Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I don't care about the copyright date. If this was real, a heck of a lot more than 2 people on flyertalk and other sites would be posting about it
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
If the e-mail were real it would violate FINCEN requirements, not to let the client know that a SAR has been filed/why. A real bank, particularly one as large as Amex would not reveal their reporting/closure thresholds.
Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the terms and conditions allow them to shut it down whenever they want.

But, let's say you are correct. Are you going to go after them? What are you going to say? Hey, let me back in and keep doing what I was doing in clear violations of the T&Cs of the program? Let me know how it turns out.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by dlandz
I don't care about the copyright date. If this was real, a heck of a lot more than 2 people on flyertalk and other sites would be posting about it
Well, we don't know how many have been shut down, how many of the shutees use Flyer Talk, how many of them would even care to share.

What's the magic number of posts you need in order to be convinced?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred
Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the terms and conditions allow them to shut it down whenever they want.

But, let's say you are correct. Are you going to go after them? What are you going to say? Hey, let me back in and keep doing what I was doing in clear violations of the T&Cs of the program? Let me know how it turns out.
I don't think you understand the crux of my argument. I'm arguing that the e-mail is fake.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:47 pm

I don't think you understand the crux of my argument. I'm arguing that the e-mail is fake.
I know with 100% certainty that the email is not fake.

If the e-mail were real it would violate FINCEN requirements, not to let the client know that a SAR has been filed/why. A real bank, particularly one as large as Amex would not reveal their reporting/closure thresholds.
This has nothing to do with filing a SAR. There's no indication or reason to believe Amex finds this behavior suspicious or criminal. It's simply behavior that cuts into their profitability.

I don't see how it would be a violation in this case, since the "e-mail" says nothing about filing a SAR.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred
Well, we don't know how many have been shut down, how many of the shutees use Flyer Talk, how many of them would even care to share.

What's the magic number of posts you need in order to be convinced?
If they don't use flyertalk, they use other sites of which would pick up and share. There is no magic number, but there is no rate of flow occurring here
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by dlandz
If they don't use flyertalk, they use other sites of which would pick up and share. There is no magic number, but there is no rate of flow occurring here
It's the first day. I guess time will tell...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Someone post a screenshot of what it looks like when you try to log in?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
And $999.99 is safer than $999.00
I suggest using prime numbers, $900.23

I don't have RB but always load $200 on Serve... Until last month, all $500 amounts. :-(
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Does this mean that the same might happen to Serve too?...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:11 pm

I don't think the number matters much from Target/Amex point of view, $900 vs $938.74. They can easily see the uneven numbers add to $5000. But, if I wanted to use my Chase Sapphire card, then I would want the charges to look as legit as possible and not $800, $750, $1000, etc.. Those numbers could very much look like gift cards or cash loads which are not eligible for bonus categories on most cards' T&Cs.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Does this mean that the same might happen to Serve too?...
I don't use Serve, but I don't see why it would. Hasn't Serve been around for a long time? If it were a bigger issue, wouldn't that have been targeted first?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I suggest using prime numbers, $900.23

I don't have RB but always load $200 on Serve... Until last month, all $500 amounts. :-(
Or a prime number divided by 3...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.