Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by FTnoob101
Thanks - the other bounced.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:39 pm

it works for me today
Originally Posted by Happy
I am surprised by nobody posting that the Track Order function is not working.

In the url it shows

http://catalog.usmint.gov:443/webapp...tores/servlet/Logoff?cf=err

Even on Shipped Order - it just shows a blank page.

I vaguely remember it has this happened before.

Mint's authorization system is out of whack again. I was caught at a down moment yesterday - one card was not authorized at all but the one before and the one after went fine.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Since you seem to be asserting some legal knowledge, might I ask what law is being violated? Is this considered a Misdemeanor? Or perhaps a felony?

Might I also ask what sentencing one would face if prosecuted and found guilty, and for that matter for what law would they be prosecuted for breaking?

It seems that immediately depositing the coins in the bank would be in violation with the intended purpose of the program. I don't see the program being the same as federal law. So the risk then, is to be banned from participating in the program.

But, again, if I'm wrong, I'd be quite curious to see any example of criminal (or civil) prosecution for not complying with the intended purpose of the program, and of course more interesting than that would be to see an example of a conviction.

First, let me say that I doubt anyone will get prosecuted for this. All things considered it seems like relatively minor stuff.

The issue isn't just the failure to comply with the intended purpose of the program. In buying the coins one affirmatively agrees to comply with the purpose, while arguably having no intent to do so. A material, knowlingly false statement to a government agency is a felony. 18 USC 1001. I don't know the precise legal status of the US Mint within the government, but this seems to fit. Bottom line -- making a false statement to the gov't to get something is a risky endeavor. (And also kind of wrong, no?).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:27 pm

The ethics have already been debated to death. Please refer to the previous zillion posts.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
Does anyone know how long it takes for SPG AMEX points to show up on my SPG account after the purchase?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by buzz4fly
Does anyone know how long it takes for SPG AMEX points to show up on my SPG account after the purchase?
If the SPG works like all my other Am Ex rewards cards, they won't post until after your statement closes. My hilton points always hit my Hilton account the day after my Am Ex satement closes, and Delta is one to two days after, so you should have the points within a couple days of your am ex statement closing.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:41 am

thanks for the pointer. I've never thought about doing anything with coins.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
Strange order status

I put my order last Sunday and I've noticed that I did not receive the usual confirmation email. So, I logged into my account and checked the order status, which showed "SUSPENDED". I've never encountered suspended orders before, so I decided to wait it out instead of calling customer service. On Monday the order disappeared all together. No trace of it. So, I put another order that wend from "on hold" to "being processed" without any hiccups. Did anyone have anything similar happening to their orders before?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:57 am

I've seen couple of "suspended" orders myself. But they did not disappear for me. My belief is, for any reason if mint can't run your CC transaction as they expect it to be, they put your order in suspended state. While order is in suspended state you will neither receive usual "order receipt" email nor have card authorization. In my instances, I got card authorization in minutes to few hours. Received the order receipt email and order went to usual "on hold" state.

I put my order last Sunday and I've noticed that I did not receive the usual confirmation email. So, I logged into my account and checked the order status, which showed "SUSPENDED". I've never encountered suspended orders before, so I decided to wait it out instead of calling customer service. On Monday the order disappeared all together. No trace of it. So, I put another order that wend from "on hold" to "being processed" without any hiccups. Did anyone have anything similar happening to their orders before?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
FireFox

This happened to me while I was using FireFox. I waited a couple of days and. sure enough, the order "disappeared.
I than put the order in while using Internet Explorer. It went through fine.
I've had several other issues using FireFox on secure sites while ordering with a CC. It may have something to do with the settings I have on, but I won't bother checking since it's easier just to use another browser.

YMMV.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DCfree
First, let me say that I doubt anyone will get prosecuted for this. All things considered it seems like relatively minor stuff.

The issue isn't just the failure to comply with the intended purpose of the program. In buying the coins one affirmatively agrees to comply with the purpose, while arguably having no intent to do so. A material, knowlingly false statement to a government agency is a felony. 18 USC 1001. I don't know the precise legal status of the US Mint within the government, but this seems to fit. Bottom line -- making a false statement to the gov't to get something is a risky endeavor. (And also kind of wrong, no?).
The idea of being prosecuted for returning these coins to a bank is too implausible to be considered. It's more likely you'll be killed in a meteor impact.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
The idea of being prosecuted for returning these coins to a bank is too implausible to be considered. It's more likely you'll be killed in a meteor impact.
~ 1 in 700,000 chance in being killed by space debris. Taking the high number of Mint orders, maybe you should say you would be more likely to win the lottery?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:27 pm

Curious

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
~ 1 in 700,000 chance in being killed by space debris. Taking the high number of Mint orders, maybe you should say you would be more likely to win the lottery?
Just wondering what you mean. Are one out of every 700000 deaths caused by space debris? Or do you mean the potential catastrophe of a large meteor/comet/asteroid/other collision would average out to your number.
I don't recall ever hearing about someone being killed by space debris. Of course there was a lot of hoopla when SkyLab came down!
What's the death rate of being sent to Omni?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Just wondering what you mean. Are one out of every 700000 deaths caused by space debris? Or do you mean the potential catastrophe of a large meteor/comet/asteroid/other collision would average out to your number.
I don't recall ever hearing about someone being killed by space debris. Of course there was a lot of hoopla when SkyLab came down!
What's the death rate of being sent to Omni?
Quick google search: http://www.dba-oracle.com/news_meteo...hit_people.htm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:58 pm

Do you guys know if its standard to not have to sign for the package?

I just got my first package $250 coins stolen. Box was empty... with a slit but taped up. ......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.