Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:34 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Anyone else run into an issue recently where they've started insisting on giving you the little paper card holders? The head cashier person at my Simon (Fashion Center in Arlington, VA) was recently replaced and the new one has been making everyone hand them out and are quite insistent that I take them with me even though I just throw them away immediately. She is convinced that "it's a legal requirement" and by the book Simon mall corporate policy that they have to make you take them. I am highly skeptical of the first claim and only slightly less so of the second.
yep, they always do this at my mall. Once I even handed her back the holders before I left the office, but she insisted that she could not accept them, so I dumped them in the trash can right outside the office door, madness
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by soy
yep, they always do this at my mall. Once I even handed her back the holders before I left the office, but she insisted that she could not accept them, so I dumped them in the trash can right outside the office door, madness
I believe that each card jacket contains a sheet of paper holding the legal information on the card and that this probably has something to do with legal liability for the seller to insure that the buyer has all the terms and conditions of the card they are buying.
So if you buy 5 cards, there needs to be a separate legal documents supplied for each card. The mall (seller) satisfies that condition by supplying a card jacket filled with the document for each card sold. So I suspect that there was some truth to the clerk's claim that there was a legal requirement for supplying these jackets to the buyer.

BTW, they have always insisted on doing so with me and sometimes they even go so far as to put each card in its jacket..
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by soy
Lawyers generally advise the most conservative approach on consumer disclosures, esp. in this case where they're already preprinted, etc. Why should Simon take a risk of not complying w/ it Blackhawk contract, applicable laws, etc.? Buyers should go with the flow, make a green fund donation if you feel guilty about killing trees.

Also maybe remember that the trees this paper is made from were planted specifically to make paper .. not talking about old growth forest.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briang191

He's serious. the policy is each gift card should be placed inside one a paper holder. It use to bother me but I just let the employee do his or her job. Some locations follow the rule some do not.
Yes. It depends on the instruction from the manager of the mall, especially if a new one comes on board. It is because the disclosure is stuck inside the packet. By law each card sold needs to have legal disclosure leaflet.

Some cashiers are much more stickler while others are more relaxed. We got down to the compromise with one cashier who now gives us only one packet for however many cards we bought. It used to be one card per packet and needed to be put in! Now she just wrote the per card amount on the packet and one packet only. The other cashier used common sense and just rubberbanded the cards.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:19 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here but:

Last year in December my wife's Delta MQD waiver balance was showing a huge discrepancy from my actual spend. I ended up figuring out that Simon Mall Purchases weren't counting towards it, similar to AMEX signup bonuses. I had enough non-Simon purchases to clear it and they posted before I had a chance to test if Simon was posting late or not at all.
<fast forward to 2018>
I made 1 Simon Mall purchase on my card and the first week of January and then sock-drawered my card to test it out.
As of today, 3 weeks after my purchase and 2 weeks after my statement closed, my 2018 MQD waiver is still showing I've spent $0.
My MilesBoost threshold bonus status on my statement however, does count the spend.

So what I've learned is 2 things:
A. It is extremely likely that Simon Mall no longer counts towards the Delta MQD Waiver.
B. The Delta MQD Waiver appears to be a litmus test for what will count towards AMEX signup bonuses, as they appear to follow the same rules.

On the off chance that something is simply off with my account, I made >$1000 in purchases in the past few days, if those end up triggering my status to update to "$3-4k" (unlikely), I will update this post.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by shipitkthx

Last year in December my wife's Delta MQD waiver balance was showing a huge discrepancy from my actual spend. I ended up figuring out that Simon Mall Purchases weren't counting towards it, similar to AMEX signup bonuses. I had enough non-Simon purchases to clear it and they posted before I had a chance to test if Simon was posting late or not at all.
<fast forward to 2018>
I made 1 Simon Mall purchase on my card and the first week of January and then sock-drawered my card to test it out.
As of today, 3 weeks after my purchase and 2 weeks after my statement closed, my 2018 MQD waiver is still showing I've spent $0.
My MilesBoost threshold bonus status on my statement however, does count the spend.

A. It is extremely likely that Simon Mall no longer counts towards the Delta MQD Waiver.
B. The Delta MQD Waiver appears to be a litmus test for what will count towards AMEX signup bonuses, as they appear to follow the same rules.

On the off chance that something is simply off with my account, I made >$1000 in purchases in the past few days, if those end up triggering my status to update to "$3-4k" (unlikely), I will update this post.
i have noticed this same thing. Glad to hear it still counts for MQMs but I am going to need to rethink my strategy.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. It depends on the instruction from the manager of the mall, especially if a new one comes on board. It is because the disclosure is stuck inside the packet. By law each card sold needs to have legal disclosure leaflet.

Some cashiers are much more stickler while others are more relaxed. We got down to the compromise with one cashier who now gives us only one packet for however many cards we bought. It used to be one card per packet and needed to be put in! Now she just wrote the per card amount on the packet and one packet only. The other cashier used common sense and just rubberbanded the cards.
The only time I get stuck with the packets is if it's around Christmas, or the person is brand new. All the cashiers that recognize me, or recognize the game just rubber band the cards by default.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP

<fast forward to 2018>

It seems that Amex reporting to DL is significantly delayed now. I’m not sure when this started, as I hit the waiver early last year, but I’ve heard from others that it hasn’t updated in months. These are folks who aren’t buying GCs at all.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Carl
It seems that Amex reporting to DL is significantly delayed now. I’m not sure when this started, as I hit the waiver early last year, but I’ve heard from others that it hasn’t updated in months. These are folks who aren’t buying GCs at all.
That would be fantastic if true, however my DP from my wife's account still applies. I guess I'll know for sure when my normal purchases update.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The only time I get stuck with the packets is if it's around Christmas, or the person is brand new. All the cashiers that recognize me, or recognize the game just rubber band the cards by default.
My mall also rubber bands the cards and then throws into the bag the correct number of sleeves as well as the cards.

I always walk out with sleeves. Most of the times, they are cardless, but the last time I bought, each sleeve was filled with a card.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Again, this is mall specific.

One's experience is completely independent from the other person's experience. Even different malls in the same city would have different policy, and more often than not, different cashier at the same mall has different practice. I can tell you that at our mall we can just phone in the orders and go pick them up but one cashier still insists to give us one packet with the per card value written on it. On top of that she would fill out some areas of the form, then marked the areas to be filled out by us. Never fail despite she has been there the last 2 years. It has NOTHING to do with whether she knows us or not. Of course she knows us, but she wants to stick with what she is told what to do from the day she started working there. At least now she does not do one card per packet. lol, Oh yeah, she calls people like us :"gamers" so it is not like she does not recognize the game.

Oh, she is also the one who would NOT take a "chip malfunction" card the second time. But our other cashier would not only try again (often work) but also take an actual declined card after the card was cleared. Thar my friend, is technically against the mall's policy, but the other cashier would do it. Same mall, 2 cashiers, one is a stickler and the other is not. What can I say?

Therefore, discussion on how one's mall handles things is of very little value as it is highly localized and 100% YMMV.

My take? Just accept how each cashier would like to do her own thing.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<fast forward to 2018>

My hunch is, SM does not count towards ANY bonus type, but continues to earn regular spending pts/miles. MQD may be classified by AMEX as some form of bonus (qualifying for elites) but for $1 per mile earning, it still counts. The reason I make this assumption is, on the SPG, it would not earn any targeted bonus offer such as statement credit after crossing some monthly spending threshold, but it continues earning the 1x SPG pt. It has absolutely nothing to do with Level 3 data as some bloggers clueless speculated - because spend at OD and at BBY during promotions that offset the fees, earn bonus despite Level 3 data. So I would speculate that it is the BIN of SMGC that is used to identify the transaction by the system, to exclude from bonus earning.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:07 am

My hunch is, SM does not count towards ANY bonus type, but continues to earn regular spending pts/miles. MQD may be classified by AMEX as some form of bonus (qualifying for elites) but for $1 per mile earning, it still counts. The reason I make this assumption is, on the SPG, it would not earn any targeted bonus offer such as statement credit after crossing some monthly spending threshold, but it continues earning the 1x SPG pt. It has absolutely nothing to do with Level 3 data as some bloggers clueless speculated - because spend at OD and at BBY during promotions that offset the fees, earn bonus despite Level 3 data. So I would speculate that it is the BIN of SMGC that is used to identify the transaction by the system, to exclude from bonus earning.
Agreed, however it does continue to count towards Annual Threshold Bonuses (Delta MilesBoost, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, etc.)

Last edited by shipitkthx; Jan 26, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:11 pm

When the card was declined, how should the screen look like?

Had similar experience at a Publix last week. The first transaction went thru with split payments albeit each payment took forever to go thru. The second transaction it went all the way to No Cash Back. Then instead of Processing, the screen reverted back to the original screen before card swipe. I blurted out "What happened?" Cashier did not say card declined. She took a look and told me to do it again. Tried again, same thing happened. She asked, "Was it the same card?" Tried a different card, same thing happened. I could not determine whether it was a communication error (the first transaction took exceptionally long time to clear each card, 3 were used), or the cashier deliberately canceled the 2nd transaction. I ruled out cashier error as it was single card. The 2 cards worked just fine 30 min later at a different Publix.
I got "Not Authorized" on the screen after selecting no Cash back and entering pin. I suspect she was trying to run it for $500.89 even though she said $500.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by nmp0
I got "Not Authorized" on the screen after selecting no Cash back and entering pin. I suspect she was trying to run it for $500.89 even though she said $500.
That is likely what it is. I'm wary of one cashier at WM who does this all the time when I pay the fee in cash. While most would input the fee paid leaving the balance $1000 before I start swiping my DCs, I tell cashier to input $500 on my debit and he'd say yes but right after, a small slip of paper with error 51 comes up which means there is not enough funds on the DC. I dismissed it initially but have since realized he is deliberately sabotaging the transaction since he did it again another time. When it's just him at the register, I just pay my WM CC with $500, no fee and all is taken out of one DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.