Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:29 pm

Might it be worth contacting our Congressmen and pushing for a $2 coin, to "save on printing costs"?

With all this budget cutting going on right now we might be able to get a $2 coin started, seeing as 2 currency unit coins are popular in Canada and Europe, and the long term cost savings of coins could be used in deficit reduction talking points.

$2 coins would double the deal.

As long as the paper bills are circulating, nobody really wants these coins, which is why the direct ship will go on so long as the Mint can pretend it isn't being milked. As a government bureaucracy, it should be able to keep its head in the sand practically forever.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:38 pm
xp0

$2 direct ship coin would be nice!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by darwin76
Might it be worth contacting our Congressmen and pushing for a $2 coin, to "save on printing costs"?

With all this budget cutting going on right now we might be able to get a $2 coin started, seeing as 2 currency unit coins are popular in Canada and Europe, and the long term cost savings of coins could be used in deficit reduction talking points.

$2 coins would double the deal.

As long as the paper bills are circulating, nobody really wants these coins, which is why the direct ship will go on so long as the Mint can pretend it isn't being milked. As a government bureaucracy, it should be able to keep its head in the sand practically forever.
The cost to the mint for each coin is about 10 cents. Wish someone would milk me like that.

Mint's doing fine.

$2 equivalent coins that are brass with outer circles of silver are common and very popular in Europe and Canada.

We had to get original and invent a design that looks identical to a quarter causing people to hate them. Of course it helps us as we're the only people the Mint can dump them through.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by tassojunior
We had to get original and invent a design that looks identical to a quarter causing people to hate them. Of course it helps us as we're the only people the Mint can dump them through.
That was the biggest complaint with the Susan B Anthony Dollar. I guess the government didn't learn their lesson after that mistake.

I like the design of the canada loonie and toonie (sp). They are very easy to distinguish from other coins. I like how paper currency in many other countries is in different sizes and colors as well.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:59 pm

Different sized currency is an extreme headache, causing massive inconvenience for everyone from users of money clips to those who have to design currency acceptance and counting equipment. The idea seems novel, but after having to put up with it you might change your mind, fast.

As for the design of our hypothetical coin, might I suggest an airplane on one side and the Visa logo on the other. We'll issue it in a denomination of $2/2mi and substitute "In God We Trust" with "For Deposit Only."

Just kidding, of course.

Really, though, I don't see why we couldn't use a $2 coin to commemorate someone like MLK who doesn't fit with presidents on bills or presidents on dollar coins. If they can make a Sacajawea coin, they better be able to find space somewhere for MLK.

An MLK coin might be popular enough with the public to actually be used enthusiastically, which we won't see with dollar presidents until we get up to Reagan.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by dweick
The US Mint is currently evaluating how to implement more controls on people bypassing the ordering limits. They are doing so because people have imprudently bragged about bypassing those limits on public forums and in seminars. This imprudence led to the demise of the use of American Express gift cards, which were very useful even for people abiding by the US Mint's rules, and will almost certainly lead to the demise of the other useful means of ordering coins for their intended purpose.

Keep up the good work, one of the ideas they are considering is simply shutting down the public ordering of the $1 coins because of the rampant abuse and the costs that is imposing on the US Mint (increased call volume and many fraudulent ordering schemes).
Two weeks later, even more coins to choose from, coins currently being shipped out on time.... Only person on here currently cut off is Marathon Man! Reading your posts could be considered to many like reading the National Enquirer... out of chance.. eventually one of their stories could be "close" to being correct.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Two weeks later, even more coins to choose from, coins currently being shipped out on time.... Only person on here currently cut off is Marathon Man! Reading your posts could be considered to many like reading the National Enquirer... out of chance.. eventually one of their stories could be "close" to being correct.
I think dweick is just jealous of the people who can place multiple orders. He tried to spread fears and get people to order as much as they can, thus overloading the Mint causing them to possibly shut down.

What a evil SOB!!!!

Dont listen to dweick guys!!!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by darwin76
Different sized currency is an extreme headache, causing massive inconvenience for everyone from users of money clips to those who have to design currency acceptance and counting equipment. The idea seems novel, but after having to put up with it you might change your mind, fast.
Tongue in cheek, right?

What about the blind? Is it inconvenient for them?

Color and size variations of currency, as well as other security features, seem to be pretty consistently implemented throughout most of the world without too many "headaches".
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Yes, I get the feeling MM talks a bit too much...draws let's say a tad bi too much attention to himself...maybe he's a bit too loud or overly descriptive (about what he's doing with the coins) when he walks into the bank...if you know what I mean.

The mint doesn't really care about the 1k/10 day limit. It seems to be in place just to humor the credit card companies. If they are "implementing" any new policies it is most likely due to bank pressure, not any new found animosity towards America's independent $1 coin circulators and distributors...
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Yes, I get the feeling MM talks a bit too much...draws let's say a tad bi too much attention to himself...maybe he's a bit too loud or overly descriptive (about what he's doing with the coins) when he walks into the bank...if you know what I mean.
But, I like his posts. So, there!^
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:06 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by QL_714
Look on the bright side. Somebody might feel sorry for you and show you how to get over 11% on Amex GC's!
damn this kid got screweddd
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Originally Posted by elkhornne
But, I like his posts. So, there!^
MM might be the most annoying person on this forum.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:31 pm

Tongue in cheek, right?
No, it wasn't.

What about the blind? Is it inconvenient for them?
That way of thinking presents a false choice. There are other options besides (1) money totally inaccessible to the blind, and (2) differently sized bills.

What about texture, tactile patterns, or raised bumps?

See, we can accommodate the blind without having to force a massive inconvenience on the vast majority of the population who has to put up with the stuff.

It'd be interesting to know how much hard cost is generated by missized currency, both through increased printing complexity, as well as bills wearing out too soon when the edges become torn.

When bills are evenly sized, there is no weak point around the outer edge to receive the brunt of the wear and tear. When bills are differently sized, the edges of the largest bill wear quickly in pockets or equipment.

The costs borne by those using cash acceptance and handling equipment is also extremely high. In fact, in the US, a federal judge has already ordered currency to be printed in different sizes for ADA compliance, but that order was stayed solely on the basis of the unreasonable burden to the vending and banking industries who have to handle the stuff.

Color and size variations of currency, as well as other security features, seem to be pretty consistently implemented throughout most of the world without too many "headaches".
The headaches are there, we just don't hear about them. Nobody is taking to the streets to protest grotesquely mismatched sizes in currency. Anybody with a serious hatred of the stuff has probably switched to credit/debit, while everyone else just puts up with this nuisance just like all the others, from rotten service and waiting at the DMV, to hideously complex tax forms.

Of course, many of the politicians don't care how inconvenient cash becomes. A good number of them have been bought off by the banks and card networks, while a sizable portion of the remainder is fantasizing over a closely monitored cashless society.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
I did my first order for 1000 and citibank took them all but now I have read that CHASE won't credit miles so I may be out of luck.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
I did my first order for 1000 and citibank took them all but now I have read that CHASE won't credit miles so I may be out of luck.
Yeah spread the word, lol heard Amex stopes too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.