Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Why do folks unload immediately?
I don't like having money tied up in a place I don't trust. Remember those website issues last week? What if the site was down for a week and it was time to pay your CC bill?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Why do folks unload immediately? Mind you I've not had the card for as long as many, but even when it came to other techniques, I always waited until the end of the month to unload anyway. Part of it was convenience - mortgage and car payment are due first of the month - but part of it just seemed to make sense. I figured Amex would probably want to have the float for just a little longer than 24 hours. I've tried to frontload the loading, and then billpay what I haven't spent toward the end of the month.

I do load 500/1000 at a time, but I don't immediately take it out. I've also avoided doing the 1000/500/1000 in a day technique, although I did once do back to back 1000 swipes. I also do some shopping at Target each time I go and use the card for that - not huge in the grand scheme, but it is, you know, a Target card and they might prefer you use it for its intended purpose every once in a while.
You clearly don't understand the game. Billpay what you haven't spent? You spent money to load the card.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I don't like having money tied up in a place I don't trust. Remember those website issues last week? What if the site was down for a week and it was time to pay your CC bill?
Which brings back the argument of.....

Don't float money you can't afford to float.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
You clearly don't understand the game. Billpay what you haven't spent? You spent money to load the card.
Im pretty sure he means bill pay the money that he didnt use for Target spending that is on his redcard.

For instance load $5k throughout the month. Spend $100-$200/month on groceries et al at Target.

Bill pay the remaining $4k to various places (mortgage, rent, different CCs, electric bill, etc).

Im guessing the bigger issue is people loading $1k and then going home and billpaying the $1k the same day.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Are you serious? Did you read the letter. It states EXACTLY why his account was flagged. Two reasons.
One was: "Repeated suspicious activity on your account has been documented as follows:

Register "Cash" Reloads in $1000 or $500 increments"

It doesn't get much clearer than that.
If you trust their stated reasons.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:20 pm

For those that are getting the cancellation email, were you among the folks that had issues back in late February with the system down fiasco?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Navybones
Im pretty sure he means bill pay the money that he didnt use for Target spending that is on his redcard.

For instance load $5k throughout the month. Spend $100-$200/month on groceries et al at Target.

Bill pay the remaining $4k to various places (mortgage, rent, different CCs, electric bill, etc).

Im guessing the bigger issue is people loading $1k and then going home and billpaying the $1k the same day.
they shouldn't have the billpay option if the don't want us using it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by indelible
they shouldn't have the billpay option if the don't want us using it.
Maybe they want us using it in moderation. If you unload 100% through billpay, how can they make money?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
I call BS. One person claims to have received this email, and the only corroboration comes from an FT account created today? Not convinced.

Think someone is trying to play a not-actually-that-funny joke here.
I'm with you on this one. All of the emails I've received from AMEX are similar, but do not have the circled (r) after RedCard like his email.

BS ^
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by italdesign
If you trust their stated reasons.
I don't use even numbers because it's a flag for Chase, based on several fraud alert conversations. They went something like this: 'Even numbers usually mean you're buying gift cards, which triggers our fraud alerts.' I heard this several times while trying to get rid of fraud alerts. I admitted nothing but started using odd numbers. At a minimum, it keeps Chase off of my back. I want to keep my Chase credit cards after RB's shut down, which is likely to happen before the summer.

If using odd numbers keeps me temporarily under Target's radar, that's a bonus.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 pm

Why does the copyright section at the bottom of the email read “© 2014 .. ” instead of “© 2015 …” since we are in 2015 already?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Im guilty of loading 1K, 1K and 0.5K but I have kept money in the card for like a month and paying odd amounts of bill for various cards and a mix of $400, only twice along with some target purchases.

Imma gonna lay low for a while and keep the money there longer.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

When Amazon Payments was alive, some folks did A to B and B to A, some did A to B to C to A, some logged in through different ip addresses, some did $1K in and $1K out, some used odd numbers . . . . While some people got shut down early, the whole thing died because too many people were using it to MS, and it cost Amazon too much money. Redbird is going to be the same way. It certainly makes sense to try to avoid the biggest of the red flags, but I wouldn't count on this lasting much longer no matter how you use it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I'm with you on this one. All of the emails I've received from AMEX are similar, but do not have the circled (r) after RedCard like his email.

BS ^
My last deposit email has the circle r in two of four spots.

Hello xxxxx,
Thank you for adding money to your Target Prepaid REDcard® Account. The money is now available in your Account.

Here are the details:

Amount: $xxxx
Date Initiated: xxxx
Transaction: xxxxx

Simply sign in to your Prepaid REDcard Account to see your account balance.

Thanks,

Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
When Amazon Payments was alive, some folks did A to B and B to A, some did A to B to C to A, some logged in through different ip addresses, some did $1K in and $1K out, some used odd numbers . . . . While some people got shut down early, the whole thing died because too many people were using it to MS, and it cost Amazon too much money. Redbird is going to be the same way. It certainly makes sense to try to avoid the biggest of the red flags, but I wouldn't count on this lasting much longer no matter how you use it.
^ Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.