Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don’t flame if this is a newbie question answered long ago, but I’m trying to research if I can use these cards to retain 1K status through spending on my Chase PP card, or at least cover 70% of what I need before counting actual flying.

From my understanding of the USPS website, any pin enabled debit card can be used to buy MO’s, but is the non-Sutton bank blocking USPS purchases? I just think it’s easier to buy larger denominations there vs grocery stores and if I try the 1K route, I’ll need to process about $240k worth in a year, so I want to have my ducks in order before I get started. I haven’t done real MS in a few years so I’m a little rusty on the details.

Feel free to PM if the answers are on the DL so to speak
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Don’t flame if this is a newbie question answered long ago, but I’m trying to research if I can use these cards to retain 1K status through spending on my Chase PP card, or at least cover 70% of what I need before counting actual flying.
Of course you can! The only question is is the time and effort worth it to you. I top myself up to 75k when I can't get to 50 nights/yr organically on the Ritz-Carlton, and only wish I could have gotten a UA Presidential Plus... But you need to spend 240k/yr to get to 1K!?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msp3
Of course you can! The only question is is the time and effort worth it to you. I top myself up to 75k when I can't get to 50 nights/yr organically on the Ritz-Carlton, and only wish I could have gotten a UA Presidential Plus... But you need to spend 240k/yr to get to 1K!?
Well it’s 500 PQP per $12,000 in charges, so $240,000 will net 10,000 PQP which is the max allowed by credit card, and I’ll need to fly the difference of probably another 8,000 PQP which is doable. Plus there is the value of 240,000 x 1.5pts or 360,000 points to use for extra award trips, hotels, etc.

I remember now the USPS blocked prepaid gift cards from money order purchases but since these Simon cards can be embossed with a name, maybe they’ll go through? If not, I have plenty of Kroger/Ralph’s options as a plan B, and IIRC, money orders are free for Ralph’s membership card holders.

It’s only doing 20 $1,000 cards per month, so hopefully that won’t ruffle feathers but I’ll need to open another bank account to deposit the money orders since my primary bank is Chase and so are the credit cards.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Someone reported here in this thread , there are also 1k sutton available at the mall...did you had a chance to take a look at those ?

Its better than 500 ones...
Simon only sells $500 Suttons at the mall.
$1K Suttons can potentially be bought online but access to them seems to be restricted.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:03 am

Well it’s 500 PQP per $12,000 in charges, so $240,000 will net 10,000 PQP which is the max allowed by credit card, and I’ll need to fly the difference of probably another 8,000 PQP which is doable. Plus there is the value of 240,000 x 1.5pts or 360,000 points to use for extra award trips, hotels, etc.

I remember now the USPS blocked prepaid gift cards from money order purchases but since these Simon cards can be embossed with a name, maybe they’ll go through? If not, I have plenty of Kroger/Ralph’s options as a plan B, and IIRC, money orders are free for Ralph’s membership card holders.

It’s only doing 20 $1,000 cards per month, so hopefully that won’t ruffle feathers but I’ll need to open another bank account to deposit the money orders since my primary bank is Chase and so are the credit cards.
USPS has been blocking prepaid gift cards for years until recently there was a window of opportunity to use some newer prepaids, but I think that avenue has been shut down.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Chasepoints
Simon only sells $500 Suttons at the mall.
$1K Suttons can potentially be bought online but access to them seems to be restricted.
Is there a way to tell one from the other?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:02 pm

Is there a way to tell one from the other?
Can you clarify your question?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:13 pm

Can you clarify your question?
Sorry, is there a method to identify a Sutton Bank card vs a card from a different issuer? When I look online, it doesn't show the bank name at all, and I would have no idea without checking this thread.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:24 pm

Sorry, is there a method to identify a Sutton Bank card vs a card from a different issuer? When I look online, it doesn't show the bank name at all, and I would have no idea without checking this thread.
https://www.simon.com/volume/giftcard/ruby-plaid-861

but people posted here ...they are not able to buy from online.....
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
https://www.simon.com/volume/giftcard/ruby-plaid-861

but people posted here ...they are not able to buy from online.....
I haven't tried yet, but the prevailing experience is once you log in to order, the Sutton design is no longer available?

I also see Pathward NA cards - are these easy to liquidate? And other cards don't have a bank name associated with them, at least online.

I was looking for one of the most abstract designs that are better at hiding the "Gift Card" wording at the top in case anyone at the money order counter wants to look at the card.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:53 pm

I haven't tried yet, but the prevailing experience is once you log in to order, the Sutton design is no longer available?

I also see Pathward NA cards - are these easy to liquidate? And other cards don't have a bank name associated with them, at least online.

I was looking for one of the most abstract designs that are better at hiding the "Gift Card" wording at the top in case anyone at the money order counter wants to look at the card.
Suttons not accessible online.
Pathward is MetaBank. Not easy to liquidate.
bocastephen and cuthroat like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:17 pm

Suttons not accessible online.
Pathward is MetaBank. Not easy to liquidate.
Are these the only two options? or to be more specific, is Sutton, at least for now, the only single-swipe liquidation option?

I guess rather than buy a high denomination card for one fee but then paying 10x the MO fees, it’s better to pay double the card fee (2x500 Sutton) and just one MO fee.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:49 pm

Are these the only two options? or to be more specific, is Sutton, at least for now, the only single-swipe liquidation option?

I guess rather than buy a high denomination card for one fee but then paying 10x the MO fees, it’s better to pay double the card fee (2x500 Sutton) and just one MO fee.
Options:
$500 Sutton at Simon $3.95
$500 Green Dot at WMT $4.94
$500 SS MetaBank and Vanilla at WG/CVS $5.95
$500 SS and Vanilla at grocery store $5.95
Sutton is the cheapest but your strategy depends on your specific CCs and local opportunities.
My cards:
Freedom Flex 3x WG/CVS
Paypal QR code 3x CVS
Paceline 5x grocery and 3x everything else
USAlliance 3x everything til end of 2022
At Simon, I tend to use 2x cards.
In the past, I have used Discover It Miles for 3x for first year at Simon and everything else.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:56 pm

Options:
$500 Sutton at Simon $3.95
$500 Green Dot at WMT $4.94
$500 SS MetaBank and Vanilla at WG/CVS $5.95
$500 SS and Vanilla at grocery store $5.95
Sutton is the cheapest but your strategy depends on your specific CCs and local opportunities.
My cards:
Freedom Flex 3x WG/CVS
Paypal QR code 3x CVS
Paceline 5x grocery and 3x everything else
USAlliance 3x everything til end of 2022
At Simon, I tend to use 2x cards.
In the past, I have used Discover It Miles for 3x for first year at Simon and everything else.
I’m trying to keep a low profile, so the fewer swipes to liquidate the better especially as I have 240,000 to get through per year, or basically 20 supermarket visits to liquidate per month with 2x$500 MO per visit plus the bank deposit stops.

Because I’m doing this for one specific purpose I have only one card to do this with, my Chase Presidential Plus, which also means starting slow and ramping up slowly to avoid a total shutdown of my Chase relationship.

So it looks like the Sutton cards bought in person at the mall and liquidated at various Ralph’s is my best option.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:02 pm

I’m trying to keep a low profile, so the fewer swipes to liquidate the better especially as I have 240,000 to get through per year, or basically 20 supermarket visits to liquidate per month with 2x$500 MO per visit plus the bank deposit stops.

Because I’m doing this for one specific purpose I have only one card to do this with, my Chase Presidential Plus, which also means starting slow and ramping up slowly to avoid a total shutdown of my Chase relationship.

So it looks like the Sutton cards bought in person at the mall and liquidated at various Ralph’s is my best option.
Yes, it looks like the Sutton cards are your best option.
bocastephen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.