Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yanxfann
Rules:

Amount limits:
1. $20 minimum load

2. $1,000 maximum per rolling 24 hours ($999 for AZ NM)
3. $7,000 maximum per rolling 7 days
4. $10,000 maximum per calendar month (formerly $20K; mixed DPs, T&C states calendar month but FTers state rolling 30 days)

Frequency limits:
5. 4 individual loads per rolling 24 hours

6. 7 individual loads per rolling 7 days
7. 20 loads per rolling 30 days.

WM limits:
8. 3 GCs max per transaction

https://www.discover.com/online-bank...cking-account/
Print Wikipost

Discover Checking Loaded at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Thank you for the advice. Is there a trick to getting Meta to work? I don't understand how I swiped for $100 10 times but somehow 3 of them went through.
I don't know the trick with meta and maybe someone will know. With MS, I want to be quick and efficient when loading the money. So I don't have to stick around and raising eyebrows from the employees. That's why I stick with incomm and usbank.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by berombeu
I don't know the trick with meta and maybe someone will know. With MS, I want to be quick and efficient when loading the money. So I don't have to stick around and raising eyebrows from the employees. That's why I stick with incomm and usbank.
I agree. I wonder if I should try doing $99 load exact. I remember reading that Metabank cards at WM are hard limited to deny anything above $99, but if that's the case I'm confused why some of my $100 swipes went through.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:07 pm

I agree. I wonder if I should try doing $99 load exact. I remember reading that Metabank cards at WM are hard limited to deny anything above $99, but if that's the case I'm confused why some of my $100 swipes went through.
Don't have answer to that. While getting a gc without fee is good, but the velocity to load is limited. Not worth my time. With 3% and 4% cash back at the grocery store, I just get the $500 with $5.95 in fee and liquidate at Walmart or buying MO at the same Krogers that I just got the gc and still come out ahead after the fee.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't have answer to that. While getting a gc without fee is good, but the velocity to load is limited. Not worth my time. With 3% and 4% cash back at the grocery store, I just get the $500 with $5.95 in fee and liquidate at Walmart or buying MO at the same Krogers that I just got the gc and still come out ahead after the fee.
Would you say that at least 90% of all your GC MS gets liquidated by Discover loading?
Old May 28, 2023, 5:29 pm

Would you say that at least 90% of all your GC MS gets liquidated by Discover loading?
it's all depend on the month. Some months I put more into discover, some months I get more MOs. Depends how is the line at Walmart and who is working at the kroger. But average is more than 10k per month combined. Both krogers and Walmarts are pretty close to each other and to the house. So I don't have to drive out of my way to liquidate the GCs.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:45 pm

Because it's Meta. With MS, try to stick with a vgc that serviced by incomm or USB from kroger.
Doesn’t matter if serviced by incomm. I’ve had a lot of failures at WM with Meta/Pathward/BHN VGCs but no problem elsewhere.
Old May 28, 2023, 6:22 pm

Called number on back of card 888-524-1283 to figure out why it's getting rejected at WM and they told me the reader is running it as a money order and not debit transaction.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:37 pm

Per the Discover FAQ:

"At Walmart, you can add cash 4 times a day, 7 times a week, and up to 20 times a month."

Does this mean that you can only generate 7 receipts/loads per week? That sounds like a killer if the max load is $100 for MB GCs, effectively makes the max $700/week.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by jeffersun
all this has nothing to do with discover, this is just how certain gc work at WM. Doesn't matter if it's a card load or MO. Your staples card won't work >$99. Your generic metabank visa carry a specific bin number (the first 6 #s) which WM banned years ago. Their system doesn't care if it's under $100

Is this what you mean by charge/refund? You're saying that this is a Discover problem and not VGC problem?
Old May 29, 2023, 5:56 pm

Is this what you mean by charge/refund? You're saying that this is a Discover problem and not VGC problem?
jfc...did you really try to run the card 7 times in one day. Stop. It's a WALMART problem. Take your staples cards somewhere else. We all learned this in 2019.
danpeake, msp3 and Idk like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:55 pm

Can you make a purchase with your debit? End of december I started getting the same "debit not authorized" rejections and refunds(after a successful load in my not-home state). Gave up for a couple weeks. Finally tried to use the debit for a simple purchase and got declined. Turns out I had some mystery hold on my card. Front line phone rep couldn't see a hold, had to go dig around and then send me back to tech who released a hold that he couldn't explain. This was just yesterday, haven't had a chance to try a load again. I'll update soon
Mystery hold cleared, successful load today. If you're getting the "debit not authorized" error and a charge/refund, call discover. Note that front line phone rep saw no problems, she would not have transferred me back if I didn't demand a solution to my dead card. Back office had no information about why I had a hold on my card.
Nobody could tell me what the problem was. The solution was calling.... I'm going to assume my single out-of-state load triggered something. Would I have set off alerts if it was a $500 purchase? Probably. Considering this whole load thing is 2 months old, I'm sure there's gonna be some kinks in the system. I only loaded $3k total over a couple weeks, on a card who's limit is $7k/wk, $20k/month. I have no reason to assume my account is in any kind of jeopardy. Barely anybody even knows this is a thing yet, and new accounts are not available.

I'm referring to this series of posts you made. You mentioned having an issue with debit not authorized and getting charge/refund, and your solution was to call Discover. I'm asking if the scenario was the same as the screenshot I posted above.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:55 pm

jfc...did you really try to run the card 7 times in one day. Stop. It's a WALMART problem. Take your staples cards somewhere else. We all learned this in 2019.
This was 3 different WM to test POS, and it doesn't make sense why it worked at some but not at others. I was able to run 2x $100 off it.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:29 pm

This was 3 different WM to test POS, and it doesn't make sense why it worked at some but not at others. I was able to run 2x $100 off it.
It makes perfect sense, because you're trying to use metas which are notoriously problematic at WM BECAUSE THEY HARDCODED AGAINST THEM 3 YEARS AGO. Read that again. And then read the wiki at the top of the WM thread which I know you just breezed by.

Try to make a small purchase with your discover card. If it declines, your discover card is blocked. If it goes through, your discover card is not blocked. That's it. And totally separate from METAS FAILING AT WM, WHICH WM HARDCODED THEIR SYSTEM TO DECLINE. We don't even know if you, specifically YOU, can load something that will work, because you seemingly got way in over your head at staples and are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:18 pm

I've been loading $500 with 1 $500 VGC no problem. I haven't tried loading $1,000 with 2x $500 VGC because I'm worried that 2 swipes will give it away that it's a VGC. Am I being paranoid, or should I stick with 1 VGC?

If it's fine to try loading $1,000, how are the steps different? Do I say I want to load $1,000 when they ask how much, and do I say I want to do split payment $500 each?
Old May 29, 2023, 10:04 pm

It makes perfect sense, because you're trying to use metas which are notoriously problematic at WM BECAUSE THEY HARDCODED AGAINST THEM 3 YEARS AGO. Read that again. And then read the wiki at the top of the WM thread which I know you just breezed by.

Try to make a small purchase with your discover card. If it declines, your discover card is blocked. If it goes through, your discover card is not blocked. That's it. And totally separate from METAS FAILING AT WM, WHICH WM HARDCODED THEIR SYSTEM TO DECLINE. We don't even know if you, specifically YOU, can load something that will work, because you seemingly got way in over your head at staples and are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.
Thanks for your advice. I actually did read the entire Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022 onwards) and Walmart VGC Master Thread wikis. I even posted questions in there to make sure I understood it all.

What I'm saying is that I had some MB VGCs go through $100, then decline 3-5x and then go through for another $100 at the same WM with no rhyme or reason. You keep saying that Meta VGCs are hardcoded deny by WM but that just doesn't make sense when I have 4 separate personal DPs of $100 swipes going through.

I'll try using my Discover at Amazon right now to see if I can load $2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.