Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
USB Buxx

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.
Current users can still add new cards.)

• Initial purchase fee: $15 + $2.50 load fee
  • Load fee: $2.50 per load, $517.50 max load per transaction ($520 charge to card)
  • Max load per day: $2,000 per CC
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $2,000 per card, but $5k per CC (if you have multiple teen cards.)
    NOTE: The rolling 30 days is also time sensitive. For example, if you loaded on 9/1 at 2 PM local time and try to load on 10/1 at 12 PM local time, it will NOT work. You must load on 10/1 at 2 PM or later.
  • Max value at any time: $2,000
  • Max ATM withdraw: $200, max 3 ATM per day ($600 total). No fee at US Bank ATMs. Other 'Plus' or Visa ATM $1.50 + ATM fee.
  • You may only add/edit two new credit/debit payment methods every 24 hours, three every 30 days and 5 every 180 days.

Also - Answer ALL the identification questions in your profile (not JUST three or four) USBuxx will sometimes ask you one of the questions, if you use the account on a new computer. HOWEVER - they are more than happy to ask you an unanswered question - talk about BROKEN! So, answer ALL the questions so that when you are prompted - you can answer any of them.

Do not load with any US Bank card as this will not provide points.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for US Bank

NW Buxx

• Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053)
  • $2 load fee
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
  • The maximum Card value is $1,000.00
  • Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
  • Max spend per 7 rolling days: $800

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

Reports of Citi cards (at least Mastercard) coding as purchase for NW Buxx (Jan 2015), but YMMV.

TD Bank Go Buxx

Dead - "members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit."

• Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee.
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per 7 days: $2,000
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
  • Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
  • Max balance: $2,000
  • Max transactions: no limit
  • Max load per funding CC (across multiple teens): only via TD CC $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

States not supported.

AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY
According to thread, USPS MOs count against the ATM withdraw limit.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for TD Bank loads.
Citi with some cards including the Exec will keep your order as pending and it will take up Credit limit for 3 to 4 weeks.

Beginning September 3, 2014, we're making changes to the TD GO Card program.
•We're decreasing the reload limit. We're reducing the per-day reload amount from $1,000 to $500. Rest assured, your maximum card balance at any time will remain at $2,000.
•We're changing how you can fund your TD Go Card. Account owners and friends and family members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.
Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:48 am
Original Poster

VISA Buxx

I would think this one is Buzz-worthy, but I came to dislike recently dull and over-policed Buzz, so let’s keep it warm and cozy.

How come we never explored Visabuxx, I sense quite an opportunities here:
http://www.visabuxx.com/gotone.cfm

Of the eight issuing banks, I see two having mileage potential:
Bank of America
and
US Bank

Bank of America details:
Annual fee: $15
Funding Account: $3 per transaction, waived for BofA – issued credit card.
ATM fee: $1.50 per transaction, waived for BofA ATMs
Withdrawal limit: $100 daily, $300 weekly (not enforced)
Maximum balance: $1000
Maximum one-time load: $1000
Maximum load: $1500 in 15 days
Mileage card issued: US Air, Alaska, America West, Asiana, Hawaiian
POS transactions allowed, max $50 cashback, no limits imposed on purchases

US Bank details:
One-time Enrollment Fee: $15, $10 for US Bank customers
Funding Account: $2 per transaction, waived for US Bank – issued credit card.
ATM fee: $1.50 per transaction, waived for US Bank ATMs
Withdrawal limit (T&C): $100 daily , $300 weekly
Withdrawal limit (practical): $500 in any 4 day moving period
Maximum balance: $1500
Maximum load (T&C): $1500 in 30 days
Maximum load (practical): $2000 in 30 days
Mileage card issued: Northwest
POS transactions not allowed

Only MC/Visa can be used for reloads - no Amex/Diners/etc

So, what’s the best deal above, are there any banks/cards I missed, what are other pitfalls/opportunities ?

Last edited by neophyte; Sep 13, 2004 at 5:27 pm Reason: Thread summary
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:04 am

I gave one issued by Wachovia. It doesn't sound as good as those you mentioned:

A charge for ATM cash access of $1.50 will be assessed to the Card account for each transaction whereby you or the Teen obtains cash from the Card account at Visa or Plus ATMs. ... This fee is in addition to the fee charged by the ATM owner. The ATM owner must disclose any fee(s) they charge prior to you confirming the transaction.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
That's no different than the Citi Cash Card. They charged you for using non-Citibank ATMs.

I've been using the Visa Buxx card by US Bank for about a month now....ever since the Citi Cash card was canceled. I'm using a Citi Aadvantage card to fund it, so I'm paying $2/load. But I do the withdrawls at a US Bank, so there's no fee for that. The primary difference between the Citi Cash Card and the Visa Buxx through US Bank is that you pay $2/load (with a maximum load of $500 at one time). But other than that, it works out great like the Citi Cash Card. I asked customer service at Visa Buxx if there was any limit to the number of cards in my name, and they said no. So I have 3 cards in my name, and 3 in my SO's. That's 9,000 miles/month! So I'm very happy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hdatontodo:
I gave one issued by Wachovia. It doesn't sound as good as those you mentioned:

A charge for ATM cash access of $1.50 will be assessed to the Card account for each transaction whereby you or the Teen obtains cash from the Card account at Visa or Plus ATMs. ... This fee is in addition to the fee charged by the ATM owner. The ATM owner must disclose any fee(s) they charge prior to you confirming the transaction.
</font>
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:50 pm

Can I fund this card with an American Express?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Wow, three cards per person, 6 altogether
So, do you load all six accounts from the same AAdvantage card ? Isn't it too obvious, someone might take a notice.
When registering, did you use the same phone, email six times or did you use some variations?

Answering to another question - it is only Visa/MC deal
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:15 am

Wachovia's Visa Buxx allows MC/Visa credit/debit for funding. BA says MC/Visa only.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">So I have 3 cards in my name, and 3 in my SO's. That's 9,000 miles/month![/B]</font>
[6 cards(3, loads of $500 per month)($2 fee per load)= $36/mo in load fees] + [6 cards(~$1) = $6 of prorated Annual Fees] + [1% of $9000 = $90 of CashBack that you alternatively could get with numerous 1% CashBack CCs, like CitiBank Dividend] = $132/mo for 9k miles.

In 3 months, 27k miles, a domestic ticket, for the equivalent of $396

[This message has been edited by Alcibiades (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:21 pm

I have an Aadvantage personal and Aadvantage business card, so I use the two of those to fund the card. And to answer your second question, I used the same phone number, name, etc. They don't have a cap to how many cards I have. Theoretically I could have ten in my name. But I had to draw the line somewhere

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neophyte:
Wow, three cards per person, 6 altogether
So, do you load all six accounts from the same AAdvantage card ? Isn't it too obvious, someone might take a notice.
When registering, did you use the same phone, email six times or did you use some variations?

Answering to another question - it is only Visa/MC deal
</font>
Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:29 pm

You're right, it adds up. But, I don't count the 1% cash back, as that's an opportunity cost versus an outright expense (like the other fees are). Also, I deposit the money I withdraw into an interest bearing account (interest is right around 1.5%). So that reduces my out of pocket expense, but is somewhat difficult to quantify due to the timing of paying my credit card bill, how long the money sits in my account, etc. Regardless, I consider my out of pocket expense to $42/month. That comes out to less than a half cent per mile.

The other unsaid benefit of this is I'm using it as a means to become 1MM on AA. I personally value being lifetime gold, and someday platinum. But that's an intangible benefit that can't be quantified.

Additionally, I'm saving up the miles to fly international first class to Europe. That's 125,000 miles. If I were to obtain all of those miles from this method, it will have cost me $583. That's definitely a good deal for a first class ticket.

Everyone is going to value this deal differently. Like I said before, I don't count the opportunity cost of a cash back card. But I also don't count the interest I get from having the money for a short period of time. Nor do I count the time I spend going to the ATM, depositing the money in the bank, etc. Everyone's going to look at this differently. But for me, I've determined that it's well worth it, and am very happy to obtain these miles using this method.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alcibiades:
So I have 3 cards in my name, and 3 in my SO's. That's 9,000 miles/month!
</font>
[6 cards(3, loads of $500 per month)($2 fee per load)= $36/mo in load fees] + [6 cards(~$1) = $6 of prorated Annual Fees] + [1% of $9000 = $90 of CashBack that you alternatively could get with numerous 1% CashBack CCs, like CitiBank Dividend] = $132/mo for 9k miles.

In 3 months, 27k miles, a domestic ticket, for the equivalent of $396

[This message has been edited by Alcibiades (edited 09-24-2003).][/B]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:24 pm

I see what you mean about unquantifiable benefits 1MM etc, but IMO cashback opportunity costs should also be considered in the cost benefit analysis, and then each individual can make their respective decision.

E.G.
1% of 125; in purchases is $1,250; 1.5% is $1,875. Its difficult to get a 1st Class Awards ticket to Europe in general, very difficult in peak times. Calling 330 days in advance might help, but scheduling flexibility is diminished also.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:32 pm

The US Bank VisaBUXX has a one time enrollment fee of $15, as opposed to BofA which has an annual fee of $15. But BofA has many more ATM where I live.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I'm in, ordering my cards.
Please notice that when going for Northwest miles with US Bank ATM, lifetime cost is $10 + annual fee for the Northwest card itself (already paid anyway).

Small side benefit - after I created VisaBuxx account I noticed a nice offer for movie tickets for $4.50 or $5 good till Sep, 30.
I will order if I get the card by then.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:38 am

Understood. But, if you're going to consider the opportunity cost of the cash back, then you also have to incorporate the benefit of having the cash for a short period of time in an interest-bearing account before you pay the credit card bill.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alcibiades:
I see what you mean about unquantifiable benefits 1MM etc, but IMO cashback opportunity costs should also be considered in the cost benefit analysis, and then each individual can make their respective decision.

E.G.
1% of 125; in purchases is $1,250; 1.5% is $1,875. Its difficult to get a 1st Class Awards ticket to Europe in general, very difficult in peak times. Calling 330 days in advance might help, but scheduling flexibility is diminished also.

</font>
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MeLike2Travel:
Understood. But, if you're going to consider the opportunity cost of the cash back, then you also have to incorporate the benefit of having the cash for a short period of time in an interest-bearing account before you pay the credit card bill</font>
That's another benefit that applies to both of our scenarios equally.

Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:48 pm

Yep, that's true. I'm just pointing it out b/c you didn't calculate it in when you did your calculation of how much the miles would cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.