Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by RevenueManager
(has anyone heard of any Marriott employees posting here getting in trouble, btw?)
FYI, here is the link to one who heard footsteps...........

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=29
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Just a reminder, even though I'm posting less since Chris' arrival I am still hanging around these parts ^
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I want to stay at your property. I am currently over 150 nights this year. I wonder what that would yield.
440 nights got me nothing.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
440 nights got me nothing.
How do you do 440 nights in one year?

If it was one continous stay, there'd be no "checkin", therefore no "welcome gift" according to what I've read here. I must say though, poor managment to not recognize that level.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:13 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Well, this is my second stay as a Platinum member and I must say so far it's not been going well. First hotel, no mention of Platinum status (though I did recieve a top floor room) and no Platinum gift. Next day ask for compensation and got it easily.

Second stay, exactly the same situation. And same result. Hotel did give me the $100 compensation.

While I wish I could say I was noble like the others, in my case, the compensation is basically a hotel rate reduction -- I pocket it. (All personal stays) Oh well. Hope my future stays are better, both for Marriott's bottom line sakes and so I can see the Platinum box/etc for the first time in years!

Last edited by pitflyer; Dec 17, 2004 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:05 am

Programs: MAR Plat
Plat Arrival Gift Bonus

Is anyone else having problems with the 500 points not being credited? 3 out of my last 5 stays were missing the points. Emailing customer service gets it resolved but I shouldn't have to.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold (Lifetime), SPG Plat
Last year, I had issues with it occassionally. With 40+ stays last year a handful didn't receive the 500 points. As you've stated, a short phone call corrected the issue. It's probably the property that is having the issues. I don't profess to know the procedure that they go thru, but I assume, they have to fill out some electronic form indicating that you took points instead of the arrival gift.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It all depends on the check-in staff. Even if they give you the card and check points, they still must have to key it into the system. Sometimes they forget.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
This happens all the time.

The last time my 500 points were not credited I called the hotel (Marriott Dulles Airport) and told them I would stop by next week and pick up $100.00 for the oversight.

I received a call in no less than 15 minutes from a manager at the property.
I received an apology and an envelope with $100.00 was waiting for me the following week.

I have commented on this before, there is a loophole in the T & C for receiving the $100.00 in that you must notify the hotel prior to checkout that you did not receive your Plat amenity. Well the points post a few days after your checkout.

The thing is the manager at the Dulles Airport agreed that his staff missed the mark. he had no problem giving me the money.

I would call the hotel and ask for $100.00 cash or a $100.00 bonus buck.
Old May 25, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, AA Plat, Hilton Silver
Had to ask for Plat gift: still entitled to compensation?

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
It is a catch 22. To get the $100 Guarantee you have to request it before you leave the property. Read the fine print in the terms and conditions.

QUOTE .....If a member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation.... UNQUOTE
Checked into a Marriott. No card or gift offered at check-in. Figured it would be waiting for me in the room. No such luck. Called down. Was on hold for a bit. She stumbled through the "menu" and I finally just took the points.

There is the question of whether I am technically entitled to the $100 and the question of whether I think it's ethically necessary to request the $100.

Any thoughts about this?
Old May 25, 2005, 5:47 pm

You should ask for compensation. It is a welcome amenity. If you are NOT offered it upon check-in or occupancy in your room within 30 minutes... It is not a welcome gift.

Had that happened to me once and the hotel tried to send something up 3 hours later I DON'T THINK SO!!! Got me my ... $100!!

The only way they learn in a hit on their bottom line!
Old May 25, 2005, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
You should ask for compensation. It is a welcome amenity. If you are NOT offered it upon check-in or occupancy in your room within 30 minutes... It is not a welcome gift.
That's not right. You can believe there is a 30 minute limit, but there isn't one.

I heard a story about several Plat guests who would, at all hotels they stayed in, check in, dash for their rooms, and then call and demand the Service Guarantee instantly because the gift wasn't in the room already. They would only have just indicated their preferences at the front desk. They would do this over and over again for the express purpose of wringing the Service Guarantee out of the hotel. This caused quite a few hotels to become, irritated. These people are the reasons why there are all the little nit-picky rules that everyone else has to live with.

Originally Posted by imverge
Had that happened to me once and the hotel tried to send something up 3 hours later I DON'T THINK SO!!! Got me my ... $100!!
I'll agree with you on that. No Gift = Demand for Service Guarantee (however, 30 minutes after arrival at the room is unrealistic). By accepting the substitute Points (if the chain offers it), you effectively are waiving your Arrival Gift, and the Service Guarantee doesn't apply to the 500 Bonus Points.
Old May 26, 2005, 6:49 am

Upon arrival at the Curacao Marriott last year I was presented with the Platinum Arrival Gift "menu" and told to choose two from among the many choices.

I chose the 500 points and a Curacao liquer sampler.

They asked me when I wanted it delivered and I indicated "in the evening...sometime after the dinner hour".

We went out to eat (Hook's Hut - didn't care for it) and upon our return there it was, beautify presented with two pieces of stemware on a linen napkin with a small bucket of ice.

Lights were turned low; bed turned down.

One of the many reasons I'm a big fan of that resort; not the fanciest, but certainly among the most gracious.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Platinum Arrival Gift Bonus for Gold?

I've noticed that I've been getting the 500 points for the Platinum Arrival Gift Bonus on a few of my past stays. The strange thing is is that I am only a Gold member. Any ideas?

Here's an example -
BASE EARNINGS

25% ELITE MEMBERSHIP BONUS

PLATINUM ARRIVAL GIFT BONUS
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
How many stays do you have this year? Are these all from the same location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.