Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ClemsonStang
I liquidated all of mine at at Food Lion for $0.46 per $500 or Publix for $0.89 per $500.
I didn't have other avenues of liquidating other than PO. The above places would be safe. You don't want to mess with Government places with infinite power. I've read about not so savvy fellow who almost went to poke house over this. Not worth it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I didn't have other avenues of liquidating other than PO. The above places would be safe. You don't want to mess with Government places with infinite power. I've read about not so savvy fellow who almost went to poke house over this. Not worth it.
you just have to trust your gut feel and do what you're comfortable with NOT relying on others because bottomline if you get the dreaded knock on the door from PI, no one will help you, you're on your own. Always be prepared in whatever MS method you wish to pursue, have back up plans when SHTF occurs. Ask yourself the extent of risk you're willing to take in case you find yourself in trouble.

Winner takes it all, no one will share the bounty with you (nor you with anyone) because they were brave enough to take the chance and fwr, didn't trip the radar. All things MS is great....until the next moment, you find yourself in trouble. Just take full responsibility for your actions so you can move on.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Multiple cards declined at PO today to purchase MO. Are these cards not allowed in PO system?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you just have to trust your gut feel and do what you're comfortable with NOT relying on others because bottomline if you get the dreaded knock on the door from PI, no one will help you, you're on your own. Always be prepared in whatever MS method you wish to pursue, have back up plans when SHTF occurs. Ask yourself the extent of risk you're willing to take in case you find yourself in trouble.

Winner takes it all, no one will share the bounty with you (nor you with anyone) because they were brave enough to take the chance and fwr, didn't trip the radar. All things MS is great....until the next moment, you find yourself in trouble. Just take full responsibility for your actions so you can move on.
That is a sane advise than a reckless one some folks are dishing out and sometimes it seems it is done to get a validation.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by jerryhze
Multiple cards declined at PO today to purchase MO. Are these cards not allowed in PO system?
5Bs are Meta, no go at PO since Sept 2016.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:10 pm

Some will never learn So it is hopelessly irrelevant to try
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Arbitrageous
Definitely NOT legal. Whoo hoo! If they are as stubborn as Serve, I'll make more in disputes than I made from the use of their product. They haven't got a leg to stand on.
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
These have to be troll posts. No one can be this stupid, can they??

And seriously? No announcement? Simon reps told us a few days before it was pulled at Kmart, its not simon's fault you didn't go on those days or, you know, read and believe what was posted here. Its also not Simon's fault that kmart pulled out, they delivered the product as promised, a dispute is not in order.
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
circa 2017, it's tough to tell a troll from a 'serious' post here. reads like a 13 year old troll, but since there are impressionable minds galore here....

a. purposely drawing your CC issuer's attention to your ms= brilliant. from closing your accounts/ lifetime ban to taking back your points (might wanna read the T&C there, sparky)... really well thought out plan

b. actively soliciting simon to ban you... again, genius.

between stuff like this and the zero discretion here that rivals mms and f-ing Emily in their circles/arrows/gift card rack modeling heyday..... it seems there are people here who wake up in the morning thinking, "hmmm, the very few remaining opportunities are still too many for my liking, what can i do to change that..."

smfh
Dumb to go through cc when you can go straight to CFPB.. just got notice today
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
(The following is only for the FB game (now dead, IMO), not MS in general).
Math time again

At Lowes, each $200 FB card costs $6.95 + tax. For me, total cost is $7.50
If you buy $1000 of cards (5 total), total cost is $7.50 x 5 = $37.50 + $1000

To convert to MOs, I have to use either WM which limits me to 4 swipes or a grocery which limits me to 1. (I have never used USPS).
If I use WM, I can convert 4 cards to a MO for $800 and pay the $0.79 fee in cash.
Extrapolating to $1000 converted to a MO means I pay $0.99/$1000 converted cards.
So I have paid $37.50 + $0.99 to convert 5 cards having a total of $1000 on them in to a MOs worth $1000.

HOWEVER, the only way to get your 5% back is to convert the $200 FBs to MOs at a FB participating institution. CVS is gone as is Kmart so basically, no way to convert other than buying cardboard meals or shotgun shells (ok, ok throw in some paint ).

Alternative to above is to buy 2 SMGCs at $500 each and convert at WM for a total cost of $7.90 + $0.79 + $1000. Little time spent and total cost is $8.49/$1000

If I bought merchandise at a participating retailer then I will have a $50 balance on my 5 $200 FB GCs but no MO What is the point of that??. I could go and buy another VGC or MCGC at a place which will allow multiple swipes for purchase such as Lowes or Costco. There is an expense to buying and again converting the residual $50 which at a minimum will be $4.95 (plus tax) but again no place to convert to a MO other than a non FB institution which means no FB returned to the card. So I get $50 back (minus MO fee) if I buy merchandise at the correct retailer (or meals or services).

Final assessment. The only way to benefit from this card is to use it as it was meant to be used, for merchandise. I see no reason to purchase one unless you have a large item to buy (such as tires) in which you will get back $25 in credit for every $500 you spend, minus the $3.95 fee.

Without a site to convert your FB card into a MO where you get the bonus, the only reason to using Lowes would be if you have residual FB cards that have not yet been drained.

Math time again.
You have residual $25 FB cards. If you go to Lowes, buy a $200 GC, it will cost you $5.95 or more. Convert it to a MO at WM, add $.79. Get back $10 residual on the remaining cards. Make about $2-3 on a $200 GC.
Or
Go to WM, swipe 4 residual $25 FB and buy a $100 MO for $0.79. Multiply by 2 and it only cost you $1.58.

I work for a living. I think that for time spent, you would do better flipping burgers at Micky D's than playing the FB game.
Spot on...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Is WM still allowed?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:43 am

Lowes is unlimited. I used 100 FBs in a single transaction.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
Lowes is unlimited. I used 100 FBs in a single transaction.
At the self checkout? Cashiers give me the annoyed face when I swipe 8, can't image 100
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Several dozen
Splat! And yet another bug on the windshield of MS. Folks, step away from the cell phone and do a small proof of concept test before reddit or youtube get you caught up in some bad MS. Don't do a Lady Gaga!

Ruh-oh-oh-oh-oh! Ruh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!
Caught in a bad MS
Caught in a bad MS

Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
I used 100 FBs in a single transaction.
natz question: I wonder why people won't even spare miniscule amount. I leave that much in glass jars
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
natz question: I wonder why people won't even spare miniscule amount. I leave that much in glass jars
maybe they were draining 500's........
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Splat! And yet another bug on the windshield of MS. Folks, step away from the cell phone and do a small proof of concept test before reddit or youtube get you caught up in some bad MS. Don't do a Lady Gaga!

Caught in a bad MS
Caught in a bad MS

MY 5Bs worked at PO so ymmv

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.