Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by QL_714
Amex does not consider someone who makes Mint purchases a good costumer.
Neither does Chase.

And no, that statement does not stem from "I heard somewhere that..." type rumors.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Some have and they can as there is usually cash equivalent terminology in the t&c of the cc which they can leverage here
The cash equivalent terminology generally says they reserve the right to count these as cash advances and not give rewards. But if they did NOT treat them as cash advances and DID give rewards, then that clause would not really apply anymore.

However every agreement I've ever seen also contains a catch-all to the tune of "we can close your account for any reason and we don't have to tell you why". You can't fight that one.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Of course, if nobody carried balances (most recent stats I've seen are that about 50% do), rewards programs would suffer big-time.
This figure has not changed for decades. Goes to tell you 1/2 of the cardholders are either should not use cards (spend beyond their means) or are in the flog of how credit card works. I even read in Capital One 100K miles thread that a guy used his C1 card to take Cash Advance from ATM aboard so he can avoid 3% forex fee - then he was surprised to see each and every ATM withdrawal has a $10 usage fee (cash advance fee before the financial charge even kicks in!) Makes you wonder how he can use the correct term of "Cash Advance", yet expects this would be no fee, no interest?!

Originally Posted by mikeef
If people are going to be stupid, I'm happy to be the beneficiary.
Mike
Hear hear.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tronic
Just called my bank (a credit union) and asked about depositing the coins and they said they must be unrolled and that if deposited via a teller it would be a 5% fee but if I was willing to use the coin counter it would be 1% which doesn't seem like much but its basically like paying $500 for a reward ticket that costs 50k miles so that's out.

I'm gonna call around and see but which chain do you guys think I'll have the best luck with? Yes, I know that they've all been talked about in this thread individually but after reading the last 100 pages it's just the same thing repeated.

These are the national chains I have in my area:
Wells Fargo
Capital One
Comerica
BofA
Chase
Citibank
BBVA Compass
+ a handful of regional/state banks

I know it varies by branch but who should I try first for overall acceptance?
Typical noob behavior!

Everyone tries this by trial and error in actually bringing in the coins for deposit.

There is NO Bank Policy but Branch Policy. Different town has different situation as well. Even same bank different branches with 1 to 2 miles apart would have a totally different attitude.

Please do yourself and the thread members a favor by actually going to the branches of your choice and find it out which one is friendly and which one is not.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Never had a problem with Wells Fargo. YMMV
Key word!

50% of the Wells Fargo in my area are reluctant, 3 of them actually balked, 1 imposed a bogus fee.

This thing cannot be generalized - the only way to find out is by trial and error.

Calling around is the one of the most stupid things to do as it only alerts the branches you are onto something, especially one has 0 relationship with the banks and simply opening accounts for the deposit. Banks would be happy to take it with a business account which of course charges fees for depositing coins.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 17, 2011 at 11:04 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by QL_714
Amex does not consider someone who makes Mint purchases a good costumer.
Man, if they'd seen my Viking outfit at last halloween, they'd know that minties can be great costumers. ....

Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by andyandy
Man, if they'd seen my Viking outfit at last halloween, they'd know that minties can be great costumers. ....

Sorry, sorry, sorry.
jpegs, or it didn't happen
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:29 am

Guys, I need to spend $1,000 to complete my BA $2,500 spend requirement till the end of the month and thought of finally starting to use coins. I am rather new here and would appreciate if you can answer these questions:

1. Can you please provide valid web link that I should use to buy coins (I know it is stupid of me to ask for one, but I've heard that mint.com is no longer working or something...)

2. What is the max I can buy?

3. Has anyone had experience with buying coins using Chase BA CC? Do they treat the purchase as cash advance or not?

4. I can't be at home to pick up coins. Should I wait for a mail guy dropping a note and pick up at the closest location?

Thanks to all in advance! I would spend many hours reading through forums to get the answers myself, so your help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by partizanka
Thanks to all in advance! I would spend many hours reading through forums to get the answers myself, so your help is greatly appreciated!!!
How about just reading the first post and the linked threads .... you'll have a lot of great information to give you a start. From there, you can ask specific questions not answered in those Posts and FAQs
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
The very first post has a link to the FAQ. The FAQ thread is entitled:
"US Mint Dollar Coin FAQ, Please read before posting in the coin thread"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...in-thread.html
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:10 pm

Page 1007. This thread is starting to remind me of a Homer Simpson quote:

"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Happy
Key word!

50% of the Wells Fargo in my area are reluctant, 3 of them actually balked, 1 imposed a bogus fee.

This thing cannot be generalized - the only way to find out is by trial and error.

Calling around is the one of the most stupid things to do as it only alerts the branches you are onto something, especially one has 0 relationship with the banks and simply opening accounts for the deposit. Banks would be happy to take it with a business account which of course charges fees for depositing coins.
Really? I deposited coins to a Chase business account and was not charged any fees. Was I lucky?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satz
Really? I deposited coins to a Chase business account and was not charged any fees. Was I lucky?
Try it a few more times and see if your luck would run out.

Again, it depends on branches whether they are willing to accommodate or not. It also depends on how much, how often, your deposits are and how big the branch is, how busy the branch is. (the bigger the busier the merrier)

It is not a one size fits all thing. Pretty much try it by error at your local branches of ANY bank.

More than one occasions with either BofA or Wachovia, the branches suggested me to open a business account...

Therefore any info posted by others NOT in your neck of wood, is pretty much useless unless it is a Corporate-wide policy change with back up documents. Why people want to generalize others experience that may be thousand miles away is beyond me because this thing has way too many variables that are localized. There are literally 2 Wells Fargo branches in my area that are 1/2 mile apart and they have a totally opposite attitudes!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by aragno
My Andrew Jackson order from early May just went to Sold-out.
As did mine and the order was cancelled.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by superking
So you can do multiple orders per email/per address as long as you have different cc?
I don't think so, or at least not reliably. My son tried to send an order to my address with a different cc than what he uses at home. Mint dropped the order because someone else (me) was already using that address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.