Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
If you don't mind drawing a little attention to yourself, use a dolly.

The efficiency is there, and no visits to the doctor for me so far.
How do you use a dolly to feed the coin machine?

I believe xyzzy meant to lift the bucketful of coins to feed the coin machine...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by IcHot
How people folks actually put these coins into circulation? I've put several boxes into the economy for purchases.
Any purchase under ten dollars I'll use coins. So basically at fast-food drive-thrus, convience stores, and bars. I just burned over 200K of OnePass miles in the past year so I'm not so totally desperate for new miles at the moment that I have to use my CC for absolutly everything.

Even though I'm trying to flood my city with the coins, I don't think that many cashiers give them back as change. I'm sure most get tired of having thier customers accuse them of not giving them the correct amount that it's not worth the headache. However most younger cashiers like the shiney new coins and will keep a couple for themselves, however there's a generation of older post-menapausal women who often act as if you're giving them wooden coins.

Anyway I think the result is the same--the coins ultimatly wind up in a bank vault. I'll just let the businesses make the deposits instead of me.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just started doing this a few weeks ago and every time I go into my bank they ask me if I have any more. It seems they have quite the demand at this branch....guess that means I can move up from the batches of $1500 I've been taking in.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Try coming to NYC -- they're used all the time. Sure -- not as much as bills, but far more than in the suburbs.
In California you will never see a dollar coin - except at the self service car wash and change from the vending machine at the post office.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by k1052
I just started doing this a few weeks ago and every time I go into my bank they ask me if I have any more. It seems they have quite the demand at this branch....guess that means I can move up from the batches of $1500 I've been taking in.
Welcome to FT!

What bank, and in what region are you located?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by aviators99
I run a non-profit institution.

The "board" (if there is one) can decide whatever they want to do with any "revenue" that exceeds expenses, EXCEPT use it for the benefit of individuals or stakeholders. This is enforced by disallowing the distribution to shareholders. It can be used to pay salary, bonuses, whatever. You do mention that there is discretion there, so of course it COULD be used to provide lower loan rates, higher interest paid, or member dividends, but there's no requirement for such things.
A credit union most certainly has a board and it is elected and answerable to the shareholders (i.e., CU members).

Since the shareholders are its members, the board could, of course, distribute any surplus expenses to them, as it saw fit. Typically, that would be done in the form of dividends.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
The "board" (if there is one) can decide whatever they want to do with any "revenue" that exceeds expenses, EXCEPT use it for the benefit of individuals or stakeholders. This is enforced by disallowing the distribution to shareholders. It can be used to pay salary, bonuses, whatever. You do mention that there is discretion there, so of course it COULD be used to provide lower loan rates, higher interest paid, or member dividends, but there's no requirement for such things.
A credit union is a cooperative. Like all cooperatives, it exists to fulfill its charter/bylaws and must reinvest or return all excess monies.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
How do you use a dolly to feed the coin machine?
I previously used a dolly to deposit $9750 at a time.

A dolly is the only way to go if you are depositing more than $2500, IMHO.

I was requested in a letter to deposit smaller amounts, so as not to appear to be skirting the $10K reporting requirement.

Staying under $5K now.

xyzzy was referring to unwrap time, I believe.

After my first unwrap session, which even with kids was quite long, I called my local FT friends and discussed which banks accepted the coins rolled.

I got an account with that bank, along with 50K FF miles , and now use their branches exclusively to deposit coins.

Due to the many branches where I live and where I work, I have never gone into the same branch twice.

If a bank requests you unroll your coins, find another bank.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:18 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
Any purchase under ten dollars I'll use coins. So basically at fast-food drive-thrus, convience stores, and bars. I just burned over 200K of OnePass miles in the past year so I'm not so totally desperate for new miles at the moment that I have to use my CC for absolutly everything.

Even though I'm trying to flood my city with the coins, I don't think that many cashiers give them back as change. I'm sure most get tired of having thier customers accuse them of not giving them the correct amount that it's not worth the headache. However most younger cashiers like the shiney new coins and will keep a couple for themselves, however there's a generation of older post-menapausal women who often act as if you're giving them wooden coins.

Anyway I think the result is the same--the coins ultimatly wind up in a bank vault. I'll just let the businesses make the deposits instead of me.

Edna Crabapple really turned you off to those post-menopausal women, didn't she.

I've never had a problem using the coins, and find that most cashiers do give them a second look, but it's more along the lines of a "hey, cool!" look. I've never seen anyone bite one to see if it's real though. I made the silly mistake at the farmers' market asking one of the vendors if he'd prefer $8 in dollar coins or bills and he said "bills", which I gave him. Lesson learned, I don't ask anymore, but if a cashier refused, I'd probably just give them paper money. I do my best to circulate them out of the rolls via small transactions when I'm not using a CC, but do I really want to carry around that much shrapnel 24/7?

The only place I've ever had the coins dispensed to me was via the ticket machine in the DC metro.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Sep 24, 2009 at 9:30 pm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
A credit union is a cooperative. Like all cooperatives, it exists to fulfill its charter/bylaws and must reinvest or return all excess monies.
Yes, I know nothing about CUs, in particular. I was just responding about non-profits, in general (which was how the quote was phrased).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by abelman
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it make more sense to accumulate starwood points and then transfer them AA with a 20% bonus? Can you achieve AA lifetime platinum that way?
Yes.. I just passed 2mm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I previously used a dolly to deposit $9750 at a time.
A dolly is the only way to go if you are depositing more than $2500, IMHO.
xyzzy was referring to unwrap time, I believe.
xyzzy said, <<Now, if I could only lift the bucket that we shelled them into...>
He has to put the coins to the coin machine...

That is why I ask how you can use dolly to get the coins into coin machine?

Using dolly to carry the coins into the bank, sure. I used a wheeled cart for the 2500 box. The maximum I can handle is $3000. Above that I have some difficulty to handle the cart... (me being a 115lb female...)
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Happy
xyzzy said, <<Now, if I could only lift the bucket that we shelled them into...>
He has to put the coins to the coin machine...

That is why I ask how you can use dolly to get the coins into coin machine?

Using dolly to carry the coins into the bank, sure. I used a wheeled cart for the 2500 box. The maximum I can handle is $3000. Above that I have some difficulty to handle the cart... (me being a 115lb female...)
Costxco is featuring a dolly for $21.95 can handle #150 lbs. Say $7,500? Good news is it's not a 2-pack!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
...And you can use your SPG Amex at Costco!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
... However most younger cashiers like the shiney new coins and will keep a couple for themselves, however there's a generation of older post-menapausal women who often act as if you're giving them wooden coins.

I am asking very nicely here:

Please revise your derogatory putdown of all women, as we all sooner or later become older and post-menopausal. And, you have no idea how many of us have been particpating in this program for quite a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.