Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
USB Buxx

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.
Current users can still add new cards.)

• Initial purchase fee: $15 + $2.50 load fee
  • Load fee: $2.50 per load, $517.50 max load per transaction ($520 charge to card)
  • Max load per day: $2,000 per CC
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $2,000 per card, but $5k per CC (if you have multiple teen cards.)
    NOTE: The rolling 30 days is also time sensitive. For example, if you loaded on 9/1 at 2 PM local time and try to load on 10/1 at 12 PM local time, it will NOT work. You must load on 10/1 at 2 PM or later.
  • Max value at any time: $2,000
  • Max ATM withdraw: $200, max 3 ATM per day ($600 total). No fee at US Bank ATMs. Other 'Plus' or Visa ATM $1.50 + ATM fee.
  • You may only add/edit two new credit/debit payment methods every 24 hours, three every 30 days and 5 every 180 days.

Also - Answer ALL the identification questions in your profile (not JUST three or four) USBuxx will sometimes ask you one of the questions, if you use the account on a new computer. HOWEVER - they are more than happy to ask you an unanswered question - talk about BROKEN! So, answer ALL the questions so that when you are prompted - you can answer any of them.

Do not load with any US Bank card as this will not provide points.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for US Bank

NW Buxx

• Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053)
  • $2 load fee
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
  • The maximum Card value is $1,000.00
  • Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
  • Max spend per 7 rolling days: $800

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

Reports of Citi cards (at least Mastercard) coding as purchase for NW Buxx (Jan 2015), but YMMV.

TD Bank Go Buxx

Dead - "members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit."

• Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee.
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per 7 days: $2,000
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
  • Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
  • Max balance: $2,000
  • Max transactions: no limit
  • Max load per funding CC (across multiple teens): only via TD CC $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

States not supported.

AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY
According to thread, USPS MOs count against the ATM withdraw limit.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for TD Bank loads.
Citi with some cards including the Exec will keep your order as pending and it will take up Credit limit for 3 to 4 weeks.

Beginning September 3, 2014, we're making changes to the TD GO Card program.
•We're decreasing the reload limit. We're reducing the per-day reload amount from $1,000 to $500. Rest assured, your maximum card balance at any time will remain at $2,000.
•We're changing how you can fund your TD Go Card. Account owners and friends and family members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.
Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 6:24 pm

Question

Originally Posted by ejflaro
Does anyone know if you load with the NWA US Bank Visa card if you get air miles for it? Using THIS card you don't pay any loading fee because it is a US Bank card.
I'm wondering about this also. I just got a Worldperks Visa card but don't want to use it unless I get miles. Thought I'd bump this since it hasn't been answered yet. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by griffinfan
I'm wondering about this also. I just got a Worldperks Visa card but don't want to use it unless I get miles. Thought I'd bump this since it hasn't been answered yet. Thanks!
The thread includes multiple references to people to haver successfully used USBank cards. What more do you want?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Actually, that might be a good point. I don't know if I've heard from someone who's used a US Bank credit card to do this. Since it would be all within the same bank, there's the possibility that they would flag it as a cash advance. So either someone should try doing it with a small amount, or someone should call US Bank to see. As it is, I use the Citi Aadvantage card, so I don't have to worry. But then again, I have to pay the small fee.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by vgastan
This is great. So, you paid the $15 enrollment fee six times? That's a $90 one-time payment.

V.

Yep, I paid a $90 one-time payment for the six cards. But let's do the complete math.

Costs for 1 year for 1 card:
$15 enrollment fee
$2 load fee times 3 loads per month times 12 months per year = $72
Total Fee: $87

Miles obtained in 1 year for 1 card:
1500 * 12 months = 18,000

$'s per mile calc:
$72 / 18,000 = $0.004, or .4 cents/mile

I do that for 8 cards (just got two more). Plus, it now looks like I can do 2,000 miles per month per card. That will reduce the .4/cents/mile by a tad. I'll now get 24,000 miles per per year per card. I have 8 cards, so 192,000 miles in a year. For that, I will have paid around $760. Or to put it another way, if I want 2 first class flights to Europe, the 250,000 miles would cost me around $1,000 (I said around because you also gets miles for the load fee, and I put all the money into an Aadvantage mile bearing checking account via BankDirect).

So now you tell me, is it worth it? I say heck yeah! But then again, I have a US Bank just down the block and have plenty of spare time to do the withdrawls. For someone who doesn't have one nearby or values their time more than I do it may not be worth it.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:10 am

Deleted after rereading thread.

Last edited by vgastan; Aug 23, 2004 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:30 pm

Yes, it appears they now let you do $500 four times each month.

I take the cash I withdrew and deposit it into my Washington Mutual checking account. Then I do a deposit to BankDirect by mailing a check and deposit slip to them. Then I pay off my Citi Aadvantage card via online payment from my BankDirect account. Although that may seem like an involved process, it's quite easy and doesn't take much time.

Originally Posted by vgastan
Yes, it is worth it!
So, now they let you load $500 four times a month (that's how you get to 2000 miles)?

And the cash you withdraw, you take it to your own bank I imagine and deposit it there. How do you transfer it to BankDirect? Some sort of ACH electronic transfer?

And then you use a BankDirect check to pay your AA-Citi balance?

Thanks for posting this, it's great deal.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question Visabuxx

MeLike2Travel

It seems that you have this down to a perfect science! I have read through the thread twice and am still kind of vague, therefore I would like to submit an inquiry for personal advice.

I want to use VISABUXX to maximize mileage earning on any of my 2 miles credit cards 1) Delta SkyMiles Gold AMEX and 2) United VISA Signature MileagePlus from BankOne. I assume the Delta AMEX is out of the question b/c the purchase of VISABUXX will be coded as a cash advance.

I am a checking account customer of Wachovia and ergo assume I should use the Wachovia Visa Buxx. In the terms for Wachovia VISABUXX it says:
No more than $100 in cash per 24-hour period may be withdrawn using the Card at an ATM.
Should I assume this is not enforced as is the case with you.

With my scenario, what are the steps I should take to gain miles. Right now I see it as:
Get a few VISABUXX cards/accounts, 1 'parent' one and many for my various 'teen' children (say 4).

Charge money to them with one of my mileage accruing cards

Goto the ATM (or moneyorder/cashadvance?) with my 'teens' VISABUXX cards and withrdaw (1 withrdawl of full amount or multiple smaller withdrawls?)

Then reload the card and do the steps over.

Do I have this down correctly? Do you have any 'security/fraud detection' advice other than only sign up for the cards about a month after one another.

Thanks for contemplating to respond to my post ^
Old Jul 7, 2004, 9:29 pm
DH

Originally Posted by beofotch
I am a checking account customer of Wachovia and ergo assume I should use the Wachovia Visa Buxx. In the terms for Wachovia VISABUXX it says:
No more than $100 in cash per 24-hour period may be withdrawn using the Card at an ATM.
Should I assume this is not enforced as is the case with you.

With my scenario, what are the steps I should take to gain miles. Right now I see it as:
Get a few VISABUXX cards/accounts, 1 'parent' one and many for my various 'teen' children (say 4).

Charge money to them with one of my mileage accruing cards

Goto the ATM (or moneyorder/cashadvance?) with my 'teens' VISABUXX cards and withrdaw (1 withrdawl of full amount or multiple smaller withdrawls?)
Wachovia charges $1 per load except for Wachovia CheckCard and credit cards and max load is $500. The ATM w/d is $1.50 (in addition to ATM owner's fee) and cash advance fee is $2.50.

Lastly, Wachovia doesn't not allow PIN based transactions so MO option is out.

https://www.visasvp.com/wachoviabuxx/card_agreement.asp
Old Jul 7, 2004, 9:53 pm

beofotch, what you wrote mostly makes sense. A couple of notes though. First, I wouldn't assume that Wachovia isn't going to enforce the $100/day limit. There's really no way to tell until you do it. Go to an ATM, don't do a cash advance or anything else. And try to do as many withdrawls as you can. Keep doing $100 w/d's until you can't do any more. When you open the cards, you can open multiple cards with the same 'teen name'. And those 'teens' have to be real people, as you have to give them SSN's. That's why I used my fiance's name. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about opening them up in one month intervals. I opened all mine at one time and didn't run into any problems. YMMV of course.

I think I answered all your questions. Let me know if you have any follow-ups though.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:00 pm
DH

Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
beofotch, what you wrote mostly makes sense. A couple of notes though. First, I wouldn't assume that Wachovia isn't going to enforce the $100/day limit. There's really no way to tell until you do it. Go to an ATM, don't do a cash advance or anything else. And try to do as many withdrawls as you can. Keep doing $100 w/d's until you can't do any more. When you open the cards, you can open multiple cards with the same 'teen name'. And those 'teens' have to be real people, as you have to give them SSN's. That's why I used my fiance's name. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about opening them up in one month intervals. I opened all mine at one time and didn't run into any problems. YMMV of course.

I think I answered all your questions. Let me know if you have any follow-ups though.
Wachovia's problem is that it charges $1.50 whether one uses its ATM or not.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:36 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
It appears that Visa Buxx is not that simple. As well as having significant fees associated with it’s use there are issues with participants: teen's age, SS #, etc. Also, how much can be withdrawn at an ATM? Is it $100/day and $300/wk as indicated by the T&C for BofA?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:39 am

Repsonses

Thanks gang for all the responses. I have a teen sister so that could work, however all the wachovia imposed fees do not seem to be conducive to this working very effectivley.

Furthermore, has anyone had experience with AMEX TravelFUNDS. I think the big issue no FT'er has dared experiment with is if you buy TravelFUNDS with a Visa Earning card whether that will be coded as a cash advance or a purchase.

Thanks again for your quick and informative responses!
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:26 am
DH

Originally Posted by beofotch
Thanks gang for all the responses. I have a teen sister so that could work, however all the wachovia imposed fees do not seem to be conducive to this working very effectivley.

Furthermore, has anyone had experience with AMEX TravelFUNDS. I think the big issue no FT'er has dared experiment with is if you buy TravelFUNDS with a Visa Earning card whether that will be coded as a cash advance or a purchase.

Thanks again for your quick and informative responses!
How can I pay for a TravelFunds Card?
You may use an American Express®, Card, Visa®, or MasterCard®, to purchase the TravelFunds Card. Cash advance limits apply. Call the Customer Service number on the back of your credit card to determine your cash advance limit.

If I use my credit card to purchase a TravelFunds Card, will I be charged a cash advance fee?
If you use your American Express Card, you will not be charged a cash advance fee. However, if you use another credit card, you may be charged a cash advance fee depending on the card issuer’s policies. You should check with your card issuer to understand their policy.

How do I reload a TravelFunds Card?
You can add additional funds to a TravelFunds Card by calling Customer Service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Funds can be added in increments of $100USD. The amount of money you add to the Card will be billed to the credit card you provide. If you purchased the Card for someone else, the recipient may also reload the Card but must provide his or her own credit card information at that time. There is a $5.00USD Reload fee that will be charged to the payment source.
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif....asp#tfcgqfaq9
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:23 am

If you're not convinced that this is good after all the discussion here, that's fine with me. I'll continue to get 16,000 miles month at a cost of under .4 cents/mile and less than 2 hours of my time. It is that simple, and there are no 'issues with participants'. And as long as you do it through US Bank, you can withdrawl all the money at once from an ATM.

Originally Posted by ned
It appears that Visa Buxx is not that simple. As well as having significant fees associated with it’s use there are issues with participants: teen's age, SS #, etc. Also, how much can be withdrawn at an ATM? Is it $100/day and $300/wk as indicated by the T&C for BofA?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:25 am

Mike

Even if I am a Wachovia customer may I do it through US Bank; how does that work. I feel this would be the best conduit to maximize earnings just as you are doing.

Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
If you're not convinced that this is good after all the discussion here, that's fine with me. I'll continue to get 16,000 miles month at a cost of under .4 cents/mile and less than 2 hours of my time. It is that simple, and there are no 'issues with participants'. And as long as you do it through US Bank, you can withdrawl all the money at once from an ATM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.