Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Because I'm able to comprehend the OP's shutdown letter. The OP's letter clearly stated that the transaction numbers were a flag. But please, USE ROUND NUMBERS!
You're able to zero in on a single line and ignore the context, and in so doing misread the message. Your speculation is not fact, it's stubbornness.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who doesn't load any type of prepaid card with round numbers?

Why would you ever do otherwise, unless you're down to your last change, or you had a specific purchase in mind?

Round numbers to load anything are likely the norm.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Outside blog shutdown letters (2) plus response #10.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....bird-accounts/

All mention round numbers as one reason why the account was shut down. For those of you who want to continue to use round numbers and quickly unload your loads, I encourage that behavior. You're the low hanging fruit that will divert Target's attention for a couple more months.
They mention two things -- money in and money out in the same amounts. You ignore the second part as if they're not at all tied together. Strange thinking.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
so do they not want us to use the BP feature?

ex. I owe $230.20 on my credit card/phone/insurance/student loan but I only have $200 right now, so I load $200 then BP immediately because it's due.

that will throw up flags because 1. it's a round amount and 2. I BP'd immediately....?

Isnt this card made for people who don't have much cash on hand?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Silver lining?

Trying to take the optimistic view... If this letter is real, it basically says Target and Amex collectively discovered that they were being gamed by manufactured spenders and decided to take action.

It would have been substantially easier for them to simply say, effectively immediately, no more credit card loads on Redbird, than it would be to try to ferret out the "bad actors" by looking at transaction history. Just like CVS did with Vanilla reloads, etc.

That would suggest that the ability to load with a credit card is likely to continue, at least for those who can avoid their "suspicious activity" algorithm.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by dcflyergreg
Trying to take the optimistic view... If this letter is real, it basically says Target and Amex collectively discovered that they were being gamed by manufactured spenders and decided to take action.

It would have been substantially easier for them to simply say, effectively immediately, no more credit card loads on Redbird, than it would be to try to ferret out the "bad actors" by looking at transaction history. Just like CVS did with Vanilla reloads, etc.

That would suggest that the ability to load with a credit card is likely to continue, at least for those who can avoid their "suspicious activity" algorithm.
Lol, they will hard code it in to the system, llike Wm. Just take time and their outsourced Indian IT team.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
They mention two things -- money in and money out in the same amounts. You ignore the second part as if they're not at all tied together. Strange thinking.
I'm not ignoring it; it's just that no one is claiming that quickly withdrawing money from RB is a flag. If someone was dumb enough to argue that withdrawing your money quickly from RB wasn't a flag, I'd make the same comments to them.

There are two flags that are being addressed. The first flag involves round numbers - $500, $750, $1000. It's not 'money in' - it's exact round numbers in. Strange thinking that you and several others ignore the first flag.

In summary, two flags noted in almost all letters:
1) Round numbers ($500, $750, $1000) in.
2) Money quickly withdrawn.
No one is arguing about flag #2; failure to acknowledge flag #1 by some is baffling.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
Lol, they will hard code it in to the system, llike Wm. Just take time and their outsourced Indian IT team.
Then why bother shutting specific people down if you're planning to shut everyone down ASAP? That would be a total waste of time. I think it's far more likely that they're shutting specific people down because they aren't willing to hard code "no credit cards" into the system. And that's good news if I'm right...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by indelible

ex. I owe $230.20 on my credit card/phone/insurance/student loan but I only have $200 right now, so I load $200 then BP immediately because it's due.

that will throw up flags because 1. it's a round amount and 2. I BP'd immediately....?

Uh.... Yeah...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by dcflyergreg
Then why bother shutting specific people down if you're planning to shut everyone down ASAP? That would be a total waste of time. I think it's far more likely that they're shutting specific people down because they aren't willing to hard code "no credit cards" into the system. And that's good news if I'm right...
You can keep rationaling, but from what I know about target corp and their IT team. They are ran by a lot contractors that are not on top of their game.

Also, I would want to know how many tgt team members are "using" this card.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the OP has 1271 posts.

Anyone want to vouch for him/her?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

They want people to make a lot of purchases at Target. While you're making a deposit to pay your water bill, you pick up the next week's groceries at a 5% discount. And maybe some socks, clothes, etc.

When I started buying VRs from CVS, I was amazed at how many people bought groceries, etc at CVS. To stereotype, it was a lot of poor people who seemed to fit the average Walmart customer. Target's just trying to poach others' market share.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:37 pm

Forging an email is trivial.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 pm

This is exactly what I have always thought - about BB, RB, Serve, etc.

If you are carrying balances on credit cards you have, living paycheck to paycheck, just barely getting by (like the expected consumer for these products) - you would very likely be loading money and then immediately paying those same funds out. You would also likely pay even numbers for many bills.

What I think does raise red flags is $1k + $1k + $500 in rapid succession. Or, in the case of BB / Serve 500 x 5 using gift cards. This is easy to spot and is the signature of someone "abusing" the system.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:50 pm

If you all believe AmEx would put their discovery mechanism in the email, you would be mistaken.

Their internal system picked up on some behavior based on some undisclosed rules, and put the account into a queue. A human takes a look, decide that the computer was right, and then grabbed the boilerplate template with 2-4 pre-approved reasons, and picked whatever was closest to what the analyst decided to be the abusive behavior.

Over time, they can improve those rules based on new understanding, but still use the same bad template language. They can even run the rules on past transaction history at any time.

So to the folks that says "it hasn't happened to me yet!" Computers are like elephants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.