Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)


DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/


DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.


WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

    WEBSITE:
    This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

    PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month



    All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

    *For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

    ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

    RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

    Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

    Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

    Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

    Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

    Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

    Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

    Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

    Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

    Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

    Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

    Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

    Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

    Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

    Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

    Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

    Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

    Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

    Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

    Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

    Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

    Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

    Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)


    Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

    Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:06 am
      #10786  
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 287
    the problem is no one knows, and it might just be a software bug, and fixed next patch.
    isriam is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:22 am
      #10787  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: BOS
    Posts: 814
    So there are 3 reports from today of failures... any of success?
    xSTRIKEx6864 is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:23 am
      #10788  
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 1,338
    Originally Posted by zzrayzz
    Well, a smart ML Man would buy GCs with cash to load onto RB.
    Only a small cost (would be the GC fee), but would be untraceable.
    LOL, and the cash isn't traceable to begin with? I seriously laugh at all these threads talking about ML and RC when you guys/gals have frankly no clue in how ML is done.

    Let's make this simple. Does buying gift cards "clean" money? No. Does depositing money into RC with cash "clean" money? No. Just watch Scarface for the simplest example: Tony Montana used his "dirty" cash to buy/build businesses (beauty salon, travel agency, etc etc) to generate "clean" money. Buying GCs or depositing into RC doesn't "clean" money.
    MileageGoblin is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:24 am
      #10789  
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Posts: 1,784
    Originally Posted by isriam
    the problem is no one knows, and it might just be a software bug, and fixed next patch.
    Yeah, this is a glitch all right. Just like CVS being hard coded to not sell VRs with a cc, and RB being hard coded to not allow loading with CCs. Both of which got fixed very quickly.

    Oh, wait...

    I'm still looking for someone to explain what sort of a "glitch" removes the word credit from "3rd party credit cards", so that it now reads "3rd party CARDS"...
    RobertHanson is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:25 am
      #10790  
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Oakland CA
    Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
    Posts: 1,009
    You can blame me for this

    After reading this thread for months, I did my first GC load on Saturday ... one VGC and one MGC. And then they shut it down.

    Two weeks ago, I did the Amazon Prime deal with Amazon Fire Phones and activated a couple years of prime late in the evening of the 29th. The next day, they shut it down.

    I'm taking votes on which deal I should try next....
    dordal is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:31 am
      #10791  
     
    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: San Diego
    Posts: 229
    Originally Posted by dordal
    After reading this thread for months, I did my first GC load on Saturday ... one VGC and one MGC. And then they shut it down.

    Two weeks ago, I did the Amazon Prime deal with Amazon Fire Phones and activated a couple years of prime late in the evening of the 29th. The next day, they shut it down.

    I'm taking votes on which deal I should try next....
    you are THAT guy!!! jinxster!
    memphian901 is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:32 am
      #10792  
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: BOS .. but soon SFO
    Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
    Posts: 1,528
    Originally Posted by guppies
    Same error this morning in San Francisco, CA

    Which location? I'm going to try tanforan and serramonte this pm
    stupidzbu is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:38 am
      #10793  
    Used to be garyjr316
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: LAX or SBA
    Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
    Posts: 800
    Well... it looks like Im going to WM today to get rid of the VGC I had left. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end for Serve too.
    Dad to GO is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:46 am
      #10794  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Posts: 910
    More data points are needed indeed

    Good point that we still need more data points, def today and tomorrow (its only day 2 today).

    When trying to load look at the cashier computer screen (or ask them to show it to you, it can be somewhat tilted even behind the service desk counter) so you can confirm that if it denies it is the same error message (see here the pic I took yesterday).

    If you have them, try to load with an emv chip bank issued debit card, a non-emv bank issued debit card and with different types of pin-based prepaid/gift cards and with cash (small amounts). Also, ask local management to see if they have heard anything, hopefully today (if not by tomorrow) some of them bothered to call corporate and got some insight that they are willing to share.

    I did all these last night at the stores I tried to load (after I found out about it being dead):

    1) Cash loaded fine (it my first cash load), the receipt and email looked the same as with loading with gift/credit cards before.

    2) Both debit cards and the pin gift cards (Vanilla and Meta) gave the same error message.

    3) Local Target management had no clue, they all were doing educated guesses and basic troubleshooting steps (i.e. it is maybe a network/debit card issue, etc).

    On one of the tries last night I even had the Target manager select debit on her screen (see step 4 of the K8 guide) during loading, just to rule things out. All that changed was that it didn't prompt me to select debit/credit, but gave the same denial error message.

    P.S. What other things do you suggest we/people for troubleshooting and data points purposes?

    Last edited by NoonRadar; Oct 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm
    NoonRadar is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:09 pm
      #10795  
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: BOS .. but soon SFO
    Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
    Posts: 1,528
    Originally Posted by NoonRadar
    Good point that we still need more data points, def today and tomorrow (its only day 2 today).

    When trying to load look at the cashier computer screen (or ask them to show it to you, it can be somewhat tilted even behind the service desk counter) so you can confirm that if it denies it is the same error message (see here the pic I took yesterday).

    If you have them, try to load with an emv chip bank issued debit card, a non-emv bank issued debit card and with different types of pin-based prepaid/gift cards and with cash (small amounts). Also, ask local management to see if they have heard anything, hopefully today (if not by tomorrow) some of them bothered to call corporate and got some insight that they are willing to share.

    I did all these last night at the stores I tried to load (after I found out about it being dead):

    1) Cash loaded fine (it my first cash load), the receipt and email looked the same as with loading with gift/credit cards before.

    2) Both debit cards and the pin gift cards (Vanilla and Meta) gave the same error message.

    3) Local Target management had no clue, they all were doing educated guesses and basic troubleshooting steps (i.e. it is maybe a network/debit card issue, etc).

    On one of the tries last night I even had the Target manager select debit on her screen (see step 4 of the K8 guide) during loading, just to rule things out. All that changed was that it didn't prompt me to select debit/credit, but gave the same denial error message.
    All the targets I've tried for the last 2 weeks have a new setup where it doesn't ask for debit credit but says something like "enter pin for cruddy press enter for credit"
    stupidzbu is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:14 pm
      #10796  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Location: LAC
    Programs: Regal Crown Club
    Posts: 488
    I just find it amusing how many folks here think that Hollywood, or even worse, TV producers have an idea how real money laundering is done. This is fiction. They're on a budget - time and money wise - they don't pay insiders nor take the time to learn how any of that is done in real life just for a 42 minute episode which is forgotten the very next day. It's a shame what has become of America when everything on TV must be the true and only way to do things...
    Julian Brennan is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:26 pm
      #10797  
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 284
    Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
    I just find it amusing how many folks here think that Hollywood, or even worse, TV producers have an idea how real money laundering is done. This is fiction. They're on a budget - time and money wise - they don't pay insiders nor take the time to learn how any of that is done in real life just for a 42 minute episode which is forgotten the very next day. It's a shame what has become of America when everything on TV must be the true and only way to do things...
    And conversely, just because it's on TV doesn't mean its NOT based on reality.

    "ML: ML refers to a financial transaction scheme that aims to conceal the identity, source, and destination of illicitly-obtained money." - https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/money_laundering
    Radster is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:31 pm
      #10798  
     
    Join Date: Jul 2001
    Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Posts: 5,536
    Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
    I just find it amusing how many folks here think that Hollywood, or even worse, TV producers have an idea how real money laundering is done. This is fiction. They're on a budget - time and money wise - they don't pay insiders nor take the time to learn how any of that is done in real life just for a 42 minute episode which is forgotten the very next day. It's a shame what has become of America when everything on TV must be the true and only way to do things...
    I found this on the internet, so it has to be the correct way to launder money.
    Watch the video and you too can be a money launderer.

    iflyjetz is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:33 pm
      #10799  
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 509
    Oh God, enough! Seriously, I can't believe this is being discussed on a prepaid card feed. Either post data points or take this garbage somewhere else you are clogging up this feed.

    All I need are facts, I.e. Didn't load at xxx...not some crap about cleaning money based on a TV show. Can you start another feed for that?


    I'll start, attempted vgc load at downtown la target. Same error message. @9:55am



    Originally Posted by Radster
    And conversely, just because it's on TV doesn't mean its NOT based on reality.

    "ML: ML refers to a financial transaction scheme that aims to conceal the identity, source, and destination of illicitly-obtained money." - https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/money_laundering
    ManFactSpendLA is offline  
    Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:38 pm
      #10800  
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 284
    Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
    Oh God, enough! Seriously, I can't believe this is being discussed on a prepaid card feed. Either post data points or take this garbage somewhere else you are clogging up this feed.

    All I need are facts, I.e. Didn't load at xxx...not some crap about cleaning money based on a TV show. Can you start another feed for that?


    I'll start, attempted vgc load at downtown la target. Same error message. @9:55am
    In my defense... he started it!
    Radster is offline  

    Thread Tools
    Search this Thread

    Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

    This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.