Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I've stayed at the Marriott Merlin Beach, Four Points Phuket, Renaissance, Le Meridien Khao Lak, Westin Siray Bay, Ritz Phulay Bay, Naka Island, and Marriott Nai Yang (many for several weeks) over the past three months. I've also toured both JWs, the Le Meridien Phuket, and the just-opened Courtyard Phuket Town. Different properties have different strong points, but I've made the Marriott Nai Yang my home based on a combination of a great oceanfront pool villa upgrade, reasonable prices both for rooms and F&B, OK location (still not great, as even Bang Tao is 25 minutes away, but it's not as remote as the Mai Khao or Khao Lak properties), and a good beach. I'd be most likely to return to the Ritz and Le Meridien Khao Lak, but the Naka Island, Renaissance, and Four Points are strong too.

Best beach: Le Meridien Phuket (but otherwise a property I was keen to avoid--felt like a ghost town, and they don't upgrade beyond single-room junior suites)
Best service: Strong across the board (better than I've had at some US Ritz Carltons at every property in Phuket including the Four Points). Ritz Phulay Bay was the best, however. Our butler, Yid, was always present and amazing. Note that the Ritz itself isn't doesn't have much of a beach, but there are free speedboat transfers to a beach they have on another island (sadly the boat was cancelled due to weather the two days we were there). Also note that despite being a Ritz Carlton Reserve, the property treats Bonvoy elites very well, including very generous room upgrades and late checkout (we were offered 6 p.m.)
Best rooms/upgrades: Marriott Nai Yang, Renaissance, and Le Meridien Khao Lak all upgrade elites to villas with private pools. All of the Nai Yang ones are seafront and the Renaissance has a few seafront villas but they may be sold out. The worst upgrades/rooms at the moment are the Courtyard (the floor with the suites isn't complete yet and the available junior suites are a standard room with an additional small windowless room near the entry with a sofa) and the Marriott Merlin Beach which hasn't had suites available for booking in at least four months (with nothing bookable in the near future either). The Four Points is generous with suite upgrades when possible, but it's a dense property (>600 rooms in a small area) and ~85% of rooms, including all but four suites, don't have balconies or even windows that open.
Best location for restaurants: Courtyard by far. Loads of restaurants and an amazing Sunday market all in close walking distance. Phuket Town is well worth exploring. If you have a car, the Westin is only a 10-minute drive from Phuket Town, but the property itself feels old and is quite dirty (particularly the beach).
Best F&B: Marriott Merlin Beach. Reasonable prices and solid food, particularly in the Thai restaurant. The Pla Manao, whole steamed seabass in garlic and lime, there is the best I've had in Thailand, and I've had it in dozens of places. That preparation isn't on the menu at the Marriott, but you can request it. They have live fish, according to a staff member. Breakfast is great across properties, but my ranking would be Ritz, Naka Island, Four Points, Marriott Merlin Beach, Renaissance, Marriott Nai Yang, Westin Siray Bay, Le Meridien Khao Lak.
Excellent summary, thanks.
As for best beach, noting the comments about the property, do you reckon the "ghost town" vibe will change with travel now opening up?
Leonard Low likes this.

Last edited by skye1; Nov 18, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skye1
Excellent summary, thanks.
As for best beach, noting the comments about the property, do you reckon the "ghost town" vibe will change with travel now opening up?
Maybe? In fairness, I haven't been there since August, as I felt no desire to return. Still no chance of an upgrade to a proper two-room suite, let alone the standalone villas with private pools you can get a free upgrade to at the Marriott Nai Yang, Renaissance, and Le Meridien Khao Lak, and it's an old highrise property (I believe it was the second resort built in Phuket).

I'm currently staying at the Courtyard Phuket Town. The staff are great, so I really want to like the property, but I don't. Perhaps when the 18th floor with suites opens early next year it'll be better. They're having an issue with a strong sewage smell in some of the rooms (I switched rooms because of that just after check-in), sound-proofing is lacking (I can hear things from the room next door despite no connecting door and my original fifth floor room looked out over massive fans that emitted a never-ending hum), windows don't open, and rooms don't have any sitting area other than a single chair, except the junior suites that have the awkward and incredible uncomfortable couch and two chairs in a dark alcove with no TV. The distance from the rainfall shower head to the shower floor is certainly less than six feet (thankfully I'm short) and there are some initial issues with housekeeping (hair seemingly from several people across the bathroom floor and in the bathmat, some rooms missing toiletries or with the wrong toiletries) that I imagine will be fixed as they get up to speed. As a Courtyard, Platinum+ aren't entitled to breakfast, though you can select the 300thb/day F&B credit as your amenity and that covers about 3/4 of the breakfast cost. On the plus side, the pool is great.
luxk69 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, SQ Gold, QR Gold, Aeroflot Bonus Silver, KLM
Phuket Sandbox with kids advice

Greetings from snowy Moscow!
Planning to go to Phuket with kids, 7 and 4 in January. Bonvoy Titanium, if that matters. Looking for a resort, with swimmable beach, ideally with kids club. A lounge would be nice of course. Plan to stay for 2 weeks - worth breaking the stay into two? Plan also for a trip or two in Phuket for the kids (elephants, waterpark). Is Khao Lak (LM or JW) too far/nowhere to be considered? Other ideas are Marriott Merlin beach, Westin Sirau Bay or Marriott Nai Yang... Would appreciate any advice or word of wisdom. Many thanks to everyone, and happy holadys and pleasant travels!
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by vasilyborisov
Planning to go to Phuket with kids, 7 and 4 in January. Bonvoy Titanium, if that matters. Looking for a resort, with swimmable beach, ideally with kids club. A lounge would be nice of course. Plan to stay for 2 weeks - worth breaking the stay into two? Plan also for a trip or two in Phuket for the kids (elephants, waterpark). Is Khao Lak (LM or JW) too far/nowhere to be considered? Other ideas are Marriott Merlin beach, Westin Sirau Bay or Marriott Nai Yang... Would appreciate any advice or word of wisdom. Many thanks to everyone, and happy holadys and pleasant travels!
I am not a fan of Phuket but I love Khao Lak. I've often landed in Phuket and then rented a car. It is an hour and fifteen minute or so drive from the airport with lots little strips of shops and the like.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vasilyborisov
Both the JW/LM are awesome, not too far depending where you stay in Phuket. The beaches should be swimmable now it's high season and it should have no waves. Not sure if they have kids clubs or not, but can ask about that ahead of time.

In Phuket, you won't be able to swim at Merlin Beach, but you can probably take the kids on the kayaks etc. Nai Yang has super shallow waters and would be fun for kids and a nice beach. Again not sure if they have kids clubs or not.

None of the island hotels have club lounges with Marriott unfortunately. I think I would choose the hotels you like most, then contact concierge to arrange activities for you. I would definitely suggest splitting the stay so it doesn't get stale and book ahead to confirm upgrades.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed at the Marriott Merlin Beach, Four Points Phuket, Renaissance, Le Meridien Khao Lak, Westin Siray Bay, Ritz Phulay Bay, Naka Island, and Marriott Nai Yang (many for several weeks) over the past three months. I've also toured both JWs, the Le Meridien Phuket, and the just-opened Courtyard Phuket Town. Different properties have different strong points, but I've made the Marriott Nai Yang my home based on a combination of a great oceanfront pool villa upgrade, reasonable prices both for rooms and F&B, OK location (still not great, as even Bang Tao is 25 minutes away, but it's not as remote as the Mai Khao or Khao Lak properties), and a good beach. I'd be most likely to return to the Ritz and Le Meridien Khao Lak, but the Naka Island, Renaissance, and Four Points are strong too.

Best beach: Le Meridien Phuket (but otherwise a property I was keen to avoid--felt like a ghost town, and they don't upgrade beyond single-room junior suites)
Best service: Strong across the board (better than I've had at some US Ritz Carltons at every property in Phuket including the Four Points). Ritz Phulay Bay was the best, however. Our butler, Yid, was always present and amazing. Note that the Ritz itself isn't doesn't have much of a beach, but there are free speedboat transfers to a beach they have on another island (sadly the boat was cancelled due to weather the two days we were there). Also note that despite being a Ritz Carlton Reserve, the property treats Bonvoy elites very well, including very generous room upgrades and late checkout (we were offered 6 p.m.)
Best rooms/upgrades: Marriott Nai Yang, Renaissance, and Le Meridien Khao Lak all upgrade elites to villas with private pools. All of the Nai Yang ones are seafront and the Renaissance has a few seafront villas but they may be sold out. The worst upgrades/rooms at the moment are the Courtyard (the floor with the suites isn't complete yet and the available junior suites are a standard room with an additional small windowless room near the entry with a sofa) and the Marriott Merlin Beach which hasn't had suites available for booking in at least four months (with nothing bookable in the near future either). The Four Points is generous with suite upgrades when possible, but it's a dense property (>600 rooms in a small area) and ~85% of rooms, including all but four suites, don't have balconies or even windows that open.
Best location for restaurants: Courtyard by far. Loads of restaurants and an amazing Sunday market all in close walking distance. Phuket Town is well worth exploring. If you have a car, the Westin is only a 10-minute drive from Phuket Town, but the property itself feels old and is quite dirty (particularly the beach).
Best F&B: Marriott Merlin Beach. Reasonable prices and solid food, particularly in the Thai restaurant. The Pla Manao, whole steamed seabass in garlic and lime, there is the best I've had in Thailand, and I've had it in dozens of places. That preparation isn't on the menu at the Marriott, but you can request it. They have live fish, according to a staff member. Breakfast is great across properties, but my ranking would be Ritz, Naka Island, Four Points, Marriott Merlin Beach, Renaissance, Marriott Nai Yang, Westin Siray Bay, Le Meridien Khao Lak.
Given I am a Titanium member is it even worth applying SNAs for a reservation at either Marriott Nai Yang or Renaissance? Looking to stay at either in the near future and villa availability look strong.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
I will stay at the Courtyard Phuket Town in late Feb22 and very disappointed to hear about the bad smell there. I has hoping for a suite upgrade as Titanium ..hopefully the situation will improve until then. ..I have a question, the 300thb/day welcome gift is per person, right?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:25 pm

Taking your advise and doing a 7 night stay at the Marriott Phuket Nai Yang, so excited.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have stayed at the JW Phuket (there now), Nai Yang, Renaissance, Four Points, Meridien Khao Lak, JW Khao Lak so far in the last 3 months, all for at least 10’days with the exception of Four Points. Let me know if you want any information.

My preference is the JW Phuket, followed by JW KL and the Renaissance. Meridien KL pretty good too.

Nai Yang good if you bag a villa but a bit small of a footprint so if you have noisy guests… Easy walk along the beach to town. You will have fun.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jerrremy
Taking your advise and doing a 7 night stay at the Marriott Phuket Nai Yang, so excited.
The tide goes quite far out at Nai Yang so the view and the beach isn’t great. You also don’t get sunset most of the year and the food is very average.

I much prefer Renaissance the beach is a lot nicer, awesome sunset views, good food and one of the best hotel gyms I have ever seen and also one of the best breakfast spreads.

Having said that both places are quite isolated so it is useful if you have a scooter to get around.
Sohan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Jerrremy
7 Days in Nai Yang definitely way too long, you will get bored of the food very quickly and it is relatively quite far from everything and also lack of in house activities. I do recommend LM or Merlin for long stay as it is much closer to town and variety of restaurants and tons of in house acitivies.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

The big low tide beach has its charm

Hotel from the beach

It’s not the worst view. Just not close to the actual water for part of the day.

View from Nai Yang. It’s a 10m walk.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:33 pm

Looking to make a booking for June-July, around 10 days broken up between two properties, using points. A few questions:

1. Is it correct I can now book a property using points, and then booking my PCR test and airport transfers separately? This website lays out the process: https://thaiest.com/blog/covid-test-...est-go-sandbox. Would much rather burn points than make non-refundable bookings, like many of the test and go packages seem to be.

2. I'm travelling with two kids - my preference is for a suite where they have their own bedroom. As far as I can tell, the only properties that allow this with a point redemption are the two Vacation Club properties and Merlin Beach (Family room which looks like 2 interconnecting rooms). Any other options I'm missing? Only a Gold so can't bank on an upgrade.

3. Any tips on kids clubs? Any idea of the per hour/per day costs at various properties?
maplearrbee likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You need to decide whether you want to enter Thailand on Test & Go or the Phuket sandbox (assuming you're vaccinated). Test & Go is the way to go here. You book your room and (I'd do this at time of booking, or you can add later), you pay 2-4K THB extra for the transport, PCR test and day 5 self-test kit.
maplearrbee likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, BW Diamond, Aeroplan 25k
FormalHall same boat. We have 3&5 year old boys...had locked down ten days at Marriott Mai Khao a few weeks ago in the understanding that it was one of the properties jumping significantly. Logged in today and found that our 300k booking was now only 275k (?). Quick call got our points back, thanks Marriott Bonvoy!

Merlin isn't ideal, 25% more points and no kitchen. Also renting a car so remote not a huge deal (will do a week ABNB in Phuket town for walkable local colour). You mentioned being able to book the Beach Club on points though...for what dates? We'd prefer that property for access to the JW facilities (no longer an option from MMK), but only see Baht availability in early winter.

Also a mere Gold so while a villa sounds lovely, don't want to risk rolling the dice on an upgrade that may evaporate to two toddlers in a hotel room. :/

Last edited by maplearrbee; Apr 1, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.