Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Sukhumvit 15 Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Four Points Sukhumvit 15 Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:32 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Instead of leaving luggage at the airport, use the money for the taxi ride both ways. Security of both left luggage and checked luggage at BKK have had integrity issues. Take the cab.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by aterug
We will only have 2 small carry on's with us (leave the rest at the airport). Would you recommend taking the train to Asoka and then walking or taking the taxi ? How much would the taxi be if I use the excellent taxi card given here in this thread ?

thanks!
No need for a taxi from Asok BTS if you only have two small carry-ons. Just take the Robinsons' exit at Asok BTS and come down to the street level and if the 4P tuk tuk is there dropping off guests use it to go to the hotel. Otherwise, make a right on Sukhumvit after exiting Robinsons and another right on Sukhumvit 15 for a total walking distance of around 200 meters. Another way that I used is making a right on Soi 17 immediately after exiting Robinsons and the 4P is at the left of the end of the Soi but it's a bit complicated as construction was still going on at the hotel's underground parking.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dendrite
I was even sent an email about a stay with conformation number that I had never received. The SPG CSO agreed that there was no booking, and got the 4P property to confirm with email. Prompt action to allay my fear that charges may show up in credit card, but how did the boo boo happened in the first place?
I assume this was a reservation made pre-opening. We established in the previous thread, I think, that there is some buggy stuff that sometimes occurred/occurs when reservations move into the live on-site systems when properties open.

We will only have 2 small carry on's with us (leave the rest at the airport). Would you recommend taking the train to Asoka and then walking or taking the taxi ? How much would the taxi be if I use the excellent taxi card given here in this thread ?
The taxi to the WGS which is about 200 meters away runs me about THB 350 including tools and tip.

If you are taking the train to Asoke that means you are taking the airport train to somewhere in the city and then transferring to the BTS. If you are talking the local train I guess that will run you something like THB 10 plus maybe THB 25 or THB 30 for the BTS. So two people would be about THB 70-90. If you were to take a taxi you would want to take it from Nana BTS as the taxi will be in the wrong direction if you try to take at Asoke. That will be another 35 THB. I doubt you'll save much time and it seems like you will save about USD 7 a/i. Not worth it to me.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Thanks for the detailed report.

No big spoon - in Asia? That's not going to go over well. Seriously.

When I think travel to Bangkok, I think, amongst other things, of how great that first shower feels after a 20+ hour flight. Most all hotels have the hottest and strongest pressure imaginable. I'll be dissapointed if this isn't fixed by my stay.

Speaking of stays - is anyone else receiving emails advising them of upcoming stays from the 4pts there were already cancelled? Given the trouble with SPG.com, now I don't trust my stays were actually cancelled.
Yup, that was a few weeks ago though. I had nixed it 6 weeks earlier. They finally figured it out on the phone & restored my starpoints. wj
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Just returned from a short stay at this hotel (just to check it out). As many of you have pointed out, it's a hotel that focuses its strength on its hard product rather than the soft. Overall, it's a great value at a very convenient location with friendly staff. It is still rough around the edges, however, especially around breakfast and for the benefit of Janet and her team I will discuss them here.

2. During breakfast I was going to get some congee and I burned my right hand cos the handle to lift open the top was burning hot!! Not a severe burn, but enough to annoy me for two days. If the congee is going to be boiled throughout, the handle needs to at least be covered with some sort of cloth to prevent burns. I told this to one of the staff who quickly went and covered the handle with white cloth (she too seemed surprised at how hot it was). This needs to be done everyday to all handles that can get hot. To me, this should have been picked up by the restaurant management.

3. The cafe latte I ordered during breakfast was more like espresso with a spoonful of milk in it. I asked for another one with more milk and they brought another, this time with maybe three spoonfuls of milk in it. Yes I am exaggerating, but it would be good to have the staff be trained in making good coffee - as for many ppl it is a very important part of breakfast (IMHE LM BKK makes the best morning coffee in Thailand, if not Asia). I did not push to have another one be made for me, as I felt bad.

4. No music playing in the background during breakfast. Not that I listen to background music but the restaurant felt very empty without any sound in the background except for the clanking of forks and knives of the four guests that were eating at the time (but no Kenny G please).

5. I noticed that there were no spoons set up on the tables (nor chopsticks), only forks and knives when there were plenty soupy dishes for breakfast. When I asked for one, it took the staff a while to get them (we were one of the four guests in the entire restaurant). To minimize this hassle, I would suggest setting up some spoons on the tables.

6. Water pressure in the shower felt fairly weak. Maybe this is because I am used to the sort of pressure at PA where you literally get pushed forward I know this is not something that can be fixed easily, but I would find it a lot easier to return to this hotel if the water pressure had a bit more power to it.

7. I found the staff at the front desk extremely friendly, but the other staff (i.e. at the eatery) not as friendly. I said 'thank you' on at least half a dozen occasions (for everytime they brought me coffee, spoon, equal etc) but not once was I given a 'you are welcome' - they just walked off. I don't think it was ill-intended (or a big deal, for that matter) but given the hotel will be competing with other 4-5 star hotels in the area, it would be nice to have all of its staff be more courteous (not just the front desk who were very friendly: hats off to May who checked us in).
I guess it's true when they say YMMV as our experience with the staff was totally different than yours!

During our 3-night stay, we had great attentive and personable service by the staff at the Eatery that met our every need at breakfast. Even if something was lacking, after a quick request, it was either corrected immediately or at the next breakfast. Example, no boiled rice for Khaotom and after a request it was available daily. ^^^

It was a different matter at check-in. I checked in and was alone in Que on the afternoon of Dec 2nd as there were 3 staffers (2 females & a male) at the FD. One female was busy with a guest, the other two's heads were down and eyes affixed at their computer terminals. They did not acknowledge me even after many ahems and this went on for about 5 minutes. Then a loud Japanese man with his girlfriend de jour who was bragging about his platinum status cuts right in front of me and he is helped immediately by the second female FD clerk. In frustration, I throw my hands up in the air. The bell-boy (a very nice & attentive Thai Indian fellow) was watching as a situation was developing and he rushed to the third FD clerk (the male one) and he spoke to him in Thai pointing at me. Although I did not catch the jest of the conversation, by observing their facial expressions, the bell boy got chastised by the male FD clerk. By then the first female FD clerk was available and she helped me. This was very disappointing to say the least. Not paying attention at who is in front of them and then not acknowledging a guest even after being alerted by a co-worker is not acceptable and disappointing first impression to say the least. What could been so important that they ignored my presence ... maybe they didn't hear me! AFAIK the primary function of the FD clerk is to check guests into the hotel and that they are the front line that should portray a positive image of the property. But this was lacking here at every level.

As for the shower's water pressure, it was great and we had no issues with it. ^
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The taxi to the WGS which is about 200 meters away runs me about THB 350 including tools and tip.
Carrying a lot of tools in and out of BKK these days?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
One female was busy with a guest, the other two's heads were down and eyes affixed at their computer terminals. They did not acknowledge me even after many ahems and this went on for about 5 minutes. ... AFAIK the primary function of the FD clerk is to check guests into the hotel and that they are the front line that should portray a positive image of the property. But this was lacking here at every level.
Exactly. While, as you probably know, I tend to give hotel staff the benefit of the doubt, this was clearly unacceptable. My cousin always had a sign above his desk (he owned the company) which said, "A customer is not an interruption of our work, he is the reason for it."
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yosithezet

I guess I had misspoken, I was inquiring about cab fare from the airport to the 4 points. I think we will take the taxi down and back. Only question is, since we are going to phuket for 2 days in between, we do not need to carry the big luggage with us. Do you think the hotel will hold it for us here ?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only question is, since we are going to phuket for 2 days in between, we do not need to carry the big luggage with us. Do you think the hotel will hold it for us here ?
Yes- absolutely no problem.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I had misspoken, I was inquiring about cab fare from the airport to the 4 points. I think we will take the taxi down and back. Only question is, since we are going to phuket for 2 days in between, we do not need to carry the big luggage with us. Do you think the hotel will hold it for us here ?
There was no confusion. Yosithezet was saying that the taxi fare form the airport to the WGS, which is only about 200 meters from the 4P, was around THB 350. I haven't been to the 4P yet, but I imagine that the hotel will hold your luggage. Most, if not all, hotels do. You might consider sending them an e-mail in advance so you'll have the opportunity to make other arrangements if necessary.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT
I just checked into this hotel yesterday! I was very excited with all the pre-opening discussions, but I am actually a bit disappointed. The hotel has only 8 suites available for Platinum upgrades. They are all taken by people who paid for them, hence no availability for upgrade... This is fine, but the problem is that the basic rooms are so tiny! Besides the desk chair, there is no space for even a regular chair to fit into the room!

There are also some operational/service issues that still need to be ironed out. Here has been my experiences:
(1) I asked for 5 additional hangers and to give 2 shirts for pressing... I had to wait 45 minutes and got only 3 hangars, was told I'll get more soon (never did), and when I tried to give my shirts, he wouldn't take them and didn't understand why I was trying to hand him my shirts for pressing (he didn't understand English).
(2) When talking to a hotel employee, he kindly asked if I already had dinner. I said I did, and then he said jokingly, "Dinner make you fat!" and pointed to my stomach, which was slightly pushing through my shirt. I'm sorry but I REALLY do NOT need to be called fat by a hotel employee! I just consider this to be extremely unprofessional, and just RUDE! I know he was just trying to joke, but I did not find it funny. I sort of just laughed it off in his presence, but I find it rude!

Other issues:
(1) There was an ant walking around the bathroom sink.
(2) The internet cable is not working so have to use wifi, which is not very strong. I mentioned to the hotel that the cable isn't working but they don't seem to understand the problem or maybe don't know what to do about it?
(3) The fitness center is on the 8th floor but there is no bathroom there, so need to go to the lobby for the nearest bathroom from the fitness center.

Overall, this is a fine 3-4 star hotel. For $65/night, it is about on par with the other hotels, but for $90/night I think you can do better, especially with most hotels here giving free breakfast to all, not just Platinums. I think this hotel just needs some polishing up, but I still can't get over that an employee thought it's ok to call me fat... FYI this employee is a Manager at the hotel!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by carberrie
... I was very excited with all the pre-opening discussions, but I am actually a bit disappointed. The hotel has only 8 suites available for Platinum upgrades. They are all taken by people who paid for them, hence no availability for upgrade... This is fine, but the problem is that the basic rooms are so tiny! Besides the desk chair, there is no space for even a regular chair to fit into the room!
Sorry to hear about your troubles ... you must have gotten # 403 or similar-size room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5228478628/

Even when considering the cultural differences (as calling someone pompui is not really offensive in Thailand), hospitality employees who on the most part interact with foreigners must adhere to a certain professional code of conduct and be trained on what's sensitive for the guests' cultures.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: NH*G, Marriott Platinum
First and Last Stay

Originally Posted by carberrie
I just checked into this hotel yesterday! I was very excited with all the pre-opening discussions, but I am actually a bit disappointed.
Couldn't agree more on this comment after having just stayed 2 nights with my wife at this property.

Check-In was a disaster with a friendly but totally clueless guy: had booked the more expensive deluxe room with balcony and was told that they only have comfort rooms without balcony as they changed the whole concept and do not have rooms with balcony. Took a look at 3 different rooms and ended up in 5th floor, with a "beautiful" view on very old, run-down houses towards the Westin.

Room itself is surely nice and brandnew, however soundproof is really an issue as I could hear the TV, etc. from neighbour room...

Breakfast: showed there up at 9:45 (busy time, I know), and took over 10 mins to allocate us a table. If you see the small dimensions of the restaurant, I am sure this will happen very often, especially if the hotel runs full capacity and furthermore opens the other 2 floors which are still under construction as I was told. Quality and quantity of breakfast is average for my understanding and if it is really true that they charge same price like PA, Sheraton, etc. not justified at all.

Pool: really like to read and relax at the pool when on holiday, but not possible there due to the really loud music they play with speakers just about a meter away from two of the very nice round loungers. Left after 10 mins...

Staff: overall young and friendly, especially in the really cool beer pub.

Overall, I will not return there, especially since you can get same / better local hotels for less, or much better / high-end properties for only a bit more.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I checked out today after a 3 night stay. Overall a good value as Platinum when paying the 1900 Baht rate. However, I would go elsewhere if the difference between the alternative is less than 20-30%.

Pluses:
  • New room with furnishing of a higher quality than the usual Four Points. Physically its the best Four Points I've stayed at. Good shower for a hotel in that category.
  • Free breakfast as Platinum
  • Free drinks in the bar in the evening - I forget the times as we only took advantage once
  • Helpful concierge but had a poor handle on English (but I'm in a non English speaking country so thats forgiven).

Minuses:
  • Clueless staff who speak very poor english (I realize its a second language for them but staff at other hotels seem to do just fine)
  • Platinum concierge had made a note of an early check-in on my reservation (flight got in at 5 AM) but also noted that the early check-in was not guaranteed. The front desk took the "guarantee" to mean that I agreed to pay for the previous night to secure early check-in. Eventually I had to settle on paying half the room rate to check-in early, which is fine but just call it an early check-in fee
  • Nasty "oily" smell in the corridors around the rooms - it doesn't smell like room freshner
  • At breakfast had to keep asking for refills on coffee/tea rather than the staff noticing
  • Check-out took very long and I do not know why (I had nothing on the bill other than charge for the room). The agent kept fumbling as if he was very nervous.

I'd come back if paying around 1,900 Baht and will go to the Westin/Sheraton if rates are higher.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, marriott plat
Talking

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Absolutemente ! Just spent 5 nites here and loved the place. Canceled award booking and I got in on that Ebookers 60chf off deal and was paying $10/nite. Don't think I'd pay more than 2500 though. Lotsa nice options 2000-2500 in BKK these days and more coming online all the time. It'll be interesting to see what the Aloft on 11 looks like. I'm seeing a jazzed up Citadines. Doubt there'll be a 30 page thread on it though. wj
I stayed there three times this month coming and going from BKK. It is nice, but has some small problems: tapping noise in some rooms and hallways on 2 and third floors. Maint staff could not figure out what was causing it. Reception staff is hit or miss. Day shift very nice and profesional. Night shift and early morning, not so much. Delays in getting the bill paid. Has problems with internet access. Had to call the front desk and get a new pass word each time I stayed. System would not accept my room number and name. Odd.

I would not pay more than 2500 Baht. Too many other nice places to stay. Exception might be if you are Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.