Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I just got my order for Jackson's this morning...

Per my CC, it was categorized as:

Other - Government Services

Can anyone confirm this is the "correct" categorization and that I'll earn the appropriate points?

I own several car washes in California and plan to start using $1 coins as change for all customers. I anticipate being able to circulate roughly $4000 in coins per month.

Last edited by rajuabju; Jan 20, 2010 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rajuabju

Can anyone confirm this is the "correct" categorization and that I'll earn the appropriate points?

I own several car washes in California and plan to start using $1 coins as change for all customers. I anticipate being able to circulate roughly $4000 in coins per month.
That is how mine have always posted and I've always received the points/miles.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Thumbs up

What a wonderful way to get these coins circulating. You win and the mint wins.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I got a bunch of the coins in change when I bought a Boston T pass last week. Left them out as a tip for the maid in my hotel room. They sat there untouched for several days.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sosiouxme
What a wonderful way to get these coins circulating. You win and the mint wins.
I have to admit, when I first read about this concept a few weeks ago, I wanted to go out and order thousands of coins solely for the purpose of getting the MR points.

After thinking about it a bit, I realized I could do some actual good... the coins themselves look pretty amazing, and I think the customer response will be positive.

I wish we'd stop printing paper dollar bills. such an utter waste of resources.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:54 pm

I wish we'd stop printing paper dollar bills. such an utter waste of resources.
Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm sure you'll see the benefit to having paper dollars the next time you need to pay $500+ in cash. Those coins are mighty heavy to carry around.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by megamega
Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm sure you'll see the benefit to having paper dollars the next time you need to pay $500+ in cash. Those coins are mighty heavy to carry around.
No one is advocating the complete removal of paper currency, only $1 bills.

Because of inflation, the Treasury should consider bringing back the $500 bill.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
I got a bunch of the coins in change when I bought a Boston T pass last week. Left them out as a tip for the maid in my hotel room. They sat there untouched for several days.
How did you indicate that these were meant to be a tip?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:02 pm

Did you label them as a tip? In my experience, unless there is a tip envelope you put the money in, maids tend to leave money there, afraid that it's a setup, even if you place it on top of said envelope.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by megamega
I believe the idea was to get rid of the $1 bill--not $5s, $10s, $20s, $50s, and $100s.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by josephstern
Same way as I always do - left the money in an obvious spot well away from any of my belongings.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same way as I always do - left the money in an obvious spot well away from any of my belongings.
If you're checking out, fine, but on a day-to-day basis, I doubt any hotel housekeeper would consider a lone stack of any money to be there for the taking.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Enjoralas
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did you label them as a tip? In my experience, unless there is a tip envelope you put the money in, maids tend to leave money there, afraid that it's a setup, even if you place it on top of said envelope.
We left some on top of a note thanking them for cleaning the room... when we returned they were neatly stacked

Used quite a few in HNL's Chinatown this weekend... there seemed to be some amusement with the gold coins
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Anyone not getting the confirmation emails from the mint? Usually I get the emails from them (with the tracking #) the morning that shipment arrives, but I haven't gotten anything lately.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I believe the idea was to get rid of the $1 bill--not $5s, $10s, $20s, $50s, and $100s.
Yea, I didnt articulate it well, I was only talking about the $1 bill.

Of course, if we ever did get rid of ALL paper money, we could have $10 and $50 and $20 coins as well, but I'm not advocating that because it would be too radical of a change, for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.