Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jpripcord
That gives me hope at least. I placed two orders on 6/13 that were both One Hold > In Process through today. If all works out, I would like to see them ship tomorrow/next day if I'm one day behind you
They are both still in process though. The option to cancel on both disappeared this morning. Both of these are going to a PO Box and I leave for a trip Friday so hopefully they ship by Weds since it takes two days to go to a PO box. I am going to SF and my stash of coins is running low, so I wouldn't mind having a few extra rolls to take with me since a lot of the bars I like to go to don't accept cc's, SF credit cards don't accept cc's and their muni system didn't accept cc's last time I used it, so the coins will come in very handy there.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
The practice is much older than that.
Only when in backordered situation. In Stock would always get authorization immediately.

Up till March / April the card was IMMEDIATELY authorized literally within SECONDS after placing the order. I can see that happens on all my cards - either a pending charge detail such as cards from BofA, or the available credit limit is reduced by $1K.

I dont know about the month of April as we have gone on a 6 weeks long trip. Came home mid May and found the new practice.

We had a very brief moment when there were actually In Stock inventory - yet the cards were not immediately authorized as in the past when placing orders during that brief window.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Even before May, in the infrequent instances when an ordered item was on backorder, my card (admittedly not an Amex) was not authorized until the inventory was allocated.
That was always the case when it is backordered.

However in the past when backordered, the order would not go In Process until stock is available.

Since May, order went In Process long before stock is available and the In Process can turn back to On Hold if you happen to have used the same card for placing 2 orders 10 or more days apart but the first order shipment was less than 10 days before the 2nd order's stock becomes available - the 2nd order reverts back to On Hold.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This sucks IF it's true it's now ten days AFTER authorization until you can order again. I have been ordering ten days between orders so far with no problems, so hopefully the person that posted that didn't know what they were talking about.

Am Ex isn't a big dea`l since it shows the date it was actually authorized but with Citi, it won't be as easy.
You will get order status reversed from In Process back to On Hold if the same card is used to place 2 orders of 10 days interval but the 1st order was very delayed for shipment and the 2nd order was ready to ship in less than 10 days from the 1st order's shipment.

I have had that happened 3 or 4 times now. At least 2 or 3 persons told me they had that happened to them too. The only common element is, same card, 2 orders and the shipment dates were less than 10 days in between, the 2nd one would be reverted back to Oh Hold.

My first incident was a 5/26 order got shipped before a 5/16 order. When the 5/16 order was ready to ship, the card was authorized on the 5/26 order shipment only 3 or 4 days before. Result? The 5/16 order reverted back to On Hold. I called and switched the payment card and they released it again, then it shipped.

I currently have yet another order once again reverted back to On Hold - because the card used was authorized on 6/16 for a 6/09 shipment for unknown reason, and the order was placed on 5/30! This totally messed my current order up as order should be good to ship now yet since the previous authorization was done on 6/16 despite previous order was placed on 5/30 and shipped on 6/09, Mint system reverts the current order back to On Hold!

Last edited by Happy; Jun 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow! 10 days from order, 10 days from authorization, 10 days from shipping, $1,000 order limit, order reversals. I'm glad an "exemption" alleviates these problems.

Cheers!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Happy
You will get order status reversed from In Process back to On Hold if the same card is used to place 2 orders of 10 days interval but the 1st order was very delayed for shipment and the 2nd order was ready to ship in less than 10 days from the 1st order's shipment.

I have had that happened 3 or 4 times now. At least 2 or 3 persons told me they had that happened to them too. The only common element is, same card, 2 orders and the shipment dates were less than 10 days in between, the 2nd one would be reverted back to Oh Hold.

My first incident was a 5/26 order got shipped before a 5/16 order. When the 5/16 order was ready to ship, the card was authorized on the 5/26 order shipment only 3 or 4 days before. Result? The 5/16 order reverted back to On Hold. I called and switched the payment card and they released it again, then it shipped.

I currently have yet another order once again reverted back to On Hold - because the card used was authorized on 6/16 for a 6/09 shipment for unknown reason, and the order was placed on 5/30! This totally messed my current order up as order should be good to ship now yet since the previous authorization was done on 6/16 despite previous order was placed on 5/30 and shipped on 6/09, Mint system reverts the current order back to On Hold!
So if these orders happen to revert back to hold and say I decide to cancel them if it has been 10 days since the last shipment went out on those cards, can I reorder again, or do I have to wait until 10 days from today since my cards were authorized today?

This is starting to get really complicated, and I am a CPA and should be used to dealing with things like this I am about ready to add a few more cards to thesetwoamericanexpress acounts and just do an order once a month on each one
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejs621
Wow! 10 days from order, 10 days from authorization, 10 days from shipping, $1,000 order limit, order reversals. I'm glad an "exemption" alleviates these problems.

Cheers!
Actually once I have learned about this, I need to pay closer attention on which cards are used instead of falling back to the old habit.

The current reversal is partly due to my oversight by inadvertently used the card that I gave to release the 5/16 order.

The funny thing is, when I called to get this done, the woman said you must have an exemption. I said no I dont. She said yes, you have. I said OK, I must have had and I forgot about it. You get the drift.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2011 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
So if these orders happen to revert back to hold and say I decide to cancel them if it has been 10 days since the last shipment went out on those cards, can I reorder again, or do I have to wait until 10 days from today since my cards were authorized today?

This is starting to get really complicated, and I am a CPA and should be used to dealing with things like this I am about ready to add a few more cards to thesetwoamericanexpress acounts and just do an order once a month on each one
Greeting from a former CPA... I am glad this is behind me.

You can always re-order as long as the authorization does not take place prior the 10 days have passed.

If the On Hold order stock status is In Stock, I call in to change payment card that is not touched 10 days before. Order immediately changed back to In Process once the new card info is in the system, and ship next day.

The downside of the above is, Mint could take 3 to 7 days to finally bill the replacement card - this makes bookkeeping a little bit demanding, even with a spreadsheet and Microsoft Money. I always make sure the entries on cash side and the card billing side are balanced in my Money but sometimes forget the notation made in the spreadsheet.

I dont bother to cancel and re-order which would make you queue all over again. The stock status would change to In Stock FIRST before the Mint authorize your card. So you have your spot and just need to replace the existing one with a new one, or if enough time has passed, asked the Mint to try release it again.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2011 at 1:23 am
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:53 am

Read FAQ

but it doesn't answer

Is the limit per person/address/email address/account/credit card/etc?

The Mint has not explained how they enforce the limit.

From other's experience, if you have 2 credit cards, could you place one order for each card or just 1 order per 10 days? Looks like now there's a lag time? So I should only place my order 10 days after the bank authorize my card? I have a citi visa and a citi am ex. Any guidance without having to go back and read through 1k pages would be appreciated.

I've gone back and read the last 10 pages or so and i got confused. It appears now that if the order's been on hold for too long people are calling in and replacing the order with a new credit card and it goes through?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
So I woke up this morning to this email:

Dear United States Mint Customer:

According to our records, the credit card you used to place this order
with us has been declined.

There are a variety of reasons why a credit card charge may not be
accepted. Unfortunately, we were unable to determine the specific
reason in your case. Please contact the card issuer if you desire
additional information regarding this decline.

To complete this order, please contact us at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)
and provide us with a valid credit card number and expiration date.
Please note that your on-line account must also be updated. However,
doing so will not automatically update your current order.

If we do not hear from you within seven (7) business days from the date
of this notice, your order will be cancelled.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and look forward to
being of service to you in the future.
For reference I was using my AMEX PR Gold card and my bill has been kept current and I dont have a "high balance" currently. I'm going to call and ask them to try to run it through again and see what happens. Any other thoughts?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by dshides

For reference I was using my AMEX PR Gold card and my bill has been kept current and I dont have a "high balance" currently. I'm going to call and ask them to try to run it through again and see what happens. Any other thoughts?
When was the last order placed/shipped using this card?

See '10-day' discussion over the last few pages. I believe the Mint is known to send this e-mail (wording inappropriate) where the 10-day factor is 'violated'. I received one myself today. I simply cancel and re-order when this happens.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by metoo
My order is still in process from June 14, 2011. It says expecting shipment on June 22, 2011 but I don't see any authorization charge on my credit card.

Am I supposed to?
i'm in the same boat and i ordered the 13th
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
ordered on 12th. Still in process (had even gone back to hold once but is back to proc now) and no auth on card.

this is causing me to possibly take a summer coin break
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by User Name
When was the last order placed/shipped using this card?

See '10-day' discussion over the last few pages. I believe the Mint is known to send this e-mail (wording inappropriate) where the 10-day factor is 'violated'. I received one myself today. I simply cancel and re-order when this happens.
The previous order was ordered on 6/01/11 and shipped 6/09/11. This order was ordered on 6/13/11. Maybe it is in fact true that they are counting the date from when the card was authorized.. I'll try reordering.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Several dozen
Any other thoughts?

One - Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition! Outside chance Cardinal Fang is on to you. My first clue was a decline in gift card orders. Then again, is your billing address=shipping address? That could be the snag or else just random chance.

Originally Posted by dshides

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.