Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yanxfann
Rules:

Amount limits:
1. $20 minimum load

2. $1,000 maximum per rolling 24 hours ($999 for AZ NM)
3. $7,000 maximum per rolling 7 days
4. $10,000 maximum per calendar month (formerly $20K; mixed DPs, T&C states calendar month but FTers state rolling 30 days)

Frequency limits:
5. 4 individual loads per rolling 24 hours

6. 7 individual loads per rolling 7 days
7. 20 loads per rolling 30 days.

WM limits:
8. 3 GCs max per transaction

https://www.discover.com/online-bank...cking-account/
Print Wikipost

Discover Checking Loaded at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Somewhere in the back of my brain was a discussion about Discover being very touchy about MSing activity and shutting accounts down for minimal MSing activity. This was a long time ago (pre pandemic) so it might not be relevant today, but I guess time will tell.
They've set very clear hard limits per day and month, even if I'm actively doing this I don't expect to go much past 50% of those limits in the first place. This account has been sitting empty and unused for years, This is the only discover product I've ever had or intend on having. If this leads to my first ever ban in the better part of a decade, bring it on.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:10 pm

Got the $200 VGC at Staples over the weekend, changed PIN online. It's from Metabank and serviced by BHN

Loaded $20 without any problem.
  • Insert Discover, chose Discover Debit, entered zip code.
  • Cashier loaded $20
  • Swiped the VGC, DID NOT ask for the PIN.. humm
  • Receipt printed out, Discover balance updated immediately. Walked around the store and came back.

Tried to load $180 and $160
  • Same steps as above up until swiped the VGC, this time it asked for PIN. Input the PIN, got error message
  • DEBIT CARD not available with error code 56 when tried to load $180.
  • Error code 01 when tried to load $160
Wonder what when wrong on the 2nd and 3rd attempt.
Could it be the amount? Will try less than $100 and report back.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by berombeu
  • Insert Discover, chose Discover Debit, entered zip code.
  • Cashier loaded $20
  • Swiped the VGC, DID NOT ask for the PIN.. humm
  • Receipt printed out, Discover balance updated immediately. Walked around the store and came back.
So in the successful example, you had one terminal reading two cards at the same time (via chip and stripe), correct?
I'm amazed those flimsy terminals can even accomplish such task. I recall that all other loading steps (e.g. WM GC's, BlueBirds, etc) were done by cashiers at their terminals. We're in uncharted waters now! Hope we'll eventually learn a process that does this consistently and for any value.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
So in the successful example, you had one terminal reading two cards at the same time (via chip and stripe), correct?
I'm amazed those flimsy terminals can even accomplish such task. I recall that all other loading steps (e.g. WM GC's, BlueBirds, etc) were done by cashiers at their terminals. We're in uncharted waters now! Hope we'll eventually learn a process that does this consistently and for any value.
There was only 1 cashier working at that time and used the same terminal on the 2nd and 3rd attempt. Correct. First insert Discover debit then later swipe the VGC. Wonder why it didn't ask for VGC PIN when I loaded $20, but it asked for PIN on the 2nd and 3rd attempt.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:35 pm

...Wonder why it didn't ask for VGC PIN when I loaded $20, but it asked for PIN on the 2nd and 3rd attempt.
Was the PIN request in the format "Enter PIN for card ending 1234" or was it not that clear? PIN could be required for the card getting loaded (i.e.Discover) as well. For example, I was once getting a refund loaded on my bank debit card, and the terminal asked for PIN.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:54 pm

Was the PIN request in the format "Enter PIN for card ending 1234" or was it not that clear? PIN could be required for the card getting loaded (i.e.Discover) as well. For example, I was once getting a refund loaded on my bank debit card, and the terminal asked for PIN.
Humm.. That could be the theory. I didn't read the screen thoroughly. I saw the prompt to enter the PIN. So I assumed it asked for VGC PIN. However, I set up the same PIN for both Discover and VGC. Will check it next time. But still, the first attempt, no PIN was used. The only thing I typed was my Zip Code.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:59 am

...I set up the same PIN for both Discover and VGC.
That's a great idea -- so there's no way to get the PIN wrong. The ZIP code must've referred to Discover, unless you registered the VGC to have an address.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:12 am

all this has nothing to do with discover, this is just how certain gc work at WM. Doesn't matter if it's a card load or MO. Your staples card won't work >$99. Your generic metabank visa carry a specific bin number (the first 6 #s) which WM banned years ago. Their system doesn't care if it's under $100
danpeake likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeffersun
They've set very clear hard limits per day and month, even if I'm actively doing this I don't expect to go much past 50% of those limits in the first place. This account has been sitting empty and unused for years, This is the only discover product I've ever had or intend on having. If this leads to my first ever ban in the better part of a decade, bring it on.
what's the daily & monthly limit? Thx
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:09 pm

Rules:
  • $20 minimum load
  • $1,000 maximum load per day (rolling 24 hour period), $20,000 monthly limit
  • Can use a maximum of 4 cards (e.g Discover debit card, then 3 additional cards to load)
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:01 pm

Rules:
ah, thx
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:29 pm

I got to try loading Discover Checking for the first time today. It turns out that the terminal provides good prompts for every step. They should be followed precisely. I only had one $500 VGC to load from. The sequence was as follows:
1. Insert Discover -- enter ZIP -- remove Discover.
2. Tell cashier the load amount -- Confirm the amount on the pad -- Swipe VGC (or another source of funds) -- Enter PIN.
3. Receipt is printed.
At NO time did the terminal deal with both cards at the same time. The two parts of the process are clearly separated.
danpeake and berombeu like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:01 pm

I got to try loading Discover Checking for the first time today. It turns out that the terminal provides good prompts for every step. They should be followed precisely. I only had one $500 VGC to load from. The sequence was as follows:
1. Insert Discover -- enter ZIP -- remove Discover.
2. Tell cashier the load amount -- Confirm the amount on the pad -- Swipe VGC (or another source of funds) -- Enter PIN.
3. Receipt is printed.
At NO time did the terminal deal with both cards at the same time. The two parts of the process are clearly separated.
So you able to load $500 at 1 time? and which type of VGC did you use?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:12 am

So you able to load $500 at 1 time? and which type of VGC did you use?
Yes, the whole amount loaded correctly all at once. I used SecureSpend VGC.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:02 am

Yes, the whole amount loaded correctly all at once. I used SecureSpend VGC.
Thanks for the DP. Where did you get the securespend vgc? I saw my Walmart has plenty of them. Do you have to do anything before swiping, like changing the PIN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.