Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmp0
I got "Not Authorized" on the screen after selecting no Cash back and entering pin. I suspect she was trying to run it for $500.89 even though she said $500.
That is a decline alright and most likely cashier error as you suspected. That is the reason I dont bother to pay the fee separately for very long time now. It complicates the transaction (extra steps in handling the payment) and does not seem to serve any purpose because let's be honest, the Publix folks KNOW what this is - some store managements dont think it is a big deal as long as your transactions never cause any issue, and you do not go over the reporting threshold. Some store managements would put a limit on how many cards could use each visit. Yet some store managements are like WalMart, thinking you are of no good. Given there are so many Publix around, just go to those that are friendly.

I still cannot figure out what has caused the scenario I experienced as that was the first time I saw a Publix POS behaved this way. Guess next visit I would find out if it is a deliberate act or connection failure.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 26, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Not sure if this has been posted here but:

Last year in December my wife's Delta MQD waiver balance was showing a huge discrepancy from my actual spend. I ended up figuring out that Simon Mall Purchases weren't counting towards it, similar to AMEX signup bonuses. I had enough non-Simon purchases to clear it and they posted before I had a chance to test if Simon was posting late or not at all.
<fast forward to 2018>
I made 1 Simon Mall purchase on my card and the first week of January and then sock-drawered my card to test it out.
As of today, 3 weeks after my purchase and 2 weeks after my statement closed, my 2018 MQD waiver is still showing I've spent $0.
My MilesBoost threshold bonus status on my statement however, does count the spend.

So what I've learned is 2 things:
A. It is extremely likely that Simon Mall no longer counts towards the Delta MQD Waiver.
B. The Delta MQD Waiver appears to be a litmus test for what will count towards AMEX signup bonuses, as they appear to follow the same rules.

On the off chance that something is simply off with my account, I made >$1000 in purchases in the past few days, if those end up triggering my status to update to "$3-4k" (unlikely), I will update this post.
Well my status has updated. My purchases made well after my Simon purchases are counting and Simon still is not. So I can 100% confirm: Simon Mall DOES NOT count towards Delta MQD Waivers.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:26 am

Well my status has updated. My purchases made well after my Simon purchases are counting and Simon still is not. So I can 100% confirm: Simon Mall DOES NOT count towards Delta MQD Waivers.
This sucks as my last few thousand dollars spend in November never updated my MQD waiver for 2017 yet CSRs kept assuring me that I have indeed met the spend and it should reflect soon, even until now, and currently some senior team is taking a look at why it didn't update - should find out soon, hopefully they honor it as they kept assuring me. Would suck to lose the 20k MQMs rollover.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Agreed, however it does continue to count towards Annual Threshold Bonuses (Delta MilesBoost, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, etc.)
This is generally disappointing news. I wonder how this will work towards the new Ascend $15k annual spend for a free night. There doesn’t seem to be a way to see the progress one has made towards that, although perhaps there will be a tracker.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl

This is generally disappointing news. I wonder how this will work towards the new Ascend $15k annual spend for a free night. There doesn’t seem to be a way to see the progress one has made towards that, although perhaps there will be a tracker.
I would NOT count on it. Enough DPs show that it will earn regular points, but does not work on ANY bonuses earned either thru targeted offer or card benefits such as the MQM or as you wonder, the annual free night. You do not want to waste the MS slot and cost on something the probability of failure outcome is very high.

One way people found out the spend did not count toward any bonus earning is thru the chat reps who can see from its internal system on how much you have spent towards a certain benefit / bonus promotion. When DPs reported all show the reps numbers DID NOT agree with your own tally, and the missing portion was from SM. You can draw the conclusion, pretty conclusively. no pun intended.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I would NOT count on it. Enough DPs show that it will earn regular points, but does not work on ANY bonuses earned either thru targeted offer or card benefits such as the MQM or as you wonder, the annual free night. You do not want to waste the MS slot and cost on something the probability of failure outcome is very high.

One way people found out the spend did not count toward any bonus earning is thru the chat reps who can see from its internal system on how much you have spent towards a certain benefit / bonus promotion. When DPs reported all show the reps numbers DID NOT agree with your own tally, and the missing portion was from SM. You can draw the conclusion, pretty conclusively. no pun intended.
So far it is still counting for any threshold bonus that is tracked on your monthly statement, examples: Delta MilesBoost, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, etc. Not sure if the free night tracks the same way or not.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far it is still counting for any threshold bonus that is tracked on your monthly statement, examples: Delta MilesBoost, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, etc. Not sure if the free night tracks the same way or not.
My theory is, when the threshold "bonus" does not cost AMEX anything, it counts - such as SPG Gold and HH Diamond. Personally though I dont consider those are "bonuses".

When the threshold bonus costs AMEX anything, it does not count, for example such as $30 statement credit on $3K spend each month for 6 consecutive months up to $180 statement credit in total on the SPG Biz - SM definitely is not included in the count.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My theory is, when the threshold "bonus" does not cost AMEX anything, it counts - such as SPG Gold and HH Diamond. Personally though I dont consider those are "bonuses".

When the threshold bonus costs AMEX anything, it does not count, for example such as $30 statement credit on $3K spend each month for 6 consecutive months up to $180 statement credit in total on the SPG Biz - SM definitely is not included in the count.

Delta MilesBoost costs AMEX 15k skymiles for $30k spend on the Reserve and it still counts.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta MilesBoost costs AMEX 15k skymiles for $30k spend on the Reserve and it still counts.
In this case I would chalk it up to AMEX is not thorough in tweaking its Algorithm, as it should not count if it does not count for the $30 statement credit on the SPG Biz card as cited.
Another twist to look at it, if DL mile is worth 1c, (a very far fetch assumption), 15K on $30K spend would be $150 or 0.5% of $30K spend. $30 statement credit on $3K spend would be 1% of $3K spend - may be there is a threshold to cut off the eligibility? Who knows. In any case I would consider the DL 15K mileboost a luck break.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
A couple of weeks ago, I made one Simon mall purchase for my Delta MQM waiver. So far the spend hasn't shown up on my Delta card spend.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
My MQD Waiver had been stuck at $1-$2k with a 15Jan18 date. It updated this morning (3Feb18) to show $2-$3k with a 1Feb18 date. So yeah, definitely some shenanigans happening here.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Several dozen
If those bank rats are running around again, can someone please paper the AMEX offices with some Rat Glue Traps? It is very unsanitary to have loose rats in any bank.

Originally Posted by Carl
My MQD Waiver had been stuck at $1-$2k with a 15Jan18 date. It updated this morning (3Feb18) to show $2-$3k with a 1Feb18 date. So yeah, definitely some shenanigans happening here.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by neal11
This sucks as my last few thousand dollars spend in November never updated my MQD waiver for 2017 yet CSRs kept assuring me that I have indeed met the spend and it should reflect soon, even until now, and currently some senior team is taking a look at why it didn't update - should find out soon, hopefully they honor it as they kept assuring me. Would suck to lose the 20k MQMs rollover.
Update and interesting counter DP: After several calls to Delta and Amex and escalations, Delta.com reflected my last years card spend as $25k+ yesterday, elite status updated this morning (interestingly it says "Current Status: FEB 05 2018 — JAN 31 2019") and just got my rollover MQMs as well. I had about $5k of Simon Mall charges in November and late October which didn't get accounted for as DL card spend until now.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by neal11
Update and interesting counter DP: After several calls to Delta and Amex and escalations, Delta.com reflected my last years card spend as $25k+ yesterday, elite status updated this morning (interestingly it says "Current Status: FEB 05 2018 — JAN 31 2019") and just got my rollover MQMs as well. I had about $5k of Simon Mall charges in November and late October which didn't get accounted for as DL card spend until now.
Interesting indeed. Perhaps they’ve indeed designed the automated system to exclude certain merchants, but upon manual review they can clearly see you did make the spend and therefore credited you accordingly. I look forward to more DPs like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:40 pm

So need around 50k spend on Hilton Honors points for a big vacation in summer. Is SM GCs still a valid and can it be liquidated at WM for MO? This can be all done in 6-10 trips and then liquidates as MO. Is this too ambitious ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.