Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
rebadc,

The Service Guarantee only applied to the arrival gift - not the 500 point option. This is why the benefit specifies that you must inform the hotel prior to check out. That way they will have the opportunity to correct the mistake or give the compensation.

If you choose the 500 points in lieu of the gift and they do not post with the stay, it is recommended to call or email Marriott Guest Services. They would be more than happy to make the necessary adjustment to your stay(s).

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks!

Chris
Wait a minute.................

The 500 point option "IS" an arrival gift option.

If the front desk fails to deliver my ice cream, beer, cheese, whatever, it is easily fixed with a call to the front desk.

If; on the other hand the front desk fails "to do its job" and add my bonus points I have to email marriott, or call the hotel a week later. then ***** on Flyertalk.

Either the guarantee is or is not.

Why am I to be inconvienced?

Oh, by the way your email dept has not responded to my origional inquiry,
What about a guarantee on timely replies to questions from elite members???
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
A further update, I received the check for the $100 for the bonus points not posting plus an extra 500 points for the inconvenience.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Update,

The hotel gave me movies and 5000 points.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Nicely handled at Columbus NW

I usually don't bother when my PLT arrival gift is missed - and it happens very rarely. But I'm going to be a regular in the Columbus OH area going forward and I figured it was a good test of customer service.

As I checked in, my PLT co-worker was busy selecting his 500 pts and receiving the key/jacket with special graphics, and I noticed the clerk was encoding a plain white key for me and a room on a middle floor. I figured I would give her a chance, so I pulled my PLT card out, showed it to her, and asked "is my number on the reservation?" She looked down, read off my number, and said "yes, all taken care of". OK, I gave her a shot - she does need some remedial training.

The next morning, I mentioned it to the clerk at the desk. She went back and got the manager, who asked me to explain the situation (no amenity, no lounge floor, no lounge access, no paper, no nothin'). She apologized multiple times and asked what there was she could do. I mentioned that I think there is a guarantee that applies. She said "certainly, I'll be right back". It took a couple of minutes, but she returned with a $100 bill, apologized again, and promised to find out what happened and try to prevent it in the future. With a smile on her face the whole time.

Very well handled.

I'll probably be putting in 100+ nights in the area over the next 10-12 months - it's good to know that I should be treated well.

And the $100 just went to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Thanks Marriott.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by eduboys
Are they supposed to offer you a platinum gift at a residence inn?
Similar question but about Courtyard.
I have never had them ask me but 99% of the time the gift is in the room.
If they don't offer at the desk and I get to my room and there is nothing, does that mean I am entitled to the $?
The last time it happened, I just called down and the immedietly sent up a bottle of water and cookies, but should they also have sent cash?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
No, and that's the "catch" of the guarantee. If they fail to live up to their commitment and you call them on it, they EITHER have to make the situation right (e.g. deliver the gift to your room) OR pay you the compensation. And since the rules say you have to bring it up before checking out, all they have to do is throw a bag of Milanos your way and they're off the hook.

Don't get me wrong--Marriott is my chain of choice--but I think that if a hotel screws up the platinum guarantee in any way, they should not only have to recover from that but also pay a "penalty" of sorts. After all, most locations DO live up to the commitment.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No, and that's the "catch" of the guarantee. If they fail to live up to their commitment and you call them on it, they EITHER have to make the situation right (e.g. deliver the gift to your room) OR pay you the compensation. And since the rules say you have to bring it up before checking out, all they have to do is throw a bag of Milanos your way and they're off the hook.
Actually that's not quite true. The amenity is for an "Arrival gift". One time at a Residence Inn, I informed them the morning after that I did not receive the amenity in the room on the day I checked in. The clerk went got a manager. The manager wrote me a check for $50 and later on the day sent someone to my room with the water and cookie.

I have never been denied the $$. At a Fairfield Inn in Chantilly VA, I called the desk about 2 hours after I checked in about the amenity. Moments later, they sent someone up with the water, cookie and an envelop with $25 in it.

I have criticise Marriott many times but I have to say they have kept this promise.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 4:06 pm

Outstanding! I think the treatment you describe is what SHOULD be the standard policy, but is actually due to some on-the-ball managers. You've been lucky to stay in these kinds of properties!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 5:07 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I stayed at a Marriott this weekend and did not get the platinum amenity. I did not call down. The next day I took my Platinum Card, the book with elite benefit to the front desk and said I did not receive my Platinum Amenity and would like the compensation listed. The same lady who checked me in was there, so she went to the back for less than a minute, came back with a $100 bill, I signed for it, and that was that. No complaint or pushback (and I never did receive the amenity).

Very pleased with my first experience with the guarantee. I do not believe the guarantee requires you to call down to ask for the amenity and the hotel apparently agreed for it. The guarantee is that it's waiting for me (ie the hotel recognizes and prepares for me a Platinum guest) and if they are not prepared, they are willing to pay. Kudos to Marriott for putting their money where their mouth is.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:00 pm

I'm starting to sense that I'm a wimpy pushover...

About 10% of the time my gift is either not offered at the front desk or waiting in my room. When I inquire at the front desk they offer to rectify the situation by getting my amenity, and I'm happy they do. Are you all saying I should more forcefully demand payment as well?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:16 pm

I definitely think you should ask for the $. That's what they promised.

I like CPRich's way of spending the money.

Last edited by laptop9999; Nov 22, 2004 at 6:19 pm
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8M, Marriott PLT, *wood GLD, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by gardener
Or Room Service ate your gift while in your room and tried to flush the evidence down the toilet thus causing it to be clogged...
The image of this occurring is good for a hearty laugh
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I see in the policy it mentions 100/50/25 for the elite benefits guarantee. I am assuming that is full serve/CY/FI or RI?

That would also help the poster from above asking about Courtyards.

I am at the Philly Airport CY tonight and did not receive anything at all. Bad hotel by the way, but not for that reason alone.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by JC5280
I see in the policy it mentions 100/50/25 for the elite benefits guarantee. I am assuming that is full serve/CY/FI or RI?

That would also help the poster from above asking about Courtyards.

I am at the Philly Airport CY tonight and did not receive anything at all. Bad hotel by the way, but not for that reason alone.

Addition to what I posted last night...

Went down to the front desk this morning and explained kindly that I was not offered anything. Without asking, the girl at the front desk took my signature on the form and handed me $50 dollars in cash. Sweet! My rate was barely that amount.

My question now is, how do they track this? There must be some way for them to record who has been compensated, but how would you prove that nothing was offered?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:24 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CPRich
And the $100 just went to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Thanks Marriott.
Bravo! ^ :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.