Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtav559
And I have thought this for a long time. Not many folks can just front 10k for VGC's to give as gifts, sit at home in the safe, use at leisure.

And I will keep plugging away, happily giving them my 3.95 card transaction fee
And we never use the phony "budget tool" on the form. Just plain old "Personal Use".

I only wish our mall would give choco instead of just mints. Though at Xmas time if the mall has little give away gifts, they always give us those on our first visit when such gifts became available. I think last year it was a very heavy ceramic mug, while nicely done, we have absolutely no use for such. It would be nicer to just give us small box of Godiva instead.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
And we never use the phony "budget tool" on the form. Just plain old "Personal Use".
Yep. I always write "personal use" as well on the intended use line and have never had any issues.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My Simon mall has been using the term gamer for over one year.
When I ask one of the clerks, how is business, she mentions that gift card sales are down since Amex changed the rules.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by tuphat
@jtav559 -- I regularly buy cards at two different Simon properties, and have had great experiences with both the desk staff and the managers. My sense is that most (not all) the Simon folks with whom I've dealt know about MS-ing. And I have heard them refer to "gamers" on occasion, but with a more-or-less neutral tone. I think one point of distinction is that "gamers" can't buy $1000 cards, while those with corporate accounts (like me) can.

I usually have a conversation with the desk person, about the weather, traffic, etc., but I try & steer clear about my buying purpose, business, etc. I fill out the forms accurately & neatly.

My overall impression is that Simon, from a corporate perspective, generally welcomes GC customers of all stripes, as long as they're not jerks. The VRU at the mall nearest me even answers the phone: "Welcome to _____, home of the Simon Gift Card."

P.S. "Does the form have much value?" Although there may not be much up-front review, my sense is that someone in the back office looks at them. Also, I think they are used for control purposes, for the "loose"cards in the GSR's money bag, which I think they have to account for.
I think they do track the cards. My SM had a CSR who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (she's been fired since). On two occasions she gave me an extra, unactivated card, and they did ask me to return them.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Simon purchase regardless where you buy, does NOT work for bonus of any kind, including spend bonus, since mid 2017.
This is AMEX only, is that right? Or are other banks doing this as well?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by GertieGo
This is AMEX only, is that right? Or are other banks doing this as well?
I saw someone alluded that Chase had started doing the same thing, but I've been able to meet spend req't for Marriott card with Simon Visas without issue this month.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:25 am

Simon still should work for 1x spend
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by macrophage
Simon still should work for 1x spend
I have been using my Amex Blue BP @ Simon for 2X Points since the launch of this product. Statement closed on the 19th and still got 2X Points. Other than to meet minimum spending, why would you go to Simon for 1X Points.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
I have been using my Amex Blue BP @ Simon for 2X Points since the launch of this product. Statement closed on the 19th and still got 2X Points. Other than to meet minimum spending, why would you go to Simon for 1X Points.
SPG at $75 per ~10k is still worth it to me
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
True, that is the only Card worth the 1X Points @ Simon, that is until the end of this year, because if Marriott kills SPG, it is going to be a sad story. Such an amazing program with points conversion on almost all big airlines. Technically, it is a 3X Marriott Points Card
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
True, that is the only Card worth the 1X Points @ Simon, that is until the end of this year, because if Marriott kills SPG, it is going to be a sad story. Such an amazing program with points conversion on almost all big airlines. Technically, it is a 3X Marriott Points Card
Yep - those "travel packages" make it worth it for me!

Also, I'll need to earn Platinum this year via award stays on SPG as the merger closes in.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How could you get it at $75? Before liquidation cost it is already $79 for 10K...

That said, it is $100 for us but it is still worth it for the Marriott TP and just for the 1 to 3 Marriott pts - which makes the Cat 9 properties at $150 cost - a steal for properties in some of the major cities in the world.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: All of them
It's really $200 for $10k points, since you could have done the same MS on a 2x card, or even better on 3x Discover promo. I've never seen hotel redemptions come even close to 1-1.5x unless you really think the overpriced US chains are worth their asking prices. I suppose it could be worth it for the miles transfer, as you earn 1.25x but even then, with award availability lately and rising award charts, it's hard to jusitfy.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Mar 29, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by poisson
Does Simon Mall count towards AMEX minimum spend if they are purchased at the mall in person? I've read that some people have trouble buying online.
Yes they do, but be careful with AMEX. My AMEX got shut down because they suspected MS. Just stay within your credit limit, dont over pay and be able to justify the purchases if they ask and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It's really $200 for $10k points, since you could have done the same MS on a 2x card, or even better on 3x Discover promo. I've never seen hotel redemptions come even close to 1-1.5x unless you really think the overpriced US chains are worth their asking prices. I suppose it could be worth it for the miles transfer, as you earn 1.25x but even then, with award availability lately and rising award charts, it's hard to jusitfy.
I'd say SPG Cat 1/2 offers can get you 2x+ pretty easily, esp with lower wknd rates, but overall I agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.