Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by sim510
Has anyone stayed at both of these fine Phuket properties? I'd like to get opinions from those who would help me make up my mind. We are not time share owners, but have managed to stay at Phuket Beach Club and absolutely LOVED it, over the New Year period for the past couple of years. We like that it is next to the J W with options for restaurants/breakfast pastries, pools, etc, although we do walk over to the Turtle Village and the Anatara for other food choices as well. We also rent a car so can get around the island of Phuket as needed.

This year I am seeing availability using points at the Mai Khao Beach Resort for our dates, but no special deals on PBC are on the horizon. I have never taken the time to have a look at the MKBR property. I am assuming it is similar in furnishings to the PBC condo we are so pleased to call "home" for a week every Dec/Jan.

Would you suggest we try the MKBR property this time around? I like that it is close to Turtle Village. I'm not a big "beach" person so the extra walking time to get to the sand is no big deal. I really like the PBC's tropical grounds with all the palm trees and birds, etc, and LOVE spending time on my "secluded" balcony. Will I feel that way at MKBR? In the photos I don't see that tropical setting. Maybe I'm missing it.

What would you suggest? I guess I can wait it out, and maybe, just maybe, find a good deal on PBC, or I can go ahead and book the MKBR and give it a try. My fellow travellers are saying that the decision is mine to make!

Your opinions would be much appreciated. To book MKBR or NOT to book MKBR. That is the question.
Well they do say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush but perhaps some information would help.

Mai Khao Beach Club (MKBC)and Phuket beach Club (PBC)are both Vacation Club Resorts BUT there are some differences.

MKBC is a separate resort and is 100% MVCI Asia Pacific Club owned and operated. All to the same MVCI standards but there are now weeks owners - all the weeks are owned by the Asia Pacific Points Club. PBC has weeks owners and also a bunch of weeks are owned by the AP Club.

PBC is completely integrated with the JW Marriott whereas MKBC is completely separate. PBC guests have full access to the JW facilities, pools, fitness centre, spa, tennis etc. MKBC guests have no access to the JW facilities other than the restaurants and bars. PBC units are all typical Thai style whereas MKBC are modern and contemporary style that you could find in any western resort.

MKBC has no beach frontage - despite the name, whereas PBC has beach frontage and access.

My personal choice would be PBC over MKBC but if MKBC is what is available then that is still OK just not a nice as PBC.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by qwest01
Well they do say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush but perhaps some information would help.

Mai Khao Beach Club (MKBC)and Phuket beach Club (PBC)are both Vacation Club Resorts BUT there are some differences.

MKBC is a separate resort and is 100% MVCI Asia Pacific Club owned and operated. All to the same MVCI standards but there are now weeks owners - all the weeks are owned by the Asia Pacific Points Club. PBC has weeks owners and also a bunch of weeks are owned by the AP Club.

PBC is completely integrated with the JW Marriott whereas MKBC is completely separate. PBC guests have full access to the JW facilities, pools, fitness centre, spa, tennis etc. MKBC guests have no access to the JW facilities other than the restaurants and bars. PBC units are all typical Thai style whereas MKBC are modern and contemporary style that you could find in any western resort.

MKBC has no beach frontage - despite the name, whereas PBC has beach frontage and access.

My personal choice would be PBC over MKBC but if MKBC is what is available then that is still OK just not a nice as PBC.
Really the beach at PBC is not very useful, often it has red flag prohibiting swimming. I highly advise adhering to the warnings.

The pool area over at MKBC is nice. Just no view of the ocean. You can still walk over to the JW and access it's restaurants. Or take a shuttle to the Ren as well.

I like the PBC more, but I am an owner there.

I'd say go for it. You can always cancel the points if you find something better in the meantime.

Billy
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for those replies. My gut feeling is that I would prefer to stay at the PBC once again. I know that MKBC isn't directly on the beach, as I've been past it many times. That isn't a huge concern because I'm not planning to go into the water, but do enjoy beach walks and sunset views.

I've never cancelled a points booking with Marriott. Is there a "cost" to me in doing that, on the chance that I should find something better between now and end of December? I'm a platinum if that makes any difference.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:59 pm

Each location has its own cancellation policy with a points booking. You have a certain length of time to cancel (MKBC looks to be 2 days in advance, while the Renaissance & JW have 30 days in advance), and if you miss the cancellation time frame, you'll have to pay a fee, sometimes one night, sometimes worth the value of the whole reservation. It won't be your points, it will be cash. Check the terms and conditions on the page where you confirm everything at the bottom - it will give you the cancellation policy, including the fee, at that time.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambo, HH Gold, Marriott VC AP Owner, AA Plat, UA Silver
I can offer a referral for a 4-day 3-night vacation at Mai Khao Beach as a current Asia Pacific owner. You just have to attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation. PM me if you're interested.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:31 am
Suspended

former GM at the Renaissance Phuket is now GM of the Hua Hin Marriott

I'll meet the new GM at the Renaissance Phuket later this month
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Im a Platinum member heading to Phuket for honeymoon in a couple weeks. Right now I have two rooms booked for 5 nights:
-Ocean front pool suite at the JW Phuket (got upgraded from an ocean front suite) for 280,000 points
-Family Lagoon Pool Access room at the JW KL for 190,000

What room do you think I'm getting better value with? Based on everything I read in this thread, sounds like JW Phuket has a little more to do on the resort while KL has more options off the resort and a little nicer beach, is that a fair assessment?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by englert
Im a Platinum member heading to Phuket for honeymoon in a couple weeks. Right now I have two rooms booked for 5 nights:
-Ocean front pool suite at the JW Phuket (got upgraded from an ocean front suite) for 280,000 points
-Family Lagoon Pool Access room at the JW KL for 190,000

What room do you think I'm getting better value with? Based on everything I read in this thread, sounds like JW Phuket has a little more to do on the resort while KL has more options off the resort and a little nicer beach, is that a fair assessment?
KL has a street full of local and foreign cuisine, a village atmosphere and a nice resort. Nothing wrong with JW Phuket but it's better sites to families than couples. There are only resort restaurants and franchises controlled by the resort at JW Phuket. It gets old fast.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wait, what? If you're on your honeymoon, why do you need 2 rooms? Sorry, couldn't resist. Have a great trip & congrats on your wedding.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I would rather stay at J W Phuket than at J W Khao Lak. J W Phuket has the Turtle Village shopping plaza (not very big, but still has several shops and dining options) as well as the resort options. You can walk to Turtle Village from the J W, or take their hotel shuttle. There is also an Anantara time share resort nearby and it has a very good pizza restaurant. When I stayed at J W in Khao Lak we needed a car to get to other dining options. Not so at J W Phuket.

Just my own opinion. I prefer J W Phuket over Khao Lak.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sim510
I would rather stay at J W Phuket than at J W Khao Lak. J W Phuket has the Turtle Village shopping plaza (not very big, but still has several shops and dining options) as well as the resort options. You can walk to Turtle Village from the J W, or take their hotel shuttle. There is also an Anantara time share resort nearby and it has a very good pizza restaurant. When I stayed at J W in Khao Lak we needed a car to get to other dining options. Not so at J W Phuket.

Just my own opinion. I prefer J W Phuket over Khao Lak.
I have to disagree. Turtle village is a disgrace. A low quality pub (same franchise by Minor Corp that runs the pub in HKT airport, which is disgusting), a noodle shop which is always out of 3/4 of their menu items and a few overpriced boutiques.

The restaurants at Anantara, JW, Sala, Renaissance are all hideously expensive, expect for Marriott if you have a local membership and get 50% off.

By contrast, Khao Lak is a shuttle away from the main street which has lots and lots of restaurants, little markets, and while not cheap, it's not resort priced. The three restaurants on-resort are pretty decent (not gross anyway) and are of course about as expensive as the ones at JW Phuket.

The thing that bothers me most at JW Phuket is that it's attached to two Marriott timeshare which attract LOTS and LOTS of kids. If you want to spend your honeymoon in a kid zoo, then JW Phuket is the place to be.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Thanks for all the info. Has anyone stayed in the ocean front pool suite at the JW Phuket before? Im wondering how private it is. If its pretty secluded from the rest of the resort I'm ok with the crowds and kids, we'll have our refuge there.

Also it looks like there are some restaurants a few miles off the resort, is it that difficult to get taxis?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks for all the info. Has anyone stayed in the ocean front pool suite at the JW Phuket before? Im wondering how private it is. If its pretty secluded from the rest of the resort I'm ok with the crowds and kids, we'll have our refuge there.

Also it looks like there are some restaurants a few miles off the resort, is it that difficult to get taxis?
I was upgraded to this a couple of years ago. It's very private but the pool is so substantial that unless you close the gate (and block your ocean view) you may have some people actually coming by for a swim thinking its a public pool.

There are a bunch of beachfront eateries halfway between JW and Renaissance. There are also shuttle carts between the two properties.

Taxis in Phuket are a mafia nightmare although they seem to have cleaned it up a bit. Why don't you just rent a car. It's about 6000 thb per week.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:12 pm
Suspended

these so called restaurants are no more then open air street food.

if the poster does rent a car better make sure they also have Int'l Drivers license - not required to rent but if he gets stopped, has accident or goes over the bridge towards Khao Lak (which has a rest below but expensive and bad food).

BTW, be careful about your taxi posts as defamation here is criminal.

Originally Posted by Allvest
I was upgraded to this a couple of years ago. It's very private but the pool is so substantial that unless you close the gate (and block your ocean view) you may have some people actually coming by for a swim thinking its a public pool.

There are a bunch of beachfront eateries halfway between JW and Renaissance. There are also shuttle carts between the two properties.

Taxis in Phuket are a mafia nightmare although they seem to have cleaned it up a bit. Why don't you just rent a car. It's about 6000 thb per week.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by leeky
these so called restaurants are no more then open air street food.

if the poster does rent a car better make sure they also have Int'l Drivers license - not required to rent but if he gets stopped, has accident or goes over the bridge towards Khao Lak (which has a rest below but expensive and bad food).

BTW, be careful about your taxi posts as defamation here is criminal.
Defamation is indeed a potential criminal liability but not for calling taxis in gernral. It's more against an individual or a specific company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.