Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:47 pm

I saw this coin scheme on Reddit and decided signing up to FT might be a good idea. I'm a lowly college student who is trying to get abroad cheap! I don't have any rewards card yet. What would be a good card to start racking up miles and buy some of these coins? I want to get to Europe so badly
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by veiwtifuljoe
I saw this coin scheme on Reddit and decided signing up to FT might be a good idea. I'm a lowly college student who is trying to get abroad cheap! I don't have any rewards card yet. What would be a good card to start racking up miles and buy some of these coins? I want to get to Europe so badly
You could get far with the Citi AAdvantage cards. Read post number 2 in the thread at the link below and study it carefully, it could get you where you want to go.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-up-bonus.html
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I sent you a PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
convince a family member to do it and get signed on as their auth user. Do all the ordering and payments to the card and just rack up miles and have at!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:21 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Best,

PedroNY
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Just a word of caution ... be responsible with the credit card if you get one.

Keep in mind that many who participate regularly on this thread are financially stable and able to "play" and cover problems or take risks, as needed. There are definite advantages to participating in the game, but don't go overboard or be irresponsible. You'll pay for it later and it won't be fun as someone just starting out. Many employers now look at your credit rating to measure your personal and fiscal responsibility, if you mess that up, your career can be dead before it ever started.

OTOH, enjoy what you reap from this and other schemes mentioned on FT and elsewhere.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by i3udfrog16
try reading SOME of the thousands and thousands of posts.... so people dont need to ask and subsequently answer, the same questions...over and over and over....
Yeah, I started to, then I asked instead. No good "summary" post detailing these things like the AA 75,000 post has.

In any case, here's a tip: Many card issues allow you to add additional "authorized users" as yourself. I do it to separate business expenses, but I have multiple card with the same name and same account -- but different #.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Never borrow money unless you can make money with it.

Look at the best times and routes to get to Europe with a tool like Kayak. Learn the seasons, carriers and routes to see when frequent flyer miles cost might be lowest.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Keep in mind that many who participate regularly on this thread are financially stable and able to "play" and cover problems or take risks, as needed. There are definite advantages to participating in the game, but don't go overboard or be irresponsible. You'll pay for it later and it won't be fun as someone just starting out. Many employers now look at your credit rating to measure your personal and fiscal responsibility, if you mess that up, your career can be dead before it ever started.

OTOH, enjoy what you reap from this and other schemes mentioned on FT and elsewhere.
Good points. If ANYONE is not paying their credit card bill in full and on time when the bill comes (unless they have a zero percent teaser rate and using the money), I wouldn't recomend the coins. The interest is going to be more than the value of the points.

And also be careful with Am Ex. While I don't see them giving a college kid a huge credit line, I have seen a few posts of people getting a FR from Am. Ex. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me yet, but I have a lot of other expenses on that card and pay it off at least once a week.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:57 pm

I've got 4 cards: Citi MC, Citi Visa, Citi Amex and Amex SPG.

The Citi MC is my long term card and the Amex SPG is going to be my go to card from now on. Do you guys recommend keeping your "primary" CC out of this game? I know that it hasn't happened yet to anyone here but I'd hate to have my primary card cancelled for misuse or something. Or should I just start buying with all 4 cards?

Second, should I open a separate bank account at another bank other then my primary so that I don't have to ever worry about screwing up the relationship with my primary bank?

Third, not so much related to $1 coins but hopefully you guys can help. Can I add myself as an authorized user on any of the above CCs? It's just me right now so I don't have any legitimate users to add but would like too if I could add myself.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tronic
I've got 4 cards: Citi MC, Citi Visa, Citi Amex and Amex SPG.

The Citi MC is my long term card and the Amex SPG is going to be my go to card from now on. Do you guys recommend keeping your "primary" CC out of this game? I know that it hasn't happened yet to anyone here but I'd hate to have my primary card cancelled for misuse or something. Or should I just start buying with all 4 cards?

Second, should I open a separate bank account at another bank other then my primary so that I don't have to ever worry about screwing up the relationship with my primary bank?

Third, not so much related to $1 coins but hopefully you guys can help. Can I add myself as an authorized user on any of the above CCs? It's just me right now so I don't have any legitimate users to add but would like too if I could add myself.

Thanks.
I'd watch out with the SPG card if I were you. Look in the AMEX area of the forum and read about the financial reviews. A few people had their SPG accounts cancelled from AMEX for various reasons including $1 coin purchases.

I would use VISA cards since they seem to be fine and the way to go in general. I'm not sure about the Citi AAdvantage cards but will find out soon. Personally requested a $0 CA limit on the AMEX card even though I didn't receive the card yet. Hopefully, I don't get a FR since I'm a college student too who just got a decent credit limit approval on the Citi AAdvantage VISA and AMEX...

Plan on applying for the AMEX Gold 75K in the future after I get the bonuses for these two cards and pay off both balances.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM

Well said!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unless this stuff IS your career lol
then you'd be a master
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well of course yes, you DO have to pay the CCs in full and on time
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I'd watch out with the SPG card if I were you. Look in the AMEX area of the forum and read about the financial reviews. A few people had their SPG accounts cancelled from AMEX for various reasons including $1 coin purchases.
It appears that a lot of those people are making only coin purchases or maxing out the limits with coins (harder to do now).

Having said that, I'm pretty seriously considering dropping Amex from the rotation. I have two cards, one with a few hundred thousand MR points. Don't want to risk getting snagged on one and have them cancel both.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.