Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Looking to visit Phuket in May next year for the first time, starting to do rough planning on hotels.

Wanted some suggestions as to where to stay in Phuket, as the hotels seem to be pretty spread out, in different regions...

We're mainly looking for a nice hotel to stay at, but will be mostly out during the day. Plan is to do some day trips to Phi Phi, Phang Nga Bay, go on a dive trip, visit city/old town if time permits. Given what we're doing, I imagine we'd want a location that's within the tour pick-up region (so I think the Renn and JW or out?).

Also, will be Plat at the time, are there any properties that provide better elite recognition?

For reference, I was initially gravitating towards either the 4P, LM, or Marriott Merlin Beach, not sure if I was on the right track or not. Although the Patong beach area.... doesn't seem like the nicest place to be.
The only other alternative Bonvoy property I see is the Marriott Nai Yang, but that looks really far away from all the activities?
Does it make sense to consider the Courtyard or the Westin instead?

Appreciate any feedback and assistance from all those that have more experience with Phuket.
We just got back home to Samui after five nights last week at the Marriott Phuket Merlin Beach. We didn't mind at all that it was stormy and sometimes torrential rain each and every day because (a) we live on Samui and have just suffered three months without a drop of rain; and (b) we were on the all inclusive rate which meant we were there to eat and drink for five days solid. I did feel for the Europeans though who had travelled long haul for their annual holiday-of-a-lifetime and were met with this weather for the week.

The view from one of our balconies

The private beach in the brief moment it wasn't actually raining

So, this is your worst case scenario next May. On the positive side, the fact it's like this meant we (as Titaniums) got a rare upgrade to one of the beach-front suites (there are only six of them IIRC) which will never happen in high season. Regarding hotels in Phuket, we were really impressed with the Marriott Merlin Beach and their all inclusive rate. I would choose it over the nearby Le Meridien as it offers a lot better value and I've never had so much as a category upgrade at LeM on the two times I stayed which admittedly were some years before the Great Plague. The FP in Patong is a nice hotel but small rooms and it's more a city/resort hotel that you'd choose if you want the kind of Thai holiday where you go out in Bangla Road every night (but then, shouldn't you go to Pattaya for all that). Merlin is close enough for the hotel to offer a free bus service to Patong (we went once this time and the taxi back was about THB300 late at night) but sufficiently far out of town with its own semi-private beach that you feel like you're in a resort away from it all in Thailand. I've nothing against Patong and it's got some decent malls for shopping so the proximity is also attractive for me.

Regarding elite recognition, we were personally greeted by the Director of Rooms when we arrived, got a free Chang beer as a welcome drink at check in, a voucher for two cocktails at the beachfront bar (which we didn't need because we were on the all inclusive rate), upgraded to the beachfront suite, and attended the weekly Bonvoy Elite drinks on the Wednesday night where they served free booze for an hour to (seemingly) all categories of elites and held a raffle in which we won an extra 4000 points that were credited immediately. We didn't ask for and weren't offered a late checkout as we were flying to Bangkok in the afternoon so 12pm was fine for us. We've had 4pm check out at the LeM Khao Lak both times we stayed there on the all inc rate so I don't know what the policy is on this at Merlin. Being a resort, it's not guaranteed.

Last edited by ftrichard; Jun 5, 2023 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the all feedback everyone. The weather can be fickle and can never be predicted. But since May is the only time I can manage to get some time off next year, May it is

Looking at some sample dates, looks like Merlin Beach is about half the cost of the JW. Given I may or may not spend that much time at the resort... Perhaps I'll go with Merlin.

It doesn't seem like the JW is that much better/nicer based on some reviews?

EDIT: Looked around a bit more, there are too many hotel options in Phuket.... If I disregard Marriott, are there other properties that are highly recommended?

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jun 7, 2023 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Cancellation Policy - Chrimbo/Peak Season

Merlin Beach's cancellation policy for the bog standard Flexible and "Deals and Packages" Rates during the dates leading to Christmas are 60 days. Seems abnormally high. Its MB peers, LM and Nai Yang, are stipulating 7 days and 1 day respectively. 4 Points Patpong's also a 1 day policy.

Speaking of 4P Patpong, it seems to be already sold out of regular rooms for the dates leading to Christmas, just 6 months out. The strange thing is that the search implies that regular rooms are available, based on the indicative "From XXXX Thb", but when you click on the hotel, you see only suites available at appropriately higher prices.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
4P Patong
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Question Advice adults only Thailand Phuket

Me and my wife need some advice, we are thinking about a nice summer trip in 2024. Witch resort is the best for a Adult Only feeling. We want to avoid families with children. We were thinking about:The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket or Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Thanks for advice.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
JW Phuket vs JW Khao Lak

I think I’ve narrowed down my Marriott choices between the JW Phuket and JW Khao Lak.

I like that the Khao Lak is cheaper, but it seems much farther away from Phuket. For anyone that’s stayed at the Khao Lak, how have you found doing tourist things in Phuket? Is it a hassle?

Appreciate any other feedback on comparing these 2 hotels.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
KL is about a 1.5 hour drive from Phuket now. Depends what you want to do in terms of touristic things. If there are specifics associated with activities on Phuket then stay a few days and then move up to KL
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
I think I’ve narrowed down my Marriott choices between the JW Phuket and JW Khao Lak.

I like that the Khao Lak is cheaper, but it seems much farther away from Phuket. For anyone that’s stayed at the Khao Lak, how have you found doing tourist things in Phuket? Is it a hassle?

Appreciate any other feedback on comparing these 2 hotels.
JW Phuket have a great location for boat excursion, harbors are mostly in the east of Phuket and some are very close.
JW Khao lak is really on Phang Nga peninsula, it's too far for Phuket excursion, unless you want to spend your life in transportation.

JW Phuket have old style Thai building and rooms, JW Khao Lak have modern rooms/style.

I preferred the service that I get in JW Phuket and the upgrade was much better too, breakfast have superior quality items than the JW Khao Lak and It's more quiet (2 locations possible).
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:10 am

Dear All - has someone stayed at JW Phuket and Khao Lak and able to advise which one has better beach access. We are staying 5 nights in Le Merdian early April and will then be moving onto either JW Phuket or Khao Lak. I have been driving myself mad thinking which one would be best. In terms of importance, ability to spend time on the beach and swim in the sea followed by a few local shacks/msssage places within walking distance is all we are after.

We are Titaniums, travelling with a 7 year old and currently holding bookings in both property. Don't mind being in a secluded area and we would have received our city fix beforehand. Please can anyone who has been to the two hotels share feedback. I will compromise on service over Beach and Roo Quality
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, BW Diamond, Aeroplan 25k
Khao Lak

Khao Lak for sure. Our family did a week at the Mai Khao Beach resort near JW, poaching their facilities fairly regularly since the pools were way better than ours. The beach there however was not great, especially for kids...quite eroded and waves were too high for kids....even adults many days.

We then did a week at Khao Lak, where beach was a more gentle pitch, small waves and much more sand. Plus their wrap around pool/lagoon was a huge hit with our kids, definitely better than JWP pools. The KL beach bar was also excellent for food and drink, literally on the sand which had no equivalent at JWP.

Both resorts have equivalent facilities and location, need to drive to a proper town but a few shacks on the outskirts...if a bit more extensive at KL (including laundry).

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Poojs_80
Dear All - has someone stayed at JW Phuket and Khao Lak and able to advise which one has better beach access. We are staying 5 nights in Le Merdian early April and will then be moving onto either JW Phuket or Khao Lak. I have been driving myself mad thinking which one would be best. In terms of importance, ability to spend time on the beach and swim in the sea followed by a few local shacks/msssage places within walking distance is all we are after.

We are Titaniums, travelling with a 7 year old and currently holding bookings in both property. Don't mind being in a secluded area and we would have received our city fix beforehand. Please can anyone who has been to the two hotels share feedback. I will compromise on service over Beach and Roo Quality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.