FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Back Visa Card(2017)
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:14 pm
Chelski

Originally Posted by radonc1
(The following is only for the FB game (now dead, IMO), not MS in general).
Math time again

At Lowes, each $200 FB card costs $6.95 + tax. For me, total cost is $7.50
If you buy $1000 of cards (5 total), total cost is $7.50 x 5 = $37.50 + $1000

To convert to MOs, I have to use either WM which limits me to 4 swipes or a grocery which limits me to 1. (I have never used USPS).
If I use WM, I can convert 4 cards to a MO for $800 and pay the $0.79 fee in cash.
Extrapolating to $1000 converted to a MO means I pay $0.99/$1000 converted cards.
So I have paid $37.50 + $0.99 to convert 5 cards having a total of $1000 on them in to a MOs worth $1000.

HOWEVER, the only way to get your 5% back is to convert the $200 FBs to MOs at a FB participating institution. CVS is gone as is Kmart so basically, no way to convert other than buying cardboard meals or shotgun shells (ok, ok throw in some paint ).

Alternative to above is to buy 2 SMGCs at $500 each and convert at WM for a total cost of $7.90 + $0.79 + $1000. Little time spent and total cost is $8.49/$1000

If I bought merchandise at a participating retailer then I will have a $50 balance on my 5 $200 FB GCs but no MO What is the point of that??. I could go and buy another VGC or MCGC at a place which will allow multiple swipes for purchase such as Lowes or Costco. There is an expense to buying and again converting the residual $50 which at a minimum will be $4.95 (plus tax) but again no place to convert to a MO other than a non FB institution which means no FB returned to the card. So I get $50 back (minus MO fee) if I buy merchandise at the correct retailer (or meals or services).

Final assessment. The only way to benefit from this card is to use it as it was meant to be used, for merchandise. I see no reason to purchase one unless you have a large item to buy (such as tires) in which you will get back $25 in credit for every $500 you spend, minus the $3.95 fee.

Without a site to convert your FB card into a MO where you get the bonus, the only reason to using Lowes would be if you have residual FB cards that have not yet been drained.

Math time again.
You have residual $25 FB cards. If you go to Lowes, buy a $200 GC, it will cost you $5.95 or more. Convert it to a MO at WM, add $.79. Get back $10 residual on the remaining cards. Make about $2-3 on a $200 GC.
Or
Go to WM, swipe 4 residual $25 FB and buy a $100 MO for $0.79. Multiply by 2 and it only cost you $1.58.

I work for a living. I think that for time spent, you would do better flipping burgers at Micky D's than playing the FB game.
Spot on...