Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:42 am

I think the reason why AMEX CSR said "CASH ONLY" is because in AMEX's eyes, the reload process is indeed "CASH RELOAD". Log in your RB account, you will see how AMEX categorize the "DEBIT RELOAD". It always show "CASH RELOAD", even when the "CREDIT CARD RELOAD" was available.

So, I think, it's IT system of Target to blame.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    Keeping with the Pulp Fiction theme, I was cringing at the idea of them getting Medieval on us with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

Note: Profanities in this clip.
    [/url]
    So many people being an MS nervous rack today need to be reminded to be cool!

(Profanities on this clip also)

Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
    Which person looks more suspicious?

A. Man comes into store everyday with $1000 in paper currency (cash) to load his/family's prepaids.

B. Man comes into store to load his/family's prepaids using debit accounts which funds (cash) are traceable.

ML arguments against debit accounts are hilarious. Cash is the ultimate ml vehicle, not debits. I think people get mixed up between what is a ml risk and what is a fraud risk. Because TGt has the proper PINpads which accept chip cards they're not on the hook anyhow.

Hopefully this TGT change is a temporary glitch. If not, Trgt is about to lose a lot of customers they had once gained when they introduced this product. It really did bring in people like myself who'd never shopped there. My family shifted some of our regular shopping to them because we shop where we can also load our prepaids. It's a time factor. I'll have no reason to walk through their doors if Redcard is not usable like it was using debit with name on it. I'll shift spending back to WMT, FD and others where I can still load Serve.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
    Originally Posted by Churnman
    Which person looks more suspicious?

A. Man comes into store everyday with $1000 in cash to load his/family's prepaids.

B. Man comes into store to load his/family's prepaids using debit accounts which funds are traceable.

ML arguments against debit accounts are hilarious. Cash is the ultimate ml vehicle, not debits.

Hopefully this TGT change is a temporary glitch. If not, Trgt is about to lose a lot of customers they had once gained when they introduced this product. It really did bring in people like myself who'd never shopped there. My family shifted some of our regular shopping to them because we shop where we can also load our prepaids. It's a time factor. I'll have no reason to walk through their doors if Redcard is not usable like it was using debit with name on it. I'll shift spending back to WMT, FD and others where I can still load Serve.
    Well, a smart ML Man would buy GCs with cash to load onto RB.
    Only a small cost (would be the GC fee), but would be untraceable.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:15 am

Ok guys enough arguing about what looks fraudulent and what doesn't. who cares. Anyone did any loads this morning? Let's all report and get some more data points.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by zzrayzz
    You all miss something. With gebits, the next step is walking to the ATM and cashing it all out.

This is what the manager at one TGT told me as to why she trained all her staff to check the debit cards for names. Because she saw people using gift cards, then immediately going to the ATM and standing there doing multiple transactions to pull the same cash right back out.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
    Can confirm same error today @ target in van nuys
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Radster
    We are actually in agreement on this point. In the post(s) you are referring to, I was in the process of arguing this point with an OP (who, obviously, took the other side).
    Agreed, Radster. I am sorry I came across as rude. Thanks also for not responding in the same register! I was kind just wishing with you that somehow all the news is just SNAFU but my dry delivery doesn't work online. Keep posting, I'll read!
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:39 am

Same error this morning in San Francisco, CA
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by letopeto
    Ok guys, enough arguing about what looks fraudulent and what doesn't.
    When it comes down to it, Target makes hardly anything from this stuff. Throw in fraud(or at least the time the time and labor cost of dealing with fraud/training/etc), and it becomes a money loser.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
    Same problems in SC as well.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
    You all miss something. With gebits, the next step is walking to the ATM and cashing it all out.
    Indeed, and this is a Redbird (prepaid Amex) feature, not a gift/prepaid pin card, so it would make sense to disallow loading this product with no-name plastics, as oppose to try to go after each plastic source/card that can be used.

As to the argument that people would more easily commit fraud by showing up with cash to do money laundering...not only is money laundering not the only kind of fraud, but also, that's be one dumb fraudster walking into a Target store with cameras everywhere and loading thousands in cash to a prepaid account... it would be a highly unusual activity for a Target customer (therefore drawing huge attention), or for a US customer at a retail store for that matter (most people in the States don't circulate that kind of amount in cash anywhere).

But yeah, these are all educated guesses on our part, as such speculation until proven to be an indefinite/permanent new state. So here's hoping we would heed the advise above to focus more on reporting data points and less on trying to look into the Redbird crystal ball (though it is definitely tempting, the Force is strong with this one).
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mattvorwald
    I called customer service to inquire, and was advised specifically that as of October 1, debit reloads in store are no longer permitted.
    Hmm, since the CSR brought up and mentioned a specific date on their own, it could mean something. Maybe some kind of memo or email was recently distributed.
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
    Most (incl. yourself) don't understand the actual purpose of ML i.e., its about disguising the SOURCE OF THE INCOME... not the trace-ability of funds.

I've asked it before, Ill ask it again... didn't you watch Breaking Bad?
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
    Hmm, since the CSR brought up and mentioned a specific date on their own, it could mean something. Maybe some kind of memo or email was recently distributed.
    When it comes to such details from Redbird (prepaid Amex) reps, you're looking at broken telephone at best. It could be a memo given to them internally, or sent from Target, which could have been written up either before or after Oct 1st. Or it could be that they are basing the Oct 1st date on an internal Redbird/Amex memo (talking point) that is separate from the Target memo of debit cards being killed.

The parts about my convo with the Redbird supervisor last night which I gave more weight was that he was giving me the same consistent and certain verbiage that others had heard. Also, before the 1st level rep transf me to a supervisor she wanted to know why, so to give myself better chances of the supervisor having looked this up as opposed to him having made an educated guess, I spelled it out a couple of times to her and made sure she repeated it back correctly, that I wanted to know if this was a temporary or a permanent policy change and whether it was due to Amex or Target, and that it wasn't related to any technical issues. I was on hold waiting for the supervisor well over half an hour, but I'm sure most of it was due to them being bombarded with phone calls.

Having said all that, of all the things I listed last night as possible reason for Redbird being dead, this is not the strongest point in my mind, despite it being less speculative overall....it gets devalued by my overall idea/judgment of the Redbird cust service level of accurate knowledge about Redbird during the past year. Target cashiers are about just as clueless, so are most Target local management, more so on nuances. For instance not one Target local manager had a clue about why their registers freeze recently when activating temporary Redbirds.

Last edited by NoonRadar; Aug 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.