Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Happy
All the UPS guys KNOW what these packages are. The local UPS depot dispatch folks know, too. However it seems no one works for UPS is willing to risk their jobs and clean records to steal these.
Don't know if I agree about ALL UPS knowing. Particularly in my area, there is so much volume. Regardless, UPS tracks the boxes and weight via their machines at each process point. It's USPS which is who gets the boxes from Fedex where its a bit looser in their tracking processes and makes this very opportunistic (and unfortunate)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Don't know if I agree about ALL UPS knowing. Particularly in my area, there is so much volume. Regardless, UPS tracks the boxes and weight via their machines at each process point. It's USPS which is who gets the boxes from Fedex where its a bit looser in their tracking processes and makes this very opportunistic (and unfortunate)
Yes they know. I have occasions talk to the local dispatch office. They sometimes slipped and used US Mint instead of PBHG as the shipper. They know what the contents are but they also know there is very little chance they could get away with it should the content is stolen or shorted with the look of being tampered, precisely as you cited, the packages are tracked all the way and it can easily pinpoint where the package is tampered, on what shift and handled by whom.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:08 pm

In the stolen coin case, I would definitely report the stealing to the Post Master and the Police, as well as inform the Mint of what happened. No way I would eat the $250 like Miami305 suggested. It is a matter of principle that one needs to stand up for.
There's no way I'll 'eat' the $250, it's a matter of claiming the shipment never received via USPS or slogging away at countless hours in a he-said-she-said debate with USPS/US Mint in claiming my shipment was tampered with. I'd prefer the former, unless there's a ethical and non-time consuming alternative
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
In the stolen coin case, I would definitely report the stealing to the Post Master and the Police, as well as inform the Mint of what happened. No way I would eat the $250 like Miami305 suggested. It is a matter of principle that one needs to stand up for.
I would also report it. That's the best way to put a stop to it. Who knows how much else the theif has stolen from customers that hasn't been reported.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:30 pm

once i have received 250 less and after i have reported it i got credit right away
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would also report it. That's the best way to put a stop to it. Who knows how much else the theif has stolen from customers that hasn't been reported.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Yes they know. I have occasions talk to the local dispatch office. They sometimes slipped and used US Mint instead of PBHG as the shipper. They know what the contents are but they also know there is very little chance they could get away with it should the content is stolen or shorted with the look of being tampered, precisely as you cited, the packages are tracked all the way and it can easily pinpoint where the package is tampered, on what shift and handled by whom.
I don't disagree that some know what is in them, although I'm fairly sure that mine doesn't because he has occasionally left them on the porch and signed for them himself.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ordua
once i have received 250 less and after i have reported it i got credit right away
Thanks ordua, I've filled out the CNR form and spoke to a CSR who just verified the investigation process. Would you recommend enclosing a few snapshots of the torn/tampered with box?

With the replacement/refund process so streamlined, what's to prevent fraudulent claims left and right? FedEx/USPS/my mailman delivers countless packages every day, I can't imagine anyone providing helpful information for the investigators...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Seems Miami305 will send the hassled poster the $250 him or herself because if it's really no problem for Miami305 to lose that kind of money, then Miami305 can obviously part with it instead?

curious
MM this does not happen often but you might have missed the point. Everyone needs to decide if the trouble is worth it. Some are doing enough volume and feel the 250 is not worth it especially if they are using a 5% card.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
MM this does not happen often but you might have missed the point. Everyone needs to decide if the trouble is worth it. Some are doing enough volume and feel the 250 is not worth it especially if they are using a 5% card.
You are correct it does not happen often but it's still a pain if it does and I dunno how exactly I would react even THOUGH I have done rather well up to this point (but do not have a 5% card and would love to see a current working link to obtain one, more than just babble about one existing that cannot in fact be found).

Anyway, the 'feel' of that post came to me as though it were from someone who had NOT ordered a billion of these like many others here, but then again how could we know unless that poster tells us their frequency. The fact it was posted tells me it matters to them. If not, they may not have ever bothered to bring it up in here because they know better.

Originally Posted by freeloader
no, i agree... out of principle, i've wasted a ridiculous amount of time for immaterial amounts of points. so i can respect that. and maybe if it was me, i'd fight it.

my only point was that i can see how people wouldn't fight it... and that the importance is to only ship coins where signature IS required. everyone must protect themselves.

unrelatedly, i love your posts in this thread. it makes reading the 13k+ posts bearable

Firstly, than you for the final comment in your post. I enjoy sharing what I know and trying to put a twist on things or add some different approach. We all must remember: our very use of the mint to get miles IS 'out of the box' thinking so all i do is 'BE' out of the box in here! I am glad to see people sometimes enjoy that.

As to the other points, yeah, I find myself sometimes fighting for a mile longer than it takes to make up its worth. I'll never forget a time I fought for 100 miles on NWA for some promo and it took like 3 mailings and a few phone calls to finally get it. I mean... THAT was too much. But it did post and I'd like to think I either helped many others NOT have the problem I had or that NWA fixed the issue going forward. I may have been wrong on both accounts but isnt ALL of this about what WE feel inside for doing it all?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one more other thing that I just thought of:

I once worked in this factory when I was 17 as a part time job in the stock room.

There was this seedy guy who worked there for years and he one day went around borrowing like $50 from people he knew. Then the next day he was gone. Vanished. Over. Done.

Well, they say he blew town with about a grand and everyone had believed he would come in to pay him back but he was planning this all along. He built up their trust and left.

the point of this is that right now there COULD be some cat at UPS that has worked there a while and does know what these boxes contain so he figures... well if I can snag 1 $250 box out of like 40 of these over the next couple days I can bolt outta here!

I am talkin smack but hey, it IS possible, right?

The problem is that once this kind of thing happens, it ruins it for us. That's because now UPS will find out about it, find the guy, fire him or have him arrested, change policy, tell the mint, the mint changes policy, finds its reason to change the program and we are all fecked.

Again, I am just talkin smack here but it IS possible.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:38 am

You are correct it does not happen often but it's still a pain if it does and I dunno how exactly I would react even THOUGH I have done rather well up to this point (but do not have a 5% card and would love to see a current working link to obtain one, more than just babble about one existing that cannot in fact be found).
Chase AARP card, yes it is only for 6 months. As you well know that 5% can be turned into 6 - 7%.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase AARP card, yes it is only for 6 months. As you well know that 5% can be turned into 6 - 7%.
thanks mate
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:43 am

Again, I am just talkin smack here but it IS possible.
Sir I believe you smoked something not good. If I would be employee at UPS and about to quit and wanted to steal something I would steal A LOT more.

Any of you know the story that happened about 10 years ago or so in Amsterdam or somewhere in Europe. There was a guy who worked at loading, unloading cash to the plane to be sent to different countries. So he worked there for 15 years and everybody trusted him. He knew all the schedules and everything so one day he stole like 15 million Euro and vanished
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:50 am

thanks mate
NP, just keep it between us. I don’t want you know who to find out.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by element7
Sir I believe you smoked something not good. If I would be employee at UPS and about to quit and wanted to steal something I would steal A LOT more.

Any of you know the story that happened about 10 years ago or so in Amsterdam or somewhere in Europe. There was a guy who worked at loading, unloading cash to the plane to be sent to different countries. So he worked there for 15 years and everybody trusted him. He knew all the schedules and everything so one day he stole like 15 million Euro and vanished
lol well let's just say that when I typed that I had just changed my 2.5 year old son's diaper so the smell----

anyway I wasnt going to mention that but I bet it was stronger than whatever they have in Amsterdam or somewhere in Europe

Alls I was saying is that it is possible for someone to try to make off with 10-20k in small boxed free coins because, well, money is money, eh?

NP, just keep it between us. I don’t want you know who to find out.
ohh yeah.... THEM hahaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.