Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
The irony of all this is that this new fear of being shut down makes me think I should engage in the exact behavior I know I should be avoiding (i.e., instant draining)!
This is the last thing you should do. Past behavior will decide whether or not you get shut down. Either you've cleared the algorithm or your email is on the way. You drain now and you provide one more black mark on the next pass.

What you should do is run to Target and start buying stuff. Surely, you need toilet paper, Tide, Ben & Jerry's, notebook paper, school supplies... SOMETHING. Then do it again tomorrow.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:59 pm

If I were going to code up an algorithm to catch abuse, and I firmly believe a computer is doing a first pass, there are way too many accounts to go through by hand, I would start with two criteria. Flag max loads, $1k/$1k/$500 within a short time, maybe even up to a day. And flag accounts that have loads and drains within a 24 hour (or 48 or 72) window that match in dollar amounts. Further, I would start with tight time frames first. Flag the biggest abusers. Then increase the time window on further passes. I do believe that spending at Target is very beneficial to your account. This is what they want. Granted, I have no proof or insight to the methodology. I am just speculating.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred

What you should do is run to Target and start buying stuff. Surely, you need toilet paper, Tide, Ben & Jerry's, notebook paper, school supplies... SOMETHING. Then do it again tomorrow.
We had been leaving some money on RedBird and using it for purchases at Target. They have the best prices on soft goods / detergent etc. so it was nice to get the 5% discount. Wish I could figure out why I was targeted for shutdown.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Fred
If I were going to code up an algorithm to catch abuse, and I firmly believe a computer is doing a first pass, there are way too many accounts to go through by hand, I would start with two criteria. Flag max loads, $1k/$1k/$500 within a short time, maybe even up to a day. And flag accounts that have loads and drains within a 24 hour (or 48 or 72) window that match in dollar amounts. Further, I would start with tight time frames first. Flag the biggest abusers. Then increase the time window on further passes. I do believe that spending at Target is very beneficial to your account. This is what they want. Granted, I have no proof or insight to the methodology. I am just speculating.
Repeated loads of the the same large amount could also be a trigger. Repeated $500, repeated $750, repeated $800, etc. Something to find a pattern. Or maybe as simple as finding people who do >$4500 per month or something.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:13 pm

The Copyright of communication by REDcard has been recently updated as '2014-15'. OP's email is still showing '2014'... Nice job OP.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Other new threads that have something to do with a subject already covered in an existing thread get merged. Why isn't this one being merged into the existing Redcard thread? Hmmmm?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Can you imagine the giggles the AMEX/Redbird folks are having reading these posts?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
Other new threads that have something to do with a subject already covered in an existing thread get merged. Why isn't this one being merged into the existing Redcard thread? Hmmmm?
I am new to MS and Flyer Talk, so I don't know why this new thread began. I agree it should be in the current 2015 thread. Regardless, the account closings are legit.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
The Copyright of communication by REDcard has been recently updated as '2014-15'. OP's email is still showing '2014'... Nice job OP.
My load confirmation from 2 days ago says 2014
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
So was their online access ever suspended? Seems odd that they never reported problems signing in before receiving this letter.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by OtherDave
Repeated loads of the the same large amount could also be a trigger. Repeated $500, repeated $750, repeated $800, etc. Something to find a pattern. Or maybe as simple as finding people who do >$4500 per month or something.
Yes, that could be the case. A little harder to code up at first. The hardest to code would be amounts that are always different. Remember, it's a person who is going to have to sit there and think it up. Randomness is harder to code up.

The easiest first targets are max loaders. They numbers are well defined, published.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by deant
We had been leaving some money on RedBird and using it for purchases at Target. They have the best prices on soft goods / detergent etc. so it was nice to get the 5% discount. Wish I could figure out why I was targeted for shutdown.
Wish I knew why you were too. All I can do is speculate. Did you load maximum per day $2500 (3 transactions) on two days of the month, to meet the $5k limit?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:33 pm

More than just the amounts of loads though, I think how quickly the money is removed from the account, and how much was spent at Target are more important.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If the e-mail were real it would violate FINCEN requirements, not to let the client know that a SAR has been filed/why. A real bank, particularly one as large as Amex would not reveal their reporting/closure thresholds.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:37 pm

I am completely baffled by why anyone is focusing on the copyright date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.