Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miami305
Anyone not getting the confirmation emails from the mint? Usually I get the emails from them (with the tracking #) the morning that shipment arrives, but I haven't gotten anything lately.
That's a roger. I was pretty surprised to see the UPS guy early today.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by megamega
Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm sure you'll see the benefit to having paper dollars the next time you need to pay $500+ in cash. Those coins are mighty heavy to carry around.
You must have a George Costanza sized wallet if you pay $500 in dollar bills... haha It seems to work fine over in Europe with the 1 euro coin.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Anyone not getting the confirmation emails from the mint? Usually I get the emails from them (with the tracking #) the morning that shipment arrives, but I haven't gotten anything lately.

Yes, I too did not get a confirmation email from the mint recently. When I checked my account with them online, it showed shipment in progress and gave a tracking number, which, when clicked, turned out to be an "unidentified" shipment on the UPS website, with no delivery info available. However, yesterday morning I received an automated recording call by phone from UPS, advising me the package would be delivered and required a signature, and voila -- they were here about an hour later.

Perhaps they are no longer sending conf emails to customers who have online accounts with them?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Perhaps they are no longer sending conf emails to customers who have online accounts with them?
Mine was without an account.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Yes, 7 shipments today no emails. I thought I hit the lottery when the UPS man showed up.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Hey DD look here!

Back in the game!

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

2001 SACAGAWEA $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 2 units shipped on 01/20/2010
2010 NATIVE AMERICAN $250 BOX $1 COINS 20 $250.00 $5,000.00 20 units shipped on 01/20/2010

:-::-::-::-::-::-:

Ordered Jan 14, shipped Jan 20

Last edited by mrpickles; Jan 20, 2010 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
I got an confirmation email -- and a message on my voice mail from UPS informing me of the incipient delivery. I never had a UPS phone call before -- for anything. And, I do have an account with the Mint.

Ordered Jan 10, 2010
Shipped Jan 14, 2010 (and US Mint email)
UPS Call Jan 15, 2010
Received Jan 15, 2010

$500 of Native American Tree of Peace coins.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
today's deposit :(

A while back, I posted that I opened a business savings account so I wouldn't need to deal with begging the bank to do me a favor.
So, I started receiving coins again, and of course, now this (once cool) bank is giving me trouble...

Teller: "You can't put $2000 in one bag, sir"
Me: "Okay, well the deposit bag has printed on it that you may put 2000 1$ coins in it."
... points at deposit bag ...
Teller: "I know that sir, but we only accept up to $500 per bag"
Me: "Why?"
...she goes and talks to the teller leader....
Teller: "We'll accept it this time."
Teller: "You know there is a fee for depositing coins?"
Me: "Yes, it should be $4, as listed in the schedule of fees"
Teller: "No, its $8."
... back and forth ...
Me: "So when the schedule of fees says $4 per bag for sorted coins, it really means for 'rolled' coins and 8$ fee for unsorted coins, doesn't mean for a mixed bag of coins, as the words would lead me to believe, but it means $8 for any bag filled with unrolled coins?"
Teller: "Correct."
Me: "Well, I'm glad we've established you're just making things up, because the words in the schedule of fees make very clear distincitions in usage between rolled, sorted, and unsorted."
Teller: "How would you like to pay the $8"
Me: "Cash"

So here I am back at the same place, I tried to do the right thing and open a business account so I could pay for the hassle of dealing with these coins... Off to try a new branch next time I guess.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I paid taxes in an estrogen zone. It was a little dicey.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by rajuabju

I wish we'd stop printing paper dollar bills. such an utter waste of resources.
I suspect this is what it will take for the dollar coins to gain wide acceptance. I really wish they'd make them the size of the classic and IKE dollars. Those feel like dollars.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by megamega
Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm sure you'll see the benefit to having paper dollars the next time you need to pay $500+ in cash. Those coins are mighty heavy to carry around.
Then you're likely going to be using $20s and $50s rather than paper $1s!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I successfully received one batch of the 2010 NA's.. But subsequent order attempts have been cancelled. Anyone had success in getting more than $5k of the 2010's and if so how'd you do it?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Yea, I didnt articulate it well, I was only talking about the $1 bill.

Of course, if we ever did get rid of ALL paper money, we could have $10 and $50 and $20 coins as well, but I'm not advocating that because it would be too radical of a change, for now.
Back in the day, there were gold $1, $2.5, $3, $4, $5, $10, and $20 coins and a proposed (samples struck but never circulated) $50 coin. Perhaps one day they'll live again.

The gold, silver, and platinum bullion coins have a face value. The 1 oz gold is $50 and I think the 1 oz platinums are $100. You'd be foolish to use them as such, but if the value of gold or platinum ever fell drastically I guess they could always be used for their monetary face value.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jan 21, 2010 at 10:48 am
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by enfuego
When people say they pay with rolls, do they literarily pay with rolled coins or unroll first? I need to buy a money order from the post office tomorrow to pay for a visa and was wondering what the most effective etiquette is.
When I buy gas, I hand the attendant a mint wrapped roll. Have never had a problem. If they want to open them and count them I have no problem with that.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You must have a George Costanza sized wallet if you pay $500 in dollar bills... haha It seems to work fine over in Europe with the 1 euro coin.
Of course most folk don't carry around a lot of $1s but opt for bigger bills to keep down the volume. Canada has the "looney", their "silver" dollar and I believe also has a $2 coin in circulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.