Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:52 pm
Suspended

I would go with a Zurich Card that includes not Only the Train from the AP to the City, but the Trams and best of All a 2 1/2 boat trip on The Lake as well as a Canal boat tour.

I know there are various cards that are from 1 Day to X days. They include admission to some of the Museams as well.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
For option 1) The main station in Zurich is actually quite close to Marriott Zurich, it is may be a 10 minute walk along the canal. But with your suit case etc, I am not sure if that will be a pleasant walk as you will be crossing a fairly busy intersection with trams and cars.

The hotel itself is not central but you can pretty much walk to everything. The Bahnofstrasse starts from the train station, the Landesmusuem right next to the station, the lake front is may be only 20 minutes away.

I took a taxi to/from the hotel when I was there, can't recall the fare though. I would recommend taking a day trip to Lucerne if you have time. You can take the train right from the main station.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas Gold, HHonors Gold, A|Club Gold, Marriott Silver, ICHG Gold
Don't know about direct Marriott <-> ZRH fares, but ZRH -> Zurich Ren is ~25 CHF. The Marriott is just near the entrance to one of the longer tunnels (the Milchbuck) and so easy to get to from the airport - suspect the fare will come out at just under 50 CHF.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
tipping a cabbie or at a eatery for that matter, more like US or Australia?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
Hi, I too am going to be staying at one of these hotels, does anyone have a choice between renaisance 180 sf or marriott 225 sf, is the marriott worth the extra expense? thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:12 am
Original Member

As you can guess from this post, one cost is transportation. Once at the Marriott, you can access the town easily. Staying at Ren, you need to take more transport to do things in town.

I am paying points. Did not compare rooms, just location. We are 3 at Ren and 6 at Marriott in August. Will let you know in trip report my thoughts. Both get good reviews on this board and on others.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Renaissance Zurich summary gives 2 nearby (1km) places to eat

Al Dente, Italian 8152, Glattbrugg, Tieladresse, 17 (Pizzeria in TMC fashion square???????). Lunch and dinner

Mama Mia no data, except Italian and serves lunch and dinner

Unfortunately my web searches seem to end, as the rest seemed to be in German or unavailable. Address for Mama Mia? Pricing? Directions. Recommendations?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
It's a nice hotel, but I wouldn't stay there again. Nothing is nearby. Stay downtown.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:40 am

New tram service

While this does not change the fact that there is basically nothing of interest in the immediate surroundings of the Ren, tram line 11 is being extended right to its doorstep and should enter service in December. It will provide direct service to the center of town in about 30 min.

The 11 is a great tram line, as it goes right through the city center, along the Bahnhofstrasse.

Personally, I would not choose to stay in a suburban office park setting on holiday, but depending on other parameters (free stay on points for example ), agree it might make sense.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:47 am

Dining options (or lack of same)

Oh, regarding restaurants - only place besides the hotel itself (quite good, but it's been a few years) that I've eaten at in the immediate surroundings is the cafeteria of the office complex (Zurich Financial Services / Ambassador House) it's attached to. Standard office building self service fare, open Mon-Fri for lunch.

Mamma mia is a) quite a distance from the hotel on foot and b) nothing to write home about.

The bus stop close to the hotel will take you into the more lively "Oerlikon" neighborhood - a restaurant that I've been meaning to try called "Giesserei" should be within walking distance of the Oerlikon train station (the last stop on the bus) or you can change to tram 11 for one stop to "Regensbergbrücke":
www.diegiesserei.ch
Unfortunately, I see that they're closed on weekends in August

Otherwise, I recently attended a convention at the Swissotel right at Oerlikon station and the food was surprisingly good, although the setting is of course completely generic upscale hotel.
http://zurich.swissotel.com/

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Marriott vs. Arabella-Sheraton in Zurich

Hello -

I'm going to Zurich in March, and am trying to decide where to stay. I'm hoping to use points, so it's either the Marriott or the Arabella-Sheraton. Location is probably the most important factor - since it'll be chilly in March, I'd prefer somewhere close to restaurants, shopping, etc. Based on my research so far, the two hotels seem relatively comparable in terms of location, and it seems like the tram system would make getting around easy anyway, but I was wondering if anyone in either the Starwood or Marriott forums had an opinion.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:37 am

Thumbs up

Returned to this great property last week. Some highlights:

- They discontinued the city shuttle back in Dec. Tram #11 now runs past the hotel, with a stop across the street. Stops include the Oerlikon train station & area shopping/dining, the main train station in the city center, and along the Bahnhofstrasse. Takes about 20min from hotel to downtown. One comes by every 7-8 minutes so it's definitely more convenient than the shuttle. Front desk sells day passes for ~10 CHF. Desk staff did say that a private shuttle service will soon start running again for the area's hotels.

- Room UG to a club-floor Jr. Suite which includes free wi-fi and minibar soft-drinks. Wi-fi works by entering your room number & name at the login page. Access to the PC's in the conference room floor also are included with the wi-fi package.

- Club lounge closes on the weekend, reopening Sun evening, but they do comp breakfast in the Brasserie. The lobby breakfast on the weekend included some dim sum as well as the regular stuff.

- There's a dedicated elevator for fitness center access which I found convenient and dumps you straight into the gym; no need to use the main elevator and walk across the parking garage.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat
Zurich Renaissance or Courtyard - Great Rates

Got a 159 CHF/night rate at the Zurich Renaissance Airport and a 139 CHF/night rate at the Zurich Courtyard Nord for May and June. Used "AAA" for the Renaissance and "LPR" for the Courtyard. Both rates are well below published rates.

The LPR (Local Promotional Rate) Marriott code seems to be working well for me in eastern/southern Europe and it does not give any restrictions.

Any advice as to which hotel is better? Much has been written about the Renaissance, but nothing on the Courtyard. I understand both are not city center but the Marriott Zurich is very expensive right now.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:54 pm

Anything under 160 CHF in Zurich is a good rate in my book.

Haven't stayed at CY, but I just posted my recent stay at the Ren.

The Ren does have a good club lounge during the week with ample breakfast and evening appetizers, if you're GLD/PLT. Also, you may even score an UG to a nice Jr. Suite, offering free Wi-Fi and mini-bar sodas. The free food and internet alone would convince me to stay here. Not sure about how CY treats elites.

I can say that geographically, CY is about the same distance north from the main train station, about 10 min drive. Also, looks like it's near major public transport, if that's important to you.

Last edited by ntamayo; Feb 21, 2007 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Excellent! Thank you for highlighting this, snagged an LPR rate myself for a weekend away later in the year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.