Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

Your debit card online through your Account
Cash at a Target Store
Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the cards load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own drivers license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I cant promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:47 pm
    Original Poster

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Does anyone get an error when trying to add their Barclay's Arrival card to the bill pay? I kind of want to avoid calling in...
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
    Does anyone get an error when trying to add their Barclay's Arrival card to the bill pay? I kind of want to avoid calling in...
    Try Barclay's Bank Delaware.
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
    I just added mine successfully tonight and made a bill pay. Maybe try again later?
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
    Originally Posted by sam250240
    Does anyone have any data point whether reloading the Redbird with an Amex credit card (particularly the old Amex Blue Cash) will trigger a financial review or shut down?
    You do realize that Target codes as "discount store" for all Amex cards, right? It would be a waste to use OBC in this situation. Surely just about any other 2%+ CB card will pay more than OBC.
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:49 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by xraywinedrinker
    Try Barclay's Bank Delaware.
    Sorry for the (probably) redundant question, but did you try this successfully? I just want to confirm. Thank you.
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
    I just loaded $2500 today on each of two cards. I'm hoping (if not no big deal) that these loads will count towards spend for 2015 for the Delta Amex I used.
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell
    I just loaded $2500 today on each of two cards. I'm hoping (if not no big deal) that these loads will count towards spend for 2015 for the Delta Amex I used.
    Good to know. I just tried to load at my local Target and got a refused payment. Tried with my Delta Amex, and my Citi HH card. I just loaded on the 20th, and I'm not up against the max load. I'm hoping it's just an incompetent cashier.
    Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
    Originally Posted by Brugge
    ^ We are flying to Singapore in Feb in Suites Class, paid for with miles. The retail cost is around $7K per person one way. Coming back AA 777 FC.

I would never fly 19 hours in Economy, but with our own enclosed Suite, not to mention caviar and Krug Champagne, I'm looking forward to the flight as well as the trip.
    Sounds awesome! I'm going to put you in charge of booking my future flights!
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by felixbball
    In California, where no RBs can be found. Can someone help me out? Feel free to PM. Thanks
    You don't say where in california. I am in orange county and saw some at the target in garden grove at corner of harbor and chapman on christmas eve. They were next to the greeting card section
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:13 am

Anyone got the first successful load of 2015 down?
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:20 am

Loaded 2 cards successfully just now. $2500 each. Mix of CC load and AGC.
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
    If you do $2,500 per day it might. That's a strange number for a retail store and if it's repetitive, AMEX might ponder what is going on.

I have a Target 2 minutes from my house and I will probably load strange amounts like 881 or 677.
    But why would you want to, unless you are trying to meet threshold. It's a 1% load (and 0.5% before $6,500)
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Found a store which sells the Target prepaid card with the amex logo at bottom left. I was told it would cost $3 to load it each time.

Doesn't sound right. Is this correct?
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
    Originally Posted by metoo
    Found a store which sells the Target prepaid card with the amex logo at bottom left. I was told it would cost $3 to load it each time.

No!

Read the Wiki please. It will tell you the states where this is available and you can view a photo of the card.

You have the wrong card.
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:32 am
    Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by metoo

That's the Amex for Target. It has its own thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.