike any bus terminal I have ever seen before. There were tons of tasty Korean and chinese restaurants, all very affordable and inviting. As well, there were a large variety of US chains represented including Shake Shack and See's Candies!

Teh hotel is next to a subway station so it is incredibly convenient to travel almost anywhere in Seoul. The bus stop for the bus to Incheon is perhaps a tiny bit farther than is ideal (its across the street from the department store I refer to above).
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by magendim
Heading to Seoul for six nights in January and have only stayed at the Westin and do like that area. Looking to book a hotel on points but the Westin is not available on points so considering the Aloft, Plaza or Courtyard hotels as an alternative. Aloft is 14K/night, Courtyard 17K/night, Plaza 25K/night.
Hmm, how do you get Aloft for 14k? I see it is priced exactly same as Courtyards and Four Points.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
I just spent 7 days at the JW Marriott Seoul. It recently reopened after a complete renovation.

Wow. Just wow. It was without doubt the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at on business anywhere in the world. I am Platinum Premier and was upgraded to a larger room (but not a suite). Though a work desk with a work chair would have been nice (I guess that's oh so 1990's), the room was otherwise perfect. The Executive Lounge was outstanding. It was amazingly large. As a PP I could invite my travelling companion to the lounge without extra charge. The breakfast was great. The lunch and dinner "presentations" were somewhat lacking in variety but with my jetlag it didn't really matter. After 6 PM there was wine, beer and mixed drinks for free. The wifi worked great.

The fitness center was actually part of a very high end fitness club for locals. Without doubt, it was the largest and best equipped fitness center I have ever visited whether in a hotel or otherwise.

The hotel is next to a very high end department store. Surprisingly, the liquor store in the basement had reasonably decent prices. The prices for almost everything else were laughably high (when I saw the price of the green grapes for sale, I doubled on the free green grapes in the lounge!).

Next to the department store is the Seoul express bus terminal. But this was unlike any bus terminal I have ever seen before. There were tons of tasty Korean and chinese restaurants, all very affordable and inviting. As well, there were a large variety of US chains represented including Shake Shack and See's Candies!

Teh hotel is next to a subway station so it is incredibly convenient to travel almost anywhere in Seoul. The bus stop for the bus to Incheon is perhaps a tiny bit farther than is ideal (its across the street from the department store I refer to above).
Their fitness facilities has full court basketball too! They really did renovate some spaces well but I hate that they kept the same one basin sink design as before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.