Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
USB Buxx

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.
Current users can still add new cards.)

• Initial purchase fee: $15 + $2.50 load fee
  • Load fee: $2.50 per load, $517.50 max load per transaction ($520 charge to card)
  • Max load per day: $2,000 per CC
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $2,000 per card, but $5k per CC (if you have multiple teen cards.)
    NOTE: The rolling 30 days is also time sensitive. For example, if you loaded on 9/1 at 2 PM local time and try to load on 10/1 at 12 PM local time, it will NOT work. You must load on 10/1 at 2 PM or later.
  • Max value at any time: $2,000
  • Max ATM withdraw: $200, max 3 ATM per day ($600 total). No fee at US Bank ATMs. Other 'Plus' or Visa ATM $1.50 + ATM fee.
  • You may only add/edit two new credit/debit payment methods every 24 hours, three every 30 days and 5 every 180 days.

Also - Answer ALL the identification questions in your profile (not JUST three or four) USBuxx will sometimes ask you one of the questions, if you use the account on a new computer. HOWEVER - they are more than happy to ask you an unanswered question - talk about BROKEN! So, answer ALL the questions so that when you are prompted - you can answer any of them.

Do not load with any US Bank card as this will not provide points.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for US Bank

NW Buxx

• Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053)
  • $2 load fee
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
  • The maximum Card value is $1,000.00
  • Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
  • Max spend per 7 rolling days: $800

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

Reports of Citi cards (at least Mastercard) coding as purchase for NW Buxx (Jan 2015), but YMMV.

TD Bank Go Buxx

Dead - "members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit."

• Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee.
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per 7 days: $2,000
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
  • Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
  • Max balance: $2,000
  • Max transactions: no limit
  • Max load per funding CC (across multiple teens): only via TD CC $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

States not supported.

AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY
According to thread, USPS MOs count against the ATM withdraw limit.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for TD Bank loads.
Citi with some cards including the Exec will keep your order as pending and it will take up Credit limit for 3 to 4 weeks.

Beginning September 3, 2014, we're making changes to the TD GO Card program.
•We're decreasing the reload limit. We're reducing the per-day reload amount from $1,000 to $500. Rest assured, your maximum card balance at any time will remain at $2,000.
•We're changing how you can fund your TD Go Card. Account owners and friends and family members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.
Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat
Today I was going to load another $1000 online to BoA Visa Buxx. After I made the request using my card on file, the screen showed 2 separate $3 load fees (for a total of $1006). I was taken aback because on Friday, I had loaded $1000 to another card and got the usual total of $1003 come up on screen. To further confuse things, I decided that I would try a telphone load rather than a computer load to see what happened. Well, doing a phone load for the same card where moments before I was told the cost would be $1006, the phone load was only $1003. I went ahead and did the phone load,

The fact that 2 separate $3 load fees came up online makes me believe that it is a system error, and I did not call customer service. However, has anyone elese experienced this today?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by imasosec
Today I was going to load another $1000 online to BoA Visa Buxx. After I made the request using my card on file, the screen showed 2 separate $3 load fees (for a total of $1006). I was taken aback because on Friday, I had loaded $1000 to another card and got the usual total of $1003 come up on screen. To further confuse things, I decided that I would try a telphone load rather than a computer load to see what happened. Well, doing a phone load for the same card where moments before I was told the cost would be $1006, the phone load was only $1003. I went ahead and did the phone load,

The fact that 2 separate $3 load fees came up online makes me believe that it is a system error, and I did not call customer service. However, has anyone elese experienced this today?

Funny that you mentioned that! Exact same thing happened to me when I loaded on Friday late night. I went ahead and still loaded it, since I don't want to waste any down time between loading/withdrawing. I do know that my card was charged for 1,006 since my MBNA card shows temporary authorizations in realtime. I will just go ahead and call the number on the back of my visa buxx card once I see the final transaction post and tell them the problem. FYI, I even went back and read the terms and conditions on the site thinking maybe they changed it, but it is still the same.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:00 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
How are you both able to load a full $1000? My understanding is the limit on the card is $1000. With any remaining balance, even $0.01, I would think the load would reject.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ned
How are you both able to load a full $1000? My understanding is the limit on the card is $1000. With any remaining balance, even $0.01, I would think the load would reject.
I draw the card down to $0.00 then I do a $1000 load. I n my case I do 10 $100 withdrawals over 10 days at a BoA ATM.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I'm in for 2 cards as of yesterday. The way I read the T&C was that you couldn't "load" if your balance was $1000, and that only $1000 was available for purchases at any give time (24hours?). Have people been finding that you can load amounts which push your balance over $1000?

Thanks,
CO Vet
Schoflyer
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by schoflyer
I'm in for 2 cards as of yesterday. The way I read the T&C was that you couldn't "load" if your balance was $1000, and that only $1000 was available for purchases at any give time (24hours?). Have people been finding that you can load amounts which push your balance over $1000?

Thanks,
CO Vet
Schoflyer

You can't ever have more than $1000.00 of value on the BoA VisaBuxx card at any given time. If you try to load any amount to the card that would make the balance at least, $1000.01, it will be rejected.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:21 am

Questions???

Hello,
I am ordering my Visa BUXX from BofA and have a couple of questions. Does it have that 3 digit security number on the back?? Can you use it to buy airline tickets online. I had a very bad experiance last month with being charged twice on my Visa debit card and getting a bunch of overdraft charges.
So, now i want to use this Buxx to buy my tickets...
Let me now if you have any info...
Thnaks, RIchard
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Yes, the card does have a security card and could be used to purchase airlilne tickets - the same as any debit card could.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:06 am

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
I have been using a Bank of America Visabuxx and it is working out quite well. Every 15 days I do a $1000 load, purchase a money order, then a $500 load and purchase another money order. Total cost is $6 in loading fees and $2.15 in money order fees for 1500 miles = 0.54 cents/mile for 3000 miles/month. I know I could do a little better by only doing $1000 loads and getting multiple cards, but this has been very convenient.

Any new feedback from the USBank VisaBuxx users? Are you still receiving annoying phone calls after making large withdrawals? How large a withdrawal can you make without invoking their security checks?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, CO
Jmorgans: Do you buy the MOs from Walmart? The last time I bought two (with the Charterone GCs) they asked for my driver's license. Could you buy a single 1500 money order? Or simply buy one for 1000 and one for 500, so you do it in one visit?

We should be able to figure out a way of loading 1000 at a time. Also, If you have two BofA accounts, you could earn 6000 miles per month (1500 every 15 days times four). I would just add the $15 annual fee to your calculation (no that it amounts to much, though), and perhaps the credit card annual fee as well.

I wonder if anybody has tried having both USBank and BofA accounts...

Last edited by Rufo4506; Oct 9, 2004 at 4:50 pm
Old Oct 9, 2004, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rufo4506
Jmorgans: Do you buy the MOs from Walmart? The last time I bought two (with the Charterone GCs) they asked for my driver's license. Could you buy a single 1500 money order? Or simply buy one for 1000 and one for 500, so you do it in one visit?

We should be able to figure out a way of loading 1000 at a time. Also, If you have two BofA accounts, you could earn 6000 miles per month (1500 every 15 days times four). I would just add the $15 annual fee to your calculation (no that it amounts to much, though), and perhaps the credit card annual fee as well.

I wonder if anybody has tried having both USBank and BofA accounts...
I buy the MOs from the post office since it's cheap and convenient. I have never been asked for any form of identification.

BofA only allows the card to hold up to $1000 at any one time and no more than $1500 of loads over 15 days. So I load $1000 the first time, then $500 the second if 15 days haven't gone by.

I didn't include the Visabuxx annual fee because I feel it is negligible if you are earning tens of thousdands of miles a year. For example, if you earn 36000 miles/year, a $15 annual fee adds on only 0.04 cents/mile. I didn't include my credit card fee because I had it before this deal began and will keep it after it ends.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by DH
...someone reported that Alaska Air B of A card treats the Visabux loads as cash advance....
Is this still the case? Then it would be better to pay $3 fee and use a non-BoA card.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

As any long-running thread, this one is turning into rumor mill.
I'm not aware of any BOFA cards treating VisaBuxx load as a cash advance, in fact that would contradict their T&C. If someone had it treated as a cash advance, please share it with us.

I do use both US Bank and BOFA cards, my model is completely fee-free as I use bank's own credit cards and withdraw cash from their own ATMs. I did pay fees for VisaBuxx setup and annual fees for mileage cards, I also had to upgrade to WorldPerks Signature and to sign up for their automatic payment in order to bypass 50K annual earning limit.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by neophyte
my model is completely fee-free as I use bank's own credit cards and withdraw cash from their own ATMs.
Fee-free but aren't you making 10 trips to the Bank of America ATM to withdraw your $1000? Personally, I'd rather spend the $1.25 for a money order.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

It helps that I have both ATM's within 5 min walk from home and work.

Then, how'bout standing in line at the post office or Wallmart?
Finally, dealing with clerks, explaining them how to do it - post office is ok, but Wallmart - I'll take ATM over them anytime !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.