Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The end is Nigh nationwide, unless you're on an island in the Pacific.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:32 am

Reading FT really helps me kick my butt to go out and MS.

Every time I read a negative DP I go out and do it myself. No issues yet.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by buruch
Sorry

Have you successfully used usbmc variables since the metas were shut down?
Originally Posted by sbft77
USB MC (and an OV) still worked for me today, in California. I don't know if the expiration date of the USB MC matters; mine is 01/25, and it's a $500 variable card, bought at a grocery store.
That is good to know. I still don't know what happened with the USB MCGC the other day.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

The USPS I normally hit up just got spooked by some newbie. I do regular 1k MOs once a week along with mailing textbooks. My usual teller just told me there's been a guy who started doing transactions just like me, except a bunch this past week. Dude is doing 5+ 1000 MOs a week, split payments, with "the same exact looking gift cards" Teller says he's gunna file a report. W..t..f. Do I lay off for a while or continue my regular habit? What's less suss? (Located in NYC)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by rg84
yes may be limited to orange county. I gotta try outside of OC.
I am in 626. SG Valley. I only tried 1 PO, my go to one. I haven't tried another. I have been denied by the branch in Monterey Park like 6 months to a 1 year ago. I don't go to the big location /distro in Hacienda Heights either.

So pretty much it all depends on the cashiers, and if they know about the memo. Maybe I'll try small POs.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by dodgery1
The USPS I normally hit up just got spooked by some newbie. I do regular 1k MOs once a week along with mailing textbooks. My usual teller just told me there's been a guy who started doing transactions just like me, except a bunch this past week. Dude is doing 5+ 1000 MOs a week, split payments, with "the same exact looking gift cards" Teller says he's gunna file a report. W..t..f. Do I lay off for a while or continue my regular habit? What's less suss? (Located in NYC)
I think it all depends on how douche the cashier is.

My PO, lady was cool with it. But one day I did too much. I did 3k of MO, and 2 hrs later I came back to do 3k of MO more. That's 6k in one day. The next day I came back, and lady told me the one in charge saw the transactions, and told her not to do that, etc etc. So she said,"yah, let's just stick to 2k max".

I have been doing 2k a day about 4 days a week the past 2-3 months or so because of all the credit cards I signed up.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
I think it all depends on how douche the cashier is.

My PO, lady was cool with it. But one day I did too much. I did 3k of MO, and 2 hrs later I came back to do 3k of MO more. That's 6k in one day. The next day I came back, and lady told me the one in charge saw the transactions, and told her not to do that, etc etc. So she said,"yah, let's just stick to 2k max".

I have been doing 2k a day about 4 days a week the past 2-3 months or so because of all the credit cards I signed up.
Woah i dont think that kind of volume would fly at all in NYC. If the clerk openly said he's going to file a report, I guess that means pretty douche. So should I stop and look irregular, or keep going with my schedule of 1k a week? I think the even split payments really is what triggered this whole thing, its probably a highly unusual request by the subset of the population that legitimately uses debit to by MOs. And paying the fees in cash was the icing on his suspicion cake. The teller didn't ask to see my card until I said split payment, YMMV of course, but in a city where the MS opportunities are razor thin, word of caution.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:56 pm

let him file a report your doing nothing wrong =)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
I am in 626. SG Valley. I only tried 1 PO, my go to one. I haven't tried another. I have been denied by the branch in Monterey Park like 6 months to a 1 year ago. I don't go to the big location /distro in Hacienda Heights either.

So pretty much it all depends on the cashiers, and if they know about the memo. Maybe I'll try small POs.
Yes the big USPS distro in Hacienda Heights sucks too. I haven't been to that branch in a long time ever since that one time they wanted me to fill out the form based on the lady remembering similar transaction amounts. Seriously the USPS staff has got better things to do than worry about this crap.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:53 pm

Woah i dont think that kind of volume would fly at all in NYC. If the clerk openly said he's going to file a report, I guess that means pretty douche. So should I stop and look irregular, or keep going with my schedule of 1k a week? I think the even split payments really is what triggered this whole thing, its probably a highly unusual request by the subset of the population that legitimately uses debit to by MOs. And paying the fees in cash was the icing on his suspicion cake. The teller didn't ask to see my card until I said split payment, YMMV of course, but in a city where the MS opportunities are razor thin, word of caution.
1k a week? Man....it will take forever. I had to complete about 40k worth for all my credit cards, it would have taken forever.

A yr ago or so, when I went to the Hacienda Heights, CA main location (depot), some cashiers didn't ask quesiton when I did 500-1k. Then there was this one douche cashier. Asked for my id, went to the back office, then sold me the MO. After that, I don't bother coming back.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
The end is Nigh nationwide, unless you're on an island in the Pacific.
except all the vanilla MCs on an island in the pacific are either wiped out or non-existant....tell me where they are.....
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I liquidated 6 vanillas at 3 different POs yesterday no sweat.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jags86
I liquidated 6 vanillas at 3 different POs yesterday no sweat.
Location please
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:01 am

Yesterday (Friday), came into my usual USPS in MA.. the clerk who knows exactly what I am doing and say it's not illegal and she is MSing too, told me that she vaguely saw a memo to not allow buying MO with VGC anymore.. I assume the memo she received is similar to the one posted the other day (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28202809-post544.html).

She ran into the back and hop on the computer when I was at the counter to check and she couldn't find it (she was on vacation and just got back). She ended up letting me unload my $2k of cards and I sat there and chit chat with her (she is the only one at this PO and I was the only customer).

She say they may not let her split tender anymore and may want us to do one MO per card to collect the additional fees.. but she is unsure. She is going to talk to her Postmaster about it who is aware of MSing and MO.. I told her I would pop in and check with her next week before I go buy more OV..
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Are you at the Upper East side?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.