Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
My Simon Mall manager said the email stated credits would post through the end of the week, FWIW. It apparently wasn't more specific.
This sucks in many ways. Kmart was the last general merchandiser left on the list and even if I couldn't get MOs from them, I still was able to use those cards for general merchandise and get 5% back.
That made my Kmart more than competitive especially when you added all the other incentives they throw at you for your business.

FB is now officially worthless for all purposes unless you like eating at big national cardboard restaurants or need shotgun shells
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1

FB is now officially worthless for all purposes unless you like eating at big national cardboard restaurants or need shotgun shells
Lowes?

YMMV.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Lowes?

YMMV.
Lowes is a pain in the butt even if it works. There must be a 3 swipe limit as I've tried getting rid of 25s there, but it always gives a card error after 2 unless the 3rd finishes off the rest. Its not worth the effort in my opinion.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Lowes is a pain in the butt even if it works. There must be a 3 swipe limit as I've tried getting rid of 25s there, but it always gives a card error after 2 unless the 3rd finishes off the rest. Its not worth the effort in my opinion.
The most I had tried was 21 swipes in one transaction.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spgbus
Bought a new set of tires at Costco, used a stack of $25 FB cards. Now I know you can go to at least 21 swipes there.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by spgbus
They automatically come up as debit when you did this correct? Or did you do something to change it to credit.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:30 am

They automatically come up as debit when you did this correct? Or did you do something to change it to credit.
Credit and Debit both work - you have the option to enter a pin or sign if you cancel
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Lowes?

YMMV.
(The following is only for the FB game (now dead, IMO), not MS in general).
Math time again

At Lowes, each $200 FB card costs $6.95 + tax. For me, total cost is $7.50
If you buy $1000 of cards (5 total), total cost is $7.50 x 5 = $37.50 + $1000

To convert to MOs, I have to use either WM which limits me to 4 swipes or a grocery which limits me to 1. (I have never used USPS).
If I use WM, I can convert 4 cards to a MO for $800 and pay the $0.79 fee in cash.
Extrapolating to $1000 converted to a MO means I pay $0.99/$1000 converted cards.
So I have paid $37.50 + $0.99 to convert 5 cards having a total of $1000 on them in to a MOs worth $1000.

HOWEVER, the only way to get your 5% back is to convert the $200 FBs to MOs at a FB participating institution. CVS is gone as is Kmart so basically, no way to convert other than buying cardboard meals or shotgun shells (ok, ok throw in some paint ).

Alternative to above is to buy 2 SMGCs at $500 each and convert at WM for a total cost of $7.90 + $0.79 + $1000. Little time spent and total cost is $8.49/$1000

If I bought merchandise at a participating retailer then I will have a $50 balance on my 5 $200 FB GCs but no MO What is the point of that??. I could go and buy another VGC or MCGC at a place which will allow multiple swipes for purchase such as Lowes or Costco. There is an expense to buying and again converting the residual $50 which at a minimum will be $4.95 (plus tax) but again no place to convert to a MO other than a non FB institution which means no FB returned to the card. So I get $50 back (minus MO fee) if I buy merchandise at the correct retailer (or meals or services).

Final assessment. The only way to benefit from this card is to use it as it was meant to be used, for merchandise. I see no reason to purchase one unless you have a large item to buy (such as tires) in which you will get back $25 in credit for every $500 you spend, minus the $3.95 fee.

Without a site to convert your FB card into a MO where you get the bonus, the only reason to using Lowes would be if you have residual FB cards that have not yet been drained.

Math time again.
You have residual $25 FB cards. If you go to Lowes, buy a $200 GC, it will cost you $5.95 or more. Convert it to a MO at WM, add $.79. Get back $10 residual on the remaining cards. Make about $2-3 on a $200 GC.
Or
Go to WM, swipe 4 residual $25 FB and buy a $100 MO for $0.79. Multiply by 2 and it only cost you $1.58.

I work for a living. I think that for time spent, you would do better flipping burgers at Micky D's than playing the FB game.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by macrophage
Credit and Debit both work - you have the option to enter a pin or sign if you cancel
Its really odd. I wonder if its the register I went to. After the second card I swipe the 3rd and the cashier gets a card error message. I try a different 25 same issue. I try a larger denomination 5 Back card that can cover the 155.30 that is left and it goes through fine. No clue what the issue is, maybe I'll try cancel and sign if I encounter that again.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:20 am

I actually profit $17 per $1000 but it's more time consuming now and I use it only to meet minimum spend on CSR MPE Citi AA

I buy amazon gas eBay Target etc gift cards with $25 bonus and drain $1.25 at grocery store

PS. Some 5Bs give error when swiping down. Try swiping up. Always work for me.

Last edited by cashcyclone; Feb 3, 2017 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:35 am

Calling the number on the back of the card, the rep told me K was removed as a FB participant as of 2/1.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:42 am

Its really odd. I wonder if its the register I went to. After the second card I swipe the 3rd and the cashier gets a card error message. I try a different 25 same issue. I try a larger denomination 5 Back card that can cover the 155.30 that is left and it goes through fine. No clue what the issue is, maybe I'll try cancel and sign if I encounter that again.

There have been reports of some mag stripes being printed poorly on the cards recently. The cashier will have to manually enter the card number in and it will go through.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:59 am

Calling the number on the back of the card, the rep told me K was removed as a FB participant as of 2/1.
credits from purchases yesterday worked for me. I suppose we won't know their "pull away" date this time
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
credits from purchases yesterday worked for me. I suppose we won't know their "pull away" date this time
Mine yesterday have not yet posted...

So now we have two conflicting reports:
- One from Simon rep who says through the weekend
- One from Blackhawk rep who gave a date of 2/1

My 2/1 trans have posted, but not 2/2

I'm not going back unless we get a date, but will wait if 2/2 shows up...
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:32 am

There have been reports of some mag stripes being printed poorly on the cards recently. The cashier will have to manually enter the card number in and it will go through.
Yes, I have a couple of those. The cashier told me sometimes you can solve this problem by wrapping your card in plastic bag before swiping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.