Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by FTnoob101
MM might be the most annoying person on this forum.
I would NEVER say this.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by wise2u
your right its a constant case of the smarta$$es teasing the dumba$$es with vague deals....If I had a $2 bill for everytime someone fell for thier bunk, I'd have enough to take a picture like mrpickles has shown here many times.
The $2 bill pictures were not posted by me, but yes you would be rich.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
The $2 bill pictures were not posted by me, but yes you would be rich.
...but he/she would be a lot richer if he/she could read between the lines. You of all people should know that.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
If we're seeing this in mid February, what kind of posts are we going to see on 1 April???

If anyone has had their bank account closed due to "excessive" coin deposits, I'd like to see those banks posted (bank and branch/area). It wouldn't hurt for members to have a potential heads up.

I gotta think that if someone was money laundering, they'd work with bills not coins, but what do I know about it. Bills are obviously easier and after their first resistance at the bank they'd want to reduce hastle and suspicion.

If a bank doesn't want to be hassled with coins, they could give you any excuse.
I made two posts last week about things of this nature. One spoke of a bank that did in fact close my account and I will post the details once I receive them. I think it had to do with multiple/large coin deposits.

The bank was SalemFive, which is a Boston and northern MA bank chain that is not very large. They have some branches with coin machines and one has a sign saying, "cash in thousands of your coins here --free for account holders!" so that's what I often did.

Again, I am waiting for exact reasons why but as far as I know no negative action was taken against me (SAR, CTR, etc), just a bank account closure with my deposited funds on their way to me by mail (probably a cashier's check, which is ironic).

The other post I made was supposed to be for entertainment value only and I am happy that most of you figured that out. For those that had not, the problem is not my own. The thing is, however, that everything IN that post has in fact happen to at least one person in here. Everything mentioned was taken from actual accounts from others who do coins or related activity and have run into problems over time. All my post did was jest that it all could happen to one person.

I was away this past few days on a trip and have caught up in this thread now.

It was interesting to read what people have to say in here. Many of you are like me--just trying to enjoy the world of getting miles and points. Some of you, sadly, do need to get a life.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Some of you, sadly, do need to get a life.
lol
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
lol
Your lol is funnier. As if some debonair dude in the President's Club Room is just quietly lauging and capitalizing off of MM's frustration.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
. . . The other post I made was supposed to be for entertainment value only . . .
And I might add it was very entertaining!
Damn near the only worthwhile reason to read this thread anymore.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FTnoob101
Yeah spread the word, lol heard Amex stopes too
Did you mean to write Am Ex no longer awards points for coin purchases?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scwam
Your lol is funnier. As if some debonair dude in the President's Club Room is just quietly lauging and capitalizing off of MM's frustration.
am not even frustrated.
just rolling my eyes that's all
dont worry

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
And I might add it was very entertaining!
Damn near the only worthwhile reason to read this thread anymore.
yes, it's all we have left innit?

Originally Posted by elkhornne
amex is fine
just be careful with them
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by elkhornne
Still getting points on my Hilton Am Ex here and the purchases are still counting towards the $40K spend for Diamond status.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Then they asked why my dog and cat were auth users.
That's easy. Sparky likes to buy a fresh rawhide bone every day to chew on. Fluffy eats fresh tuna flown in direct daily (flown in for the Skypesos, you know).
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by darwin76
That way of thinking presents a false choice. There are other options besides (1) money totally inaccessible to the blind, and (2) differently sized bills.

What about texture, tactile patterns, or raised bumps?

See, we can accommodate the blind without having to force a massive inconvenience on the vast majority of the population who has to put up with the stuff.

It'd be interesting to know how much hard cost is generated by missized currency, both through increased printing complexity, as well as bills wearing out too soon when the edges become torn.

When bills are evenly sized, there is no weak point around the outer edge to receive the brunt of the wear and tear. When bills are differently sized, the edges of the largest bill wear quickly in pockets or equipment.

The costs borne by those using cash acceptance and handling equipment is also extremely high. In fact, in the US, a federal judge has already ordered currency to be printed in different sizes for ADA compliance, but that order was stayed solely on the basis of the unreasonable burden to the vending and banking industries who have to handle the stuff.

The headaches are there, we just don't hear about them. Nobody is taking to the streets to protest grotesquely mismatched sizes in currency. Anybody with a serious hatred of the stuff has probably switched to credit/debit, while everyone else just puts up with this nuisance just like all the others, from rotten service and waiting at the DMV, to hideously complex tax forms.

Of course, many of the politicians don't care how inconvenient cash becomes. A good number of them have been bought off by the banks and card networks, while a sizable portion of the remainder is fantasizing over a closely monitored cashless society.
Wow.

Just, wow.

"[People]...with a serious hatred of the stuff has probably switched to credit/debit, while everyone else just puts up with this nuisance just like all the others, from rotten service and waiting at the DMV, to hideously complex tax forms."

Really? Wow.

Differently sized currency is a plot by the national banking cartel to force us into a cashless society because we all hate the different sizes so much?

Wow.

This thread keeps getting more bizarre by the day.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBisch
That's easy. Sparky likes to buy a fresh rawhide bone every day to chew on. Fluffy eats fresh tuna flown in direct daily (flown in for the Skypesos, you know).
well I suppose if you tell AMEX it was for the skypesos they would say ok to it out of sympathy... as a courtesy, just this once, sir.

but are the skypesos different sizes?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
but are the skypesos different sizes?
Gosh no, nothing produced by Delta could ever be one-size fits all... except for their seats. As far as what sizes, that really depends on the class of your Skypesos...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for more entertainment value

Last week I was bringing in a box of coins to a bank and when I left I turned around in this lot where I saw this sign posted. I kid you not:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.