Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:33 pm

When I stayed at the Springhill Suites in Arcadia CA, I didn't get doodly-squat. I wasn't sure whether they did the plat arrival gift thing, though (in retrospect I should've checked), and I was beat after a transcon so I wasn't really thinking about it.

Oh, well . . . is no gift at all worse than 4 Hershey kisses?
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No gift is lots better that the Hershey kisses -- about $25 or $50 better, in fact.

You march down to the desk in the morning and calmly request your credit for no plat gift. Might be a good idea to have the T&C's printed out, but they'll do it.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

4 Hershey kisses? Oh, my.

These aren't on a par with that - but they are the reason I almost always take points now at full service properties.
  • Renaiisance Sapporo - saltine crackers with cheese
  • Cairo Marriott - nuts that were sliced thinly as though to put on a sundae

Those don't sound as badly written down as they truly were. Both were left uneaten in the room when I checked out.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
No gift is lots better that the Hershey kisses -- about $25 or $50 better, in fact.

You march down to the desk in the morning and calmly request your credit for no plat gift. Might be a good idea to have the T&C's printed out, but they'll do it.
Might be a little late for that . . . the trip to CA was 3 weeks ago
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: Continental Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was hoping beyond hope that the 4 hershey kisses were just a nice-to-have and not the platinum arrival gift. Even asked the front desk this morning to describe what the gift should be, thinking perhaps that a mistake had been made. Would've loved the cash instead!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I stopped taking the gift and now take the points. With the gift, I felt the need to tip whoever brought it to my room (ice cream, for example), and realized this wasn't such a good deal for me anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by michelin
I stopped taking the gift and now take the points. With the gift, I felt the need to tip whoever brought it to my room (ice cream, for example), and realized this wasn't such a good deal for me anymore.
Interesting thing is that many of the hotels I have stayed at indicate on the selection card that gratuity for delivery is provided, or no tipping please...

While not all say that, when it does, I normally do not feel bad, but if it doesn't I definitely tip...

My $0.02
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
My vote goes to the bottled water they give you at CY and FI. I've gotten so much H20 that I've come to the conclusion Bill Marriott is out to have the wettest guests in the industry.

1st Runner up would be the bag of pretzels (often waiting right there with the water). Perhaps Marriott got in on the same deal with Rold Gold that all the airlines seem to have gotten.

2nd Runner up would be trail mix. Nothing says "thanks for the business" quite like an unidentifiable mass in a cellophane bag. Wish I'd have thought of that for my own customers!

I always go for the points at the full serv properties. Here's hoping they extend that (even on a smaller scale) across all the brands. I'd take even 50 points from the Fairfield over a bag of Rold Golds any day!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:50 am

Plat Arrival bonus, but not Plat!

I keep getting Plat arrival bonuses of 500Mr's. I am only Silver though. Why is this? Does this mean that I will be getting the other Plat benefits too?
Anyone else have this unexpected perk?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
I keep getting Plat arrival bonuses of 500Mr's. I am only Silver though. Why is this? Does this mean that I will be getting the other Plat benefits too?
If I were you, I would just enjoy the bonus 500 points and not make a fuzz.
As for other Plat benefits such as lounge access. How/who are you gonna ask? you know those benefits are not yours in the first place.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by GPS123
If I were you, I would just enjoy the bonus 500 points and not make a fuzz.
As for other Plat benefits such as lounge access. How/who are you gonna ask? you know those benefits are not yours in the first place.
OP doesn't necessarily need to ask anyone. He/she could simply see if their room key unlocks the lounge door.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold(Partner), Asia Miles, BAEC Blue, Goldpoint Plus
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
It is an administrative error with the check-in software, it is down to the frontdesk clerk to remove your P/Bonus since you are a silver member.....

U would not be entitled to any lounge access until you reached gold!

)
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
As a Silver member, I have gotten the Platinum gifts at hotels numerous times. No bonus points, ever, though.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Could be a Platinum cancelling the room and you get the gift since they may be too lazy to go get it from the room.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold(Partner), Asia Miles, BAEC Blue, Goldpoint Plus
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Could be a Platinum cancelling the room and you get the gift since they may be too lazy to go get it from the room.
Error made due to inexperience receptionist probably changed your profile or mistaken u for a platinum. dumb!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.